If you’ve ever tried to potty train a puppy but weren’t sure if those training pads actually work well, then you’re in the right place.
You dog is unique and you should get the training pad that best fits his needs.
Bonus: We put together a cool training pad guide with everything you need to know about training pads.
|Four Paws Wee-Wee Puppy Training X-Large Size 28" x 34" Pee Pads||Best Overall|
|Pet Parents Pawtect Pads Washable Dog Pee Pads||Budget Pick|
|Downtown Pet Supply Dog Pee Potty Pad||Upgrade Pick|
1. Four Paws Wee-Wee Puppy Training X-Large Size 28" x 34" Pee Pads
- Great for house training
- Thick and springy
- Available at different sizes
- Not ideal for outdoor use
- Can be noisy
If you’re looking for a durable, absorbent, and super functional pee pad for your new puppy or dog, this is a great option. The size of this pad makes it ideal for indoor use and is just enough to accommodate a fully grown dog.
These pads are very absorbent and can hold up many times their weight in liquid. This means you can expect a small spill from your pet to cover an area the size of a standard dinner plate. And they can hold up for a long time. There are no reports of the pad tearing or leaking, which is exactly what you want from an indoor puppy pad like this.
What’s more, these pads are somewhat loud when your dog jumps or moves around the pad. This means you don’t have to worry about your dog staying quiet. It’s virtually impossible for them to move around silently. Each time your dog jumps, steps, or moves the pad will make a loud crinkling sound.
2. All-Absorb Training Pads
- Easy to change
- Good quality specially designed for training
- Keeps puppies dry
The PetSafe All-absorb training pads is made especially for puppies. It’s a great training solution that is much more convenient than you’d think.
One of the main things I wish I had known when my puppy was a wee puppy was how to train him to potty outside. It’s something that would have kept the house a lot cleaner.
This is a high quality training pad, which is great for training puppies and their housebreaking process. It has leak-proof sides, has a line on it so you can see how full it is and is made of absorbent materials.
3. Pet Parents Pawtect Pads Washable Dog Pee Pads
- Premium washable pee pads, made with the same quality material and same durability as the ones for baby training.
- Good size ( 12 inches by 12 inches in size).
- Your puppy can learn easily in the first place to use the potty.
- Cute, beautiful, fresh and environment-friendly in the same time ( same as the wee wee washable pads for babies).
- Multi-purpose: Suit for your lovely pet overnight or indoor potty training, puppy potty training, pet crate training, among other animals, protects clothing while marking territory.
- It is a little expensive though.
The Pet Parents Pawtect Pads is on the top of my top picks any day. They are washable pads to help you train your puppy to use the bathroom indoors. They are especially made for indoor potty training, puppy potty training, dog potty training, among others.
When you think of pet pads, pet bed, litter boxes, dog training pads, you can also use them for dogs. The Pet Parents Peatect Pads can be used for all the same purposes as the wee wee pads for the precious little human babies.
I especially love this one because you can wash it to be used again and again. Soft, fluffly, adorable little pee pads.
4. IRIS USA Neat 'n Dry Premium Pet Training Pads
- Strong odor control
- Waterproof protection
- Durable and comfortable
What’s NeatnDry dog pads? NeatnDry’s unique patented technology instantly turns the surface into a liquid absorbing super sponge for pets.
The Granules in NeatnDry pads are evenly dispersed and do not clump. They are all within the internal channels of the pad that prevents any possible liquid run off.
NeatNDr will not leak out even if the pad is soiled. It will remain dry.
5. KOOLTAIL Washable Pee Pads
- Easily washable
- Heavy duty material
- Absorb a lot of pee
- Water proof
- We gave it the "best puppy pads" title; they're not the best looking pads
- The cord that makes it water-proof is a little unsightly
The KOOTKLAIL is the only pee pad that has a warranty that promises it will last for the lifetime of your pet! I also love the pattern and look of this pet pad. I am listing this one on Amazon because they have such a great deal; it is similar to those on line sites, but this one doesn't have in-built shipping fees.
The top of the pad is waterproof, and the bottom is soft and absorbent. This is what makes it the best puppy pee pad hands down. They don't have that vinyl, rubber, latex smell, and you can easily wash them.
I did think it was a little weird that there is a string that goes through the middle of the pad that is not removable; it makes the pad waterproof. I would have preferred to flip the pads and clean the other side as well, but that is not possible with this specific mattress.
6. Puppy Pads Dog Pee Pad
The Pet Training Pads by Smart Pet Love are the best top-selling puppy pad you can find on the market.
These are pads designed to be used for training purposes. Both for male dogs and females dogs. The Pet Training Pads can be used for multiple purposes:
These puppy pads are made from soft, thick, and absorb-ent foam, so your dog will usually feel more comfortable. These pet training pads allow your pet to learn how to hold it in and then get to a designated bathroom without being punished!
7. Careoutfit Pack of 4
- Weather resistant
- Super durable
- The surfaces are very effective for catching urine
- The pads aren’t very absorbent
- As the names indicates the pads aren’t washable
- Rarely used by people who need them the most
The Careoutfit Pack is one of the best puppy pee pads I could find. For a dog owner with a house full of carpet the pads definitely aren’t the first choice, but they are an affordable option for anyone owning outdoor pets.
The pads are really durable, and once they are deployed on the floor there’s no turning back – they stay there until the mission is complete. It’s quite risky to use them in a house full of carpet, but if you don’t want to use them indoors you can place the pads on a crate or a balcony, safe from the destructive paws of your puppy.
8. AmazonBasics Odor-Control Carbon Pet Dog and Puppy Training Pads
- Deodorizes within 24 hours
- Provides a soft surface for dogs to relieve themselves
- Can’t wash pads
- Pads don’t work on shaggy dogs
AmazonBasics is one of our favorite brands when it comes to household products. They cover a wide range of categories and offer affordable products that are made with solid design and a sturdy base.
The AmazonBasics dog training pads might not look like much, but they’re exactly what they promise. They’re made with a no-scent polymer that neutralizes odors and absorbs all liquid within 24 hours. This means you don’t have to worry about leaks.
This product comes in three different sizes, which you can find by looking at the dimensions in the description. They’re about 1-inch think, which is a good enough padding for most dogs when they sit on them. It is a little thinner than some other models on the market, but the efficiency of neutralizing odors and absorbing liquids will make up for the lack of thickness.
9. All-Absorb A01 Training Pads 22-inch by 23-inch
- Absorbs quickly
- Lasts for HOURS
- Also BPA-Free
The win here goes to the All-Absorb A01 Training Pad due to its fantastic absorption capacity even when wet. In addition, it's BPA and phthalate-free, which means you can rest easy knowing that your puppy is safe.
However, the big downside here is the fact that the large size is actually smaller than some other brands, so will you have to use more of these, which will ultimately cost you more money.
10. American Kennel Club Pet Training and Puppy Pads
- Very absorbent
- Multiple size options
- Not bio-degradable
- Sized for one time use
The American Kennel Club Puppy Pads are a must-have for the new puppy owner. These pads are perfect for housebreaking your new addition to the family.
The pads can absorb more than an entire cup of water, which means that your dog will have enough time to relieve themselves. This will save you time and energy spent towel-drying their fur.
11. GOBUDDY Super Absorbent Pet Training Puppy Pads 22" x 22" 100 Count
- Highly absorbent training puppy pads
- Comes in two sizes (22" x 22" and smaller 17" x 17")
- Use in pooch pads holder too
- Soft and comfortable
When it comes to dog training, you can’t afford to be lazy about it. Nowadays, there are plenty of choices when it comes to pet training pads but I’d stick to the GOBUDDY Super Absorbent Pet Training Puppy Pads.
Since, they’re super absorbent and washable. And it’s not just that. They’re also odor control, eco-friendly and hypoallergenic. They’re just what your precious pup needs.
These pads are also available in two sizes, 22 x 22 inches and 17 x 17 inches. So, you can choose the one that suits your pup the best.
12. rocket & rex Washable Dog Pee Pads. Dog Training Pads
- Ultra Absorbent
- Removes Dog Smell
- Can Be Easily Cleansed
- Lasts A Long Time
- Lifespan Of 1-2 Years
- High Quality Materials
Extra Large, 2 Size Options
The rocket & rex Washable Dog Pee Pads are super absorbent. The pee pads are the perfect solution in any situation… they help during your pet’s transition time from a crate to a bed in a dog kennel, if your pet is a puppy and so far hasn’t mastered the idea of going potty outside yet, but these pads are also great for dogs that have problems with incontinence, these pads will be of great use to you.
Rocket & rex Pee Liner Training Pads for Dogs have absorbent technology in the pads and can be snapped to a 7-inch pad holder. These pads are waterproof, this will allow for your pet’s pee to soak through the pee pad and into the absorbent core.
13. Petphabet Puppy Dog Training Potty Pee Piddle Pads Ultra-Absorbent Pet Pee Pee Pads
- Extremely absorbent
- No smells left behind
- Won’t tear apart
- Easy to clean
- Superior odor control
My top pick is Petphabet Pee Pee Pee Pads. What makes these pads unique is that they are created with advanced nano-carbon technology. This technology allows the pads to absorb more liquid in than any other similar type of product. It works unbelievably well when it comes to saving your floors from water damage, and keeping odors at bay.
It’s when it comes to my favorite aspect of these pads – odor control. You would expect that the urine pads that are advertised to be odor-free would be more expensive, but it’s not like that. Petphabet pee pads comes with the same wonderful odor-free quality and doesn’t leave behind any bad-smelling odors.
14. AmazonBasics Dog and Puppy Potty Training Pads
- Manufactured by Amazon
- Amazon Prime eligible
- Soft surface that feels like the ground
- Extra thick with double leak guards
- Watch for leaks
- Cheap feel
Amazon is the leader in online retail and as such, has had the opportunity to learn a thing or two about how to properly address human needs – and the needs of our dogs. My top pick for the best puppy pads is the AmazonBasics Pet Training Pads. Amazon is an excellent company that has put a lot of time into researching how to provide a comfortable, effective, and easy-to-use training pad.
Another thing I like about Amazon is that they ship free with Amazon Prime, helping to make cost even less of an issue. Something else that is nice is that Amazon sells in bulk; you can get two-pack with 48 pads, which saves you money. Since you don’t always need to use that many pads at once, I’d recommend buying the 50-pack, which will last you well over a month.
15. Washable Pee Pads
- Comes with a waterproof layer
- Four layers made from 100% polypropylene
- Best selling Pee Pads on Amazon
- All-around good reviews
- A bit pricy
- Not very much cushioning to protect from leaks
- Some pet parents claim the pads get absorbed too fast and tend to drip
- You cannot wash and reuse them
If you want to protect your home from your dog’s messes, the Washable Pee Pads for Dogs is an excellent choice. These pads are made from two layers of polypropylene that can absorb 12 times their own weight. It was tested with over 1000 mastiff and lab puppies!
It is also convenient for the pet owner as it is a washable and reusable product. That means you do not have to throw it away each time. It will save you a lot of money.
The waterproof backing will keep your floor dry. The pads are easy to install under the bed, crate or pee guard.
16. Hartz Home Protection Unscented Odor Eliminating Gel Dog Pads
- Unscented and durable
- 100% leak-proof
- Can be washed and reused multiple times
- Absorbent gel for odor prevention
- Doesn’t come with a waterproof cover
- Cheap surface material
- A lot of customers complain that the sides of the pad bunch up during use
Hartz Odor Eliminating Gel Dog Pads are an economical option for pet parents who want to minimize the hassle of training pets to use the toilet.
These pads come pre-treated with an odor eliminating gel, and are crafted from resin that can be washed multiple times for easy reuse – something I liked about them.
What’s great about the Hartz pads is that they can be used inside pet enclosures, indoors for pet training, for special potty-training needs, and for adult dogs as well as puppies. Plus, thanks to the gel that’s infused into the pads, you can be sure that nasty accidents are going to be a thing of the past.
17. Simple Solution Large Washable Puppy Pad
- 10% Discount Code for Loyal Customers
When it comes to dog pads what you’re looking for is something that you can reuse, clean, and helps with potty training.
This is exactly what the Simple Solution Large Washable Puppy Pad is, as it is made of a soft fleece material that helps to absorb 15 times its weight in liquid. It is also made with odor neutralizers to prevent smells from spreading to your floors as well as your floors staying stain free.
These dog diapers are easy to clean and can be dried in machines as well, and they can be laid out on floors to help training puppies, or older dogs.
18. Simple Solution Training Puppy Pads
- Use multiple colors to designate different purposes for specific pads. For example, you use green for outdoor potty and for bedtime, yellow for indoor potty, and white for designated outside potty when you’re traveling or out for extended periods of time.
- Anti-microbial: Prevents the growth of odor causing microbes, mold, and mildew.
- Plastic backing: No more shredding or peeling. The plastic backing allows you to clean the pad(s) easily.
- Absorbent: Absorbs 6 cups of liquid or 2 pounds of urine and can be reused time after time.
- Size: At 23×24 inches, you can easily cover an entire dog bed with one pad so there won’t be any leak through and you don’t have to deal with any staining.
- Reusable/Disposable: You can use them again and again or dispose of them in the trash or wait for them to completely dry out and reuse them as needed.
- Safe for your dog: These pads are designed to be soft and comfortable. They’re 100% biodegradable and enzyme-treated so they’re safe for your dog.
19. Arm & Hammer Pet Training and Puppy Pads 22.5-inch by 22.5-inch
- Affordable pricing
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Easily secures with tape or dispenser
- Contains baking soda to neutralize pet odors
- Highly recommended by consumers
- Not 100% leak proof
- Does not work well in cold weather
If you’ve just brought home a new furry friend that’s between 6-12 months old and still learning when and where it’s appropriate to go to the bathroom, the Arm & Hammer training pads might be for you.
Puppies aren’t equipped with the logic to keep track of where they need to use the bathroom until they’re about 3 months old. That means you’re going to need to provide them with basic training.
20. Artificial Grass Bathroom Mat
- Provides a bathroom an extra layer of protection against accidents
- Very easy to clean: just wipe off the surface with a clean cloth and your done
- Can withstand the weight of a small dog if put in place properly
- Easy to wipe off urine and feces with a wet or dry cloth
- The grass provides a suitable place for your pet to relieve themselves, which reduces indoor accidents
- Rubber material reduces the noise of dogs stepping on the mat
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Grass mat can be difficult to clean if contaminated
- Skid-proof backing could be more adhesive
- Grass mat is prone to ripping if your pet has sharp nails
The Pet Grass Mat is an excellent product even though it’s not an ideal substitute for grass. If it is properly placed, you should be able to easily train your pup to use the grass mat as a bathroom. It is not something that you will have to worry about filling up with animal waste.
The Pet Grass Mat is extremely easy to clean. It has a skid-proof backing that will prevent it from sliding all over the space. It is also easy to fold up the mat when you’re done using it and store it away.
21. Dog Grass Pee Pad Potty
- Go Green
- Unique Grass-like Design
- Completely Washable/Reusable
- Perfect For Puppies
- A Few Minor Complaints
- Not A Great Alternative For Dogs That Don’t Pee Indoors
If you want to take it a step further, this synthetic turf-looking dog pee pad is an excellent choice. Apparently, the grass-like texture is a real deal-clincher for dogs, making them feel like they are going out into the real world.
Being completely washable and reusable, this product will save you a bunch of cash in the long run. Since it’s synthetic grass, there are no decaying issues like with other dog pe pads that use the same old paper floor mats. There also are no chemicals, so your dog’s urine is completely safe.
As for the complaints, there are a couple random complaints I found here and there, but they were few and far between in regards to a specific issue. However, I will say that sometimes the packaging may leave some vapor inside of the product package, which can cause mildew to form. Just giving you fair warning now.
22. Downtown Pet Supply Dog Pee Potty Pad
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Available in many sizes
- Good Return Policy
For the record, this entire review has been written on toilet paper. I love TP and it makes me sad knowing that one day, I’ll have to say goodbye. The Downtown Pet Supply Potty Pad is a godsend for dog owners like me who don’t want to say goodbye to their roll of toilet paper.
I first chose the largest size just to try it out. This pad is absolutely HUGE. Its dimensions are 25 inches by 30 inches, which is actually big enough for both of my dogs to use at the same time. And it comes with a small plastic stand so it’s easy to take out and fold back up to store if you want.
This pad features two layers. The first layer is PE vinyl laminated to a super-absorbent polyester fabric. The second layer is a micro-porous waterproof top layer. The two layers are sewn together with a stitched edge to prevent liquids from seeping into the pad. The material might seem thin, but rest assured, it’s quite durable and surprisingly waterproof.
23. Washable Pee Pads
- Extra absorbent
- Can be washed and reused
- Very absorbent
- Perfect size
- Sticks to floor & doesn’t shift
- Dogs like it
- A favorite of many pet owners
We all know that training a dog is quite a challenge. Especially when it comes to potty training. Many pet owners opt for puppy pads for dogs, a great option to help training, especially for puppies.
This product is an interesting choice, as it can be washed and reused. That’s a huge plus, especially since it’s very absorbent and the dogs tend to like it.
It can be cut to fit smaller sized crates and is large enough to fit almost any crate. The urine doesn’t leach through, which means it doesn’t get into the padding below.
24. Fresh Patch Disposable Dog Potty
- Excellent odor control
- Safe for pets and children
- Needs to be flushed after use
- You have to replace quite often
- Some people find it too big for their dogs.
The Fresh Patch Disposable Dog Potty with Real Grass Patches is one of the best products out on the market right now for potty training your puppies. Fresh Patch is one of the most advanced and popular ways to train your puppies. The grass holds on to urine and feces and is fragrant, making it easy for your puppy to recognize when it’s time to use the potty.
The great thing about this product is that it’s so simple yet so effective. The patch itself comes in a bag which you can place anywhere in your yard. Once you’ve shown your puppy that this product is a potty, you can use it anywhere, be it your yard, drive way or on a walk.
25. Top Dog
- Budget Friendly
- Good for long-haired dogs
- High quality material
- Large in size
- Easy to clean
- Comes with disposable plastic cover
- Very affordable
- May take longer to absorb liquids
- Not available at most local pet stores
- Not really suitable for puppies as it may take less time to absorb liquids
- Can be heavy
If you’re looking for a budget friendly dog training pad that will outlast most of its competitors I’d highly recommend the Top Dog Black Carbon Puppy Pad. I personally use this pad, it doesn’t take long to absorb liquids and it’s lasts for a good few days before needing to be changed.
The Top Dog Black Carbon Puppy Pad come in a strong and durable nylon material, the cloth the pad is made out of is black in color which works great for people with feces-phobic pets, as the black carbon pad allows liquids to show more clearly making it easier to see when the pad needs to be changed.
The Top Dog Black Carbon Puppy Pad is great for use with long-haired dogs too, as the black carbon pad is highly absorbent and well-suited for long hair dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which puppy pads are the best?
While there is no single best product for the whole puppy pad market, there are some that are clearly better than others. Below, you’ll find the best puppy pads on the market in our opinion, along with all the details you’ll need to find the ideal option for you.
Are puppy pads any good?
It seems like an obvious question, but it’s essential to know if you are thinking about using pads for training or if you have started training and need an extra backup option. Here are a few reasons puppy pads can be a useful tool when house breaking your dog.
Are there chemicals in puppy pads?
Our recommendation for best puppy pads contains no toxic chemicals, such as Bamboo’s pee pads which don’t contain chemicals, but create you can get best quality dog pads for urine that will help you avoid any smelly situations. Some other brands will contain chemicals that may not be good for your home.
Your puppy pad might be just paper but the urine can have chemicals and toxic proteins left over from your dog's urine. Scientists say that all dog pee contains proteins. No one has yet to identify if these proteins are harmful to humans.
Furthermore, the pee pad market consists of numerous companies that don’t follow the rules of a sustainable and eco-friendly the same time. Those companies don’t put much thought into what they are selling for these pads.
Is the gel in puppy pads toxic?
We were alarmed to learn of studies showing that the gel in puppy pads are indeed toxic to pets. We believe the majority of pet parents wouldn’t hurt their pet on purpose.
It’s probably hard to believe that the gel in a puppy pad could actually be harmful to your dog. Perhaps you’ve had that thought when disposing of an accident, or maybe you’ve even assumed that the toxic smell makes them safe.
The gel found in puppy pads contains Dichlorobenzilate (2,3,7,8-TCDD) or 2,4,5,2–T. This is a chemical once used in pesticide. Even though 2,3,7,8-TCDD is no longer used in pesticides, it is still a common ingredient found in dog repellents, laundry detergents, and disinfectants.
There are many methods you can use to train your puppy or dog. With a large variety of pet training pads available that use different methods, you may wonder which one is the best. Depending on how frustrated and angry you want to be during your training process, each option is better in its own way.
This article presents you with alternatives, which will help you choose the best puppy pads from a vast market. It also gives you an idea about the most popular brands and how to use them, so that you can train your puppy easily.
|Four Paws Wee-Wee Puppy Training X-Large Size 28" x 34" Pee Pads||Best Overall|
|Pet Parents Pawtect Pads Washable Dog Pee Pads||Budget Pick|
|Downtown Pet Supply Dog Pee Potty Pad||Upgrade Pick|