The best underground dog fences are sorely underrated. They deter your pet from running away and even coming back.
If you add one to your list of pet supplies, you’ll never have to worry about your dog running off again.
|PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence||Best Overall|
|AngelaKerry Wireless Dog Fence System||Budget Pick|
|Extreme Dog Fence Max Grade Ultimate Performance Electric Dog Fence System||Upgrade Pick|
1. PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 1-year warranty
- Low maintenance
- Accurate, consistent and effective
- Water resistant powder-coated transmitter
- Quick and easy installment
- Installation requires a professional or an experienced do-it-yourselfer
- Transmitter settings takes some time to set up for a pet
With UG17 Battery Operated Transmitter and Receiver (up to 3 Pets) – Flexible: Easily Adjust Settings for Multiple Pets – Proven Containment (Includes Invisible Fence Brand Rolling Cart for Easy Transportation and Storage – High Visibility Day or Night
This is one of the best underground dog fence systems you’re going to find in the market. It’s also the best option available if you’ve owned a fence system previously.
The PetSafe Stubborn fence is a great tool for anyone with puppies or adult dogs that like to ram at the fence – as the name implies, this model is only for dogs that display this behavior.
2. Extreme Dog Fence Max Grade Ultimate Performance Electric Dog Fence System
- Lifetime Warranty
- Lifetime Free Technical Support
- 100 Levels of Static Correction
And Heavy Duty 2-Inch Tubing. 100 Level of Static Correction and Dual Boundary Lines
I decided to go with the Extreme Dog Fence Electric Dog Fence System based on its quality. It produces top-of-the-line products and it’s worth the investment.
3. Extreme Dog Fence
- Easy setup process
- Comprehensive instructional guide
- Copper wire
- Superior build quality
- Waterproof cover
- Requires at least 1 acre of land
- Battery life is only good for a couple of months
- Not ideal for smaller breeds
Our review of underground dog fences had us conclude that the Extreme Dog Fence – Second Generation is our top pick. This dog fence offers an incredible value for customers, as it requires the purchase of just 1 transmitter and 1 collar. All other collars you get are additional to that.
Because of this purchase model, this product is more affordable than its competitors. This is a great choice for pet parents who have more than 1 pet.
4. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
- The SportDOG Brand System is compatible with all dog breeds, fully modular, compatible with Invisible Fence Brand (IF) A/C/D/E accessories.
- Includes Dog Containment (Wireless Fence) System, AC Transmitter, (3) Perimeter Wire, In-Ground Collar, Batteries and AC Adapter.
- Add dog training collar, 3 Dog Perimeter Kits, and Wireless fence dog containment system accessories to comply with local laws.
- Low battery indicator and tone Vibration/ Static and Tone can be independently switched on or off.
- The batteries can be replaceable or rechargeable, battery life is dependent on size of dog and intensity of training.
The collar is waterproof and submersible to 85.3 feet.
In some cases, the perimeter wire may not be easily buried. (property lines, rocky soil)
As the collars can be found discounted on sites other than Amazon (seller beware), a bit of research is needed and a warranty through the vendor is advised.
5. Extreme Dog Fence
- Easy DIY setup per package
- All Basic Repairs
- Alarms delayed action
- Triggers and collars may not be included
Since we had a hard time picking our top pick for best underground dog fences, we decided to do a detailed review on a product that ranked properly in our 2020 reviews.
The Extreme Dog Fence is a great pick if you don’t want to dig holes all over your yard for your dog’s fence and save a lot of time on installation.
The company provides all the clips, wires, and other parts you need to set up your fence at your residence.
6. PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence
- Best seller in underground pet fence category
- Easy installation
- Compact and portable
Low Profile …
Once again, PetSafe offers a solid product that has everything you need at an affordable price. Their Stay & Play system is designed for fence-averse pets and ideal for households with multiple pets.
When testing this unit, I was pleased with the stability of the transmitter, as it rarely moved or vibrated. Pet owners won’t have to worry about a finicky transmitter during their installation process.
7. PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
- Waterproof transmitter
- Extends to 6 acres
- More than 500 feet of wire included
- No underground wire necessary; broadcasts signal through air
- Waterproof collar
- Smart collar technology corrects unwanted behaviors immediately
- Reliability issues
When it comes to keeping excited pets from running out of the yard, the best dog fence reviews lead us to PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence.
Here’s the thing: in-ground fences are great. They’re simple to set-up, and once the transmitter is in place, there are no wires to bury, ensuring the safety of curious pets who like to dig.
But when dog owners want more than one pet, it’s simply not possible to limit their play by stringing a wire all around the yard. And, if cats are part of the equation, the wire portion of the fence would need to be underground to keep out digging kitties.
8. PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
- Provides 100% Boundary Security
- Easy to Install
- Sturdy and Effective
- The collar is bulky
While this electric dog fence by PetSafe is a huge step forward in evolution of pet training, it still has a long way to go until it erases the memory of this particular training method in the mind of the average dog owner.
This product has been redesigned, re-engineered and re-designed again (with a vision that has been around since the 1930’s). The PetSafe Basic System is now powered by PetSafe’s Patented SmartCode Technology, which provides real-time control over the boundary. You just have to choose your code, and the dog collar will instantly and automatically alert your dog when he/she crosses the fence.
The collar is waterproof, rechargeable and contains a treat dispenser that allows you to treat your dog when he/she returns to the “good side.”
9. PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
- Easy to setup and use by anyone
- No wires to bury; just setup, turn on, and you are ready to go
- The patented rechargeable batteries last up to 6 months
- A variety of enclosure sizes to choose from
- Three minutes shock duration might make your pet immune to the shock
- Operates on a wireless frequency, and can be interfered with by other wireless products like home security systems
- The collars can be tricky to put on and take off
The PetSafe Wireless Dog Fence is a true revolution in the world of pet containment. No need to bury or run wires and no need to apply any sort of shock. It operates on a wireless frequency and it’s waterproof (IP55 approved).
With the PetSafe system, the receiver collar acts as your dog’s permanent identification collar. It gives you the perfect tool to train your dog so it will know its boundaries.
10. Free Spirit In-Ground Fence
- The materials are high quality
- The system works incredibly well, and it is a little expensive.
- It is a little expensive.
- This is the best underground dog fence that is sold on the market today, and it is an amazing product that can be considered as a great addition to any home, and it is a great dog fence that can keep your dogs indoors or restrict their access depending on what you need.
11. Petsafe Stubborn Dog Fence
- Small, compact unit
- Outstanding customer service
The Petsafe Stubborn Dog Fence, 2-dog system PIG00-10777 is an inexpensive underground dog fence that comes with a ton of positive features. One of the most notable aspects of this system is that it’s generally lighter than its competitors. It also has a sleek design, which gives it a superior look.
To make sure that you’re making the right decision, we’ve consulted with our colleagues at the DoggyDin code of conduct, specialists in products that help keep our furry friends safe. They say that this product is ideal for those who want to implement discipline without causing injury.
Moreover, the Petsafe Stubborn Dog Fence is lightweight, powered by two 9-volt batteries. The batteries are long lasting, so your pet shouldn’t get caught outside of the clear zone for long periods of time.
12. Sit Boo-Boo Electric Fence Advanced
- Effective and safe
- Easy to follow instructions
- Collar communicates with the wire via radio frequency
- Highly waterproof collar
- Strong, thick wire with a 10-year warranty
- Some of the wires are not as effective as advertised
- This model is more expensive than most fences
When it comes to fence design and technology Sit Boo-Boo Electric Fence are the pioneers of the underground dog fence. This model is slightly more expensive than the rest, but there’s a reason… Simple installation and quality materials used to create the fence make it one of the most effective and safest options.
The weatherproof IPV7 collar features a rechargeable battery up to 40 hours of use before it needs to be recharged. It also communicates with the wire via radio frequency so there are no wires or plugs for your pet to try to chew.
You can purchase the wire either above or below the ground from 75ft to 10,000ft depending on the area you’re looking to fence and the size of your pet. Available in both 15ft and 20ft lengths, you can customise your fence to ensure your pet can’t run from corner to corner.
13. Dogtra E-Fence 3500 40-Acre HPP Vibration Advanced Filtering System Underground Electric Fence
- Best Quality & Value
- Clear Backlighted LCD Display
- Long Battery Life
- Extremely Easy Installation
- Relatively Expensive
- The E-fence is meant for smaller dogs
Every dog owner knows that having control over your canine buddy is an important part of protecting your household, as well as his/her own safety. Most good fences for dogs use either wireless or wired systems dependent on a lot of different factors, but either way they are cumbersome and not always very practical. The Dogtra E-fence is one of the best underground electric fences you can get in terms of value for the money spent and quality of function.
The Dogtra E-fence is easily one of my top picks because of how simple it is to install. Anyone who has wired fences knows how frustrating it can be to get even slightly complex systems up and running and this one is absolutely not one of them.
Simply connect the wire of the E-fence to the dog collar and then place the integrated transmitter in a location where you can reach it easily without interacting with the wire, then simply turn on the unit and let the dog go to it. The collar will vibrate to indicate the dog has crossed the first boundary and this will be repeated at higher and higher levels until the dog finally learns his/her boundaries.
14. TTPet Electric Dog Fence,In-ground/Aboveground Pet Containment System
- Extremely affordable
- Dimmable and waterproof collar
- 15 levels of static stimulation
- Short lifespan
- Low range
- The unit can only be powered by the AC adapter
Dog Training,Rural Area(2 Dog System).
The PetSafe PIF-300 is a great low cost option for dogs who are happy to stick to the boundaries of their yards.
The transmitter is a lightweight and waterproof plastic structure. At the bottom of the transmitter is a tube sized to fit an AC adapter which is included.
15. Sit Boo-Boo Electric Dog Fence and Pet Containment System In-Ground or Above Ground Installation
- It comes with a one year warranty
- You can use it even for dogs with neck sizes between 9.1 inches to 14 inches
- The installation is straightforward and even a 1-year old can help you get it done
- You don’t need to bury the power wire
- You can install the whole thing in under 2 hours
- Waterproof transmitter and waterproof collar
- It comes in a package with 3 collars to make installation easier
- Great customer service
- The fence is completely wireless, and thus won’t impact your WiFi or Internet network
16. KoolKani Remote Dog Training Shock Collar & Underground/in-Ground Electric Electronic Containment Fence Boundary System Combo
- Fits a wide range of dog sizes weighing up to 110 lbs.
- Allows for day and night operation thanks to the built in solar panel.
- Patented advanced water resistant design.
- Two collar capability and upgrades available.
- Full color digital display and remote system are accessible through the mobile app.
- Superior waterproof design.
- Wire breakage detection feature.
- A proximity alert that keeps you from stepping on or running through wires.
- The fence, collar, and remote system are adjustable to fit a large variety of body types and breeds.
- No specialized training material.
- Doesn't work well in wider spaces, deep woods, and large yards.
Searching for the best underground dog fences on the market today was a difficult endeavor. They come in pretty much every shape and size imaginable with a variety of features that make them all good choices.
However, I found that the KoolKani Remote Dog Training Shock Collar & Underground/in-Ground Electric Electronic Containment Fence Boundary System Combo for Small,Medium and Large Dog (Two Dog System) is the best choice for most people who want to put an end to those daily walks.
This underground dog fence setup is specifically designed to help you train this nuisance behavior out of your dog, and keep him safely within your property.
17. AngelaKerry Wireless Dog Fence System
- One-year risk-free guarantee
- Professional customer service
- Money-back guarantee
- Lightweight collar (do not use for breeds over 25 lbs)
- Only has 3 mounting options: post, fence, or wood
- No in-house support
Our top pick for this category is the AngelaKerry Wireless Pet Containment System. The main attraction of this product is its GPS smart fence and its rechargeable remote.
The included .5-mile range remote is a bit larger than a handheld remote, and it has a power switch, a flip up antenna, and LED indicators to see the boundary of your fence.
The collar has all-day life with the included no batteries required batteries and can operate for over a month before needing a charge.
18. Earlyhights Underground Electric Outdoor Dog Containment Fence System,5 Acre Range 500 Ft In Ground Wire
- Two options of containment fence
Fido can sure be a handful to have around when he’s left to roam around the town. Thankfully, there’s a safe way to keep your pet at your side and off unwanted encounters with predators. And this underground fence is your good friend to have.
The Earlyhight’s underground fence is composed of a wire transmitter, a wire, and a ground rod. The two parts of the wire are connected by a transmitter. When the dog steps on the wire, the transmitter sends a signal to a collar worn by your pet, who will associate the sound and feeling with the pain and discomfort. This helps them learn to avoid that wire.
19. Monell Pets Petsafe Stubborn Large Dog In-Ground Electric Fence PIG00-10777 20 Gauge 1000'
- 2,000-foot long boundary
- Easy to install
- Offers complete dog training solutions
- Not harmful for your pet
The Monell Pets Petsafe Stubborn Large Dog In-Ground Electric Fence PIG00-10777 20 Gauge 1000’ Foot Spool is our pick for the best underground dog fence. It’s red wire/black wire which makes it easier to install.
The no-shock, extra-controllable, chain-link boundary wire/cable is a simple but effective containment system that allows dogs to roam up to 1,000 feet of the edge of your home regardless of whether you have a farm or not.
The 100 percent polyethylene insulator must be strapped to the ground for the boundary wire to be effective.
20. COVONO Electric Dog Fence,In Ground Pet Containment System
- No wire-burying time
- Quick to set up
- Excellent customer support
- Has waterproof wireless receiver
- No waterproof collar
If you live in an area with tough terrain our pick for the best underground dog fence is the COVONO electric dog fence. Its construction is much easier than classic in-ground fencing and digging work is minimal. Plus, you can also adjust the dimensions by extending the perimeter wire using the connection kits that are included.
Due to its aboveground design, COVONO dog fence has zero interference with cars, bikes, and pets, which is an issue that can be problematic for some in-ground kits.
The fence is much cheaper than an underground fence and can be used by people looking to cover a small area, or by those who are just starting out. It’s completely waterproof and includes a waterproof receiver collar. The wireless collar has 3 correction levels – static, tone, and anti-bark. You can choose to use the static correction level or combination of tone and static, which will ensure that there are no false warning signals due to unexpected noises.
21. COVONO Electric Dog Fence,Upgraded In Ground Pet Containment System(Underground/Aboveground,500Ft Wire,Waterproof&Rechargeable Collar,Static/Tone Correction,Supprot 2 Dogs)
- Long Battery Life
- Adjustable Static Correction Levels
The COVONO is my top pick among best underground dog fence systems due to its great features and strong customer support. The COVONO is rechargeable, water resistant, and works both underground and aboveground.
It has long-lasting batteries and the collar is completely rechargeable and best of all, there’s a lifetime limited warranty. You’re also able to control how much static correction your dog gets using the transmitter.
The absence of cables underneath your lawn is also a plus for many people looking for a wireless dog containment system. The only design flaw that I see with this barrier is the plastic receptacle used to introduce the wire into the ground.
22. dr.tiger Electric Dog Fence
- Easy to use.
- Great customer service.
- Slightly flimsy.
- Can't work for all dogs.
Gone are the days of attaching a lot of cumbersome wires to your dog's neck. Now, we've advanced to this wireless, easy to use dog fence. You don't have to put any wires on your pooch, no matter its size.
No more struggling to go around the perimeter of your garden to put the wires up and attaching the base station. Now, you can move the fence around with the range from 20 feet, 180 feet up-to 300 feet. It's totally up to you. Place it in the back yard, front yard, side yard, or balcony.
When your dog goes out of the fence that you have set, it will get a bark, beep or shock correction. Once he comes back, it will stop the correction. If your dog runs away for the second time, then it will give the highest level of the shock.
23. COVONO Electric Dog Fence,In Ground Pet Containment System
- Easy to set up
- Rechargeable collar
- Great for both dogs and cats
- Low maintenance
- Plenty of power
- Can handle multiple dogs
- Reasonable price
How Do Underground Dog Fences Work?
The most important feature of an underground dog fence is its perimeter wire, which acts as a border for your dog and which the collar will zap your pet if he attempts to cross.
There are different electronic dog fence systems in the market that use different layouts of perimeter wire. For example, some use one long wire which emanates with a signal from a control box. Others use a wire loop that covers more of your property.
24. CEVENE Electric Dog Fence,Aboveground/Underground Dog Containment System(IP66 Waterproof and Rechargeable Collar,Shock/Tone Correction,for 1 Dog)
- Splits into two-separate fences
- Includes one waterproof and rechargeable collar
- Two-year warranty
- Poor customer service
- Shocking and/or correction
I’ve owned the CEVENE fence for about 9 years and have now put four dogs through it. It has worked flawlessly, always with construction quality and ease of installation being an issue. I have never received so much as a call from CEVENE, much less a response to my email inquiries.
25. Wireless Dog Fence Electric Pet Containment System
- Waterproof and rechargable
- Adjustable control range up to 1000 feet
- Safe and effective for all types of dogs
- More efficient than chain or electric fences
- 48 levels of intensity for shocks
- Tone-only setting for warning on boundary
- Up to 5 collars per transmitter
- 90 day warranty
Different stages of a dog’s life require different types of fences and collars. Puppies, for instance, don’t particularly enjoy shocks and would rather munch on the furniture than wear collars that trigger a shock when they run outside the invisible fence boundary.
Thus, pet fence systems come in all sizes, shapes, and degrees of toughness, some for small puppies, and others that are more suitable for adult dogs.
While an electric system is far from the most humane of dog fences, it’s necessary for those dogs that simply won’t respond to any other types of dog fence.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best brand of underground dog fence?
National Research Council has estimated that dogs are the 15th leading cause of death in the United States. Especially when dogs are let off the lead they can cause serious injuries to people and other animals. In these situations we need an underground dog fence to keep them safe.
Petcord Pet containment is the best choice if you are looking for a wireless dog fence to keep your pet safe and stop it from running away. Petcor is the best-known brand in pet containment products and nobody has been able to match the value for money they offer.
With the Petcor you will have a wireless dog fence that you can take wherever you go. You will be able to train your dog to be a polite member of society and not charge after people or other animals. The Petcor is the perfect way to keep your pet safe.
Do underground dog fences really work?
Yes, but it depends largely on understanding your dog, your yard, and the type of fence you choose. An underground dog fence is basically a wire installed around your yard that, when your dog approaches it, receives a signal from the wire and triggers its collar, giving it a small shock.
Most dogs learn to avoid the shock once the stimulation starts, and the wire around the fence alerts your dog with the stimulation before it actually reaches the fence. Size, breed, and age all affect how quickly your dog will learn to avoid the fence. For example, smaller dogs may learn faster than large dogs.
Even though underground dog fences are highly effective most dogs will still make mistakes. Around the house, some dogs will try to escape from the yard, and will want to play with wildlife or run off-leash with other dogs.
What is the best electric dog fence?
To be clear, this is not a wire around your dog’s neck! An Electronic dog fence is a wireless electronic barrier that keeps your dog in your yard, but lets him leave when you need him to.
The dog does NOT wear a collar. Instead, a long thin wire (electro-net) is buried around the perimeter of your yard, and your dog wears a special collar with a receiver on his back.
When he approaches the perimeter of your yard, the receiver applies a warning signal to his neck.
If he doesn’t retreat, the receiver automatically issues a correction until he returns to safety.
What gauge wire is best for underground dog fence?
For the most part, the thicker the wire the better. You want to find an underground dog fence with thicker gauge wire because it will deliver a higher shock and is less likely to break if your dog tries to run through the fence.
The diameter of the wire is what determines the resistance. The best fence should have about 12-gauge wire. Thinner wire can be penetrated more easily and will not always deliver a strong enough shock to deter your dog from running through the fence.
There are a lot of factors to consider when looking for an underground dog fence, including many factors that are very important to the effectiveness and quality of the system. This Ultimate guide To The Best Underground Dog Fences Of 2019 should help you get a simple idea of what to look for in a good underground system so you will not waste time and money on ones that are not adequate.
|PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence||Best Overall|
|AngelaKerry Wireless Dog Fence System||Budget Pick|
|Extreme Dog Fence Max Grade Ultimate Performance Electric Dog Fence System||Upgrade Pick|