Want to know how to clean pet stains from the carpet? You’re not alone. Many people use carpet cleaners, but not everybody knows if an ordinary carpet cleaner can really clean pet stains.
When you’ve got pets in the home you know the fun messes they can leave behind, from shedding hair and getting the occasional muddy paw print in the house to muddy paws and the occasional accident.
Sure, they’re our best friends, but that doesn’t mean they should get away clean with those accidents. Thankfully, the power of steam is on our side with pet carpet cleaners. Steam is a great way to clean up pet stains because it can get deep into the carpet to sanitize and clean.
Steam is also gentler than vinegar and ammonia (another popular option) and doesn’t leave an overly strong scent.
Whether you’re looking to clean pet stains and odors from inside the home or out in the yard, the following steam cleaners took the top spots for pet stain fighting prowess.
|Woolite INSTAclean Permanent Pet Stain Remover||Best Overall|
|Woolite InstaClean Pet||Budget Pick|
|SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner||Upgrade Pick|
1. Woolite INSTAclean Permanent Pet Stain Remover
- Fast and effective
- Eliminates unsightly odors and stains
- Safe for pets and humans
The Woolite INSTAclean Pet Stain Remover is as its name suggests “ instant. It will get rid of cat, dog, and rodent urine and feces stains in a matter of seconds.
A one-on-one test showed that Woolite INSTAclean removed the stains in less than 20 seconds after I applied it, which is really quick. It also left a lingering fresh smell that I just loved. There are dozens of reviews that show how quickly this product works.
In addition, it’s designed to work on permanent (and semi-permanent) pet stains such as cat urine, dog urine, feces stains, and vomit stains, leaving your carpet smelling fresh.
2. Bissell Professional Pet Urine Eliminator + Oxy Carpet Cleaning Formula
- Available in two sizes
- Perfect for pet urine
- Safe and easy to use, even if you have pets
- Works on other stains like grease, soda, and food fat
- Works well on carpets and upholstery
- Good availability on Amazon
- Has a trusted brand
- Great customer service from Bissell
- Comes with patented stain-treating enzymes
- The price is reasonable for the quality of the product
- Can only be used on synthetic carpets and not hardwoods or rugs
- Can be tricky to spray at first due to the pump being stiff
- The stain on the carpet comes back after a week or two
3. Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover
- Reasonably priced
- Ready to use formula
- No harsh chemicals
- Quick and convenient solution
- Becomes ineffective as the liquid evaporates
- Allergens can become airborne.
This does exactly what it claims and you can throw away that toxic bottle of Spot Shot and a few paper towels. It doesn’t contain bleach or harsh chemicals but it still gets rid of the stains. If you have the carpet cleaner than just let it clean the sour spot. If not than just wet parts with water. It will run a little bit but try to not rub hard. It will come off. It works with dog urine, vomit, and acidic foods, blood, wine, ink, tea, coffee, red wine, nicotine and more. Wash as soon as possible.
4. Spot Shot WD-40 Prof Instant Carpet Stain Remover
- Easy to use
- Chemically enhanced
- Truly removes stains
The Spot Shot WD-40 is a well-designed two-in-one carpet cleaner. This cleaner is useful for both types of stains – those which can be cleaned chemically as well as those made by hard-to-remove dirt or grease.
It is specifically designed to eliminate the problem of spots on your carpet. Whether they are grease, wine, ketchup, or mud, this unique cleaner will bring them up.
It acts as a detergent as well as a solvent, removing stains on contact. By using a combination of detergent and solvent, the Spot Shot WD-40 effortlessly removes stains without the need to rub the affected area.
5. ANGRY ORANGE Ready-to-Use Citrus Pet Odor Eliminator Pet Spray
- 100% Guaranteed or Money Back
- Available in variety of sizes
- Provides a 5-star customer rating
- Address pet stains and odors
- Perfect for carpets, upholstery, dog beds, cat beds, cloth furniture, carpeted staircases, and even old pet odors that have set in place
- Easy and safe to use
- You can spray on and treat any fabric to get rid of any unwanted pet odor – carpet, pet bed, furniture, pet clothing, etc.
- It has a never-fade, non-staining color that freshens up and brightens your home – carpet and furniture
- You can safely use this in your home even if your pets are a part of it – the promise is specific to pet stains
- You can treat your carpet, clothing, or furniture up to 3-5 times a day until the smell is completely gone
6. Hoover PETPLUS Concentrated Formula
- Great overall value
- Effectively removes pet stains and odors
- Safe to use all over the home
- This product is an Amazon bestseller, with over 3,500 customer reviews
- Bestseller in its category on Amazon
- May not contain benzene or formaldehyde
- Some reviewers claimed it did not work
- Some reviewers claimed that it’s not necessary to use water
Hoover’s pet formula works like a charm on all types of pet-related stains and odors from your carpets, concrete, hardwood, and stone floors. It works by being activated by converting oxygen into natural enzymes that eliminates even the toughest stains and lingering odors.
It also removes pet stains as if they never happened. The Hoover pet formula will also remove set in grime and bacteria where you may never know it had been.
If you have a pet, this is a must-have cleaning product. Since it’s so safe, it’s not a problem using it all over the home.
7. Hoover Expert Pet Carpet Cleaner Solution Formula
- Easy to use for most pet stains
- Cleans well without damaging the carpet
- Nice and strong so it can remove stains
- Multiple bottle attachments to use for the appropriate cleaning
- I've purchased this 3 times now for cleaning carpets in my new and old home.
- The tires are a bit small, so it can be hard to move around in some cases
- The power button can be unreliable
- I purchased this to clean my carpet that my new pet had destroyed. It did a pretty good job. I haven't found a stain it didn't take care of, just keep going over it and the water and soap will work. One of the simplest, most effective carpet cleaners I have ever used.
- I is easy to use and versatile enough to allow me to clean my carpet regularly. The carpet cleaner uses three settings that allows me to pick the cleaning water level I need and it is easy to mix with the cleaning formula. It cleans a variety of surfaces and the pet formula works on urine and vomit stains.
- I used this to clean my stairs where my children had spilled food. It worked very well on light carpet.
(32 fl oz)
8. Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
- Affordable Price
- Easy To Use
- Great For Deep Cleaning
- Slight Build-Up Of Dirt After Regular Use
- Some People Might Have To Experience A Few Spot Cleanings Before Washing
There are very few reviews for the Bissell portable carpet cleaner that mention this model is great for removing stains and spots!
It is a 1400W machine and is one of the most powerful machines you can buy. It packs a six-step system of cleaning for different situations. It removes 99.9% of all allergens and is safe and kind to your pets.
It’s important to mention there are 3 heads included in the package: wide trak, spot clean and upholstery. This thing is a real beast and will handle any stain without a problem.
9. TriNova Natural Pet Stain and Odor Remover Eliminator
- A huge number of people gave positive feedbacks for this product
- Most effective for pet urine and vomit
- Some users don’t understand how to use it.
- This pet carpet cleaner is not what your pet needs.
So you don’t need to remove coats or other materials to clean the surface. But obviously, you can use it for any surface.
This pet carpet cleaner is not a magic item, which can help you remove all stains and smells.
But it does remove most of them, and it can also remove some other substances, like urine, vomit, feces, blood, etc.
10. Carpet Miracle
- Effective on pet stains
- Smells great
- Economical cleaning solution for carpets and upholstery
- The solution can expire quickly
- Not an ideal substance for absorbing pet urine
The best solution to help you deal with pet stains and odors on carpets and upholstery is the Carpet Miracle Pet Multi-Purpose Cleaner Stain Remover and Odor Eliminator.
You can use this solution to clean any type of surface when you’re traveling with your pet, as it can remove pet stains, vomit, urine, and feces from your belongings without leaving behind any foul odors.
This highly concentrated natural-based carpet and upholstery cleaning solution will eliminate any odors in a safe and pet-friendly manner, without using any harsh chemicals that could be toxic to your four-legged friend.
11. Bissell 74R7 Pet Stain & Odor Portable Machine Formula
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Powerful rotating and scrubbing brushes
- Cost efficient
The Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Portable Machine Formula, 32-Ounce, Fl Oz is an excellent machine for cleaning pet messes. It has a heavy duty motor and two brushes that rotate and scrub at the same time, a great feature that does all the cleaning work.
This unit has a carry handle, which makes it easily portable. You can take it to the next room or around your home to help you clean messes. When it comes to cleaning, this Bissell machine works differently than a vacuum does, it uses the vacuum to suck up the wet mess that the brushes leave behind. With this machine, you do not have to worry about damaging your wooden floors.
During the cleaning process, the motor of the Bissell pet stain & odor portable machine formula collects the wet mess in a dirt bowl, which is attached to the bottom of the unit. A simple push and release button lets you empty the dirt bowl. This process is very easy.
12. Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator
- A storage box for easy storage and travel
- All natural formula
- Conditioner can be too runny
- Can be difficult to clean off pet hair
Rocco and Roxie Supply professional strength stain and odor eliminator is the perfect product for getting rid of the dogs’ and cats’ messes. It targets urine formulas which are most difficult to get out. It removes stains and odor from all kinds of carpets, fabrics and hard surfaces.
The carpet cleaner comes stored in a portable kit with a clear container for easy measuring. The bottle then screws on with a tight seal. The carpet cleaner is then ready for spraying. The cleaning power of the product does not evaporate and will remain strong and powerful for 60 days. The bottle should not be opened until it reaches the surface to be cleaned.
13. Bissell Stomp 'N Go Pet Lifting Pads + Oxy
- Biggie, but better
- Breaks up pet messes (urine, feces, vomit, etc)
- Don't Let The Smell Fill Your Home
- Has helped me remove stains that other stains cleaners from the pet store or grocery store could not
- Very wasteful, as the pad does not dry. By the time you get to the last one, you already have to buy new ones.
- Stains are reappearing after some time.This may be because a pad does not get dry and bacteria keeps growing.
- The scrub pads can degrade pretty quickly if you have a really tough, old stain (6 months or more).
- I do like the convenience of the pads but the real plus is the cleaner, not the pad. I wonder if I could wash and dry the pads to get a few uses out of them?
This is Bissell's best-selling pet hair grooming system that is designed to capture dander, hair and dirt. On the box of this item there is a picture of a yellow labrador on it, this is their understated way of appealing to dog owners.
The Stomp 'n Go Pet Carpet Cleaning Pads is a disposable paper-like carpet-cleaning-pad that is designed to remove pet stains and odors, according to the manufacturer.
14. Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover
- Effective on many surfaces
- Does not leave behind a residue
- Enzyme on pet stains are bound to proteins and enzymes
- Contains natural enzymes that dig deep to remove stains and eliminate odors
- Free from bleach and harsh chemicals
- Low-odor formula is safe for pets and kids
- Material-safe and easy to remove from porous surfaces
- Money back guaranteed
- Extra strength enzymatic cleaner for professional results
- Scented; not for dogs who are sensitive
- Requires patience. The enzymatic process is not instantaneous
- Not for the faint of heart
- Would be helpful if the bottle comes with a measuring cap
- It does take some multiple applications to get the best results
The Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover is a pet carpet cleaner that is designed to work on pet stains. This semi-gel enzymatic cleaner is designed to handle pet urine stains by using a natural enzyme for removing pet urine stains and eliminates odors.
To do this, the product uses a formulation that dissolves both organic and non-organic stains, including urine, dyes, food, blood and feces.
15. Carbona 2 in 1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain
- Effectively cleans stains and odors
- Easy to use
- Does not linger
- Good to have on your car at all times
- Gives you a bit of peace of mind
- A little messy
- Has to be shipped to you
- Feels like sandpaper on the carpet
The Carbona 2 in 1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain and Odor remover is already one of the best-rated pet carpet cleansers and it’s rated 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. However, it’s definitely one of the best you can buy on the market and has thousands of reviews from pleased customers.
Carbona is a non-toxic, odor-removing carpet spray that’s perfect for pet odors. The specially-formulated odor-busting formula is strong enough to eliminate the odors that most other carpet cleaners can’t … without using a harmful chemical.
The 2 in 1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain, Pack of 2 is also eco-friendly and is safe for use on virtually any surface, safe for children, pets, and the environment.
16. Hoover FH50700 PowerDash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner
- Ideal for hard floors and upholstery;
- Easy to maneuver and lightweight
A space-efficient and lightweight option for small residences, it delivers a strong performance on both carpets and hard floor, thanks to its two rotating brushes.
You also don’t have to worry about a bulky hose since this machine has a 16-inch crevice tool/hose that rotates into the handle. You can use the crevice tool and hose to clean upholstery, corners, crevices and other tight areas of your home that larger machines can’t reach.
All in all, the Hoover PowerDash is a very versatile, compact and convenient cleaning machine that can do a great job on any hard floor as well as upholstery like cars, stairs, and sofas. No matter if you want to clean just one room or the rest of your house, it accommodates to your cleaning needs.
17. Pet Stain & Odor Miracle
- Safe for your pet's skin
- Easy to use, just spray and wipe
- Removes tough stains and pet odors
- Environmentally safe
- Can be used on carpets, walls, floors, furniture, bedding, and clothing
- Might not remove stains that have been set for a long time
- Does not prevent other animals from marking in the same spot
Pet Stain & Odor Miracle was the number 1 preferred carpet stain remover brand by pet owners in vanquis consumer survey 2017. It has received an excellent rating with 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
The company has done a great job packing everything you need to clean your home inside one box. The box contains 170ml Pet Stain & Odor Miracle carpet cleaner, 4 Color Bandit Stain Mark Remover pads, Stain-Free Carpet Powder, Pet Claw Towels, Concentrated Stain Remover, Stain & Odor Grabber pads, Stain Brush, Smelly Washer, and Pre-Spray Foam.
The Pet Stain & Odor Miracle carpet cleaner is specially formulated using a bio-enzymatic formula that will dissolve the staining properties of pet urine. It will remove all the old stains & odors and restore your carpet to its original condition.
18. BISSELL SpotClean Pet Pro Portable Carpet Cleaner
- Keeps your dog from tracking urine odor into the house
- Hardcore stain-cleaning system that beats out other budget carpet cleaners
- Portable and lightweight
- Extremely easy to use
- Fantastic warranty
- Sprayer that is prone to leak, causing some users to purchase a different sprayer
- Difficult to clean the unit and hose
Designed specifically for pet owners, the Bissell SpotClean Pet Pro is a powerful but modestly priced carpet cleaner.
The SpotClean Pet Pro can easily and quickly remove dirt and stains from dog, cat, and pet accidents on your carpet. This unit is different from other Bissell carpet cleaners because the SpotClean Pet Pro is specially made for dogs, with a Durashield interior to prevent stains from penetrating and resisting odors from spreading, as well as a Paragon stain-trapping design to prevent urine from seeping into the carpet fibers.
It also comes equipped with a 24-inch hose to reach deeper stains and a suction power that is made for pet messes. This unit comes with 15-inch cleaning width- a bit wider than other units, so for the 17-inch width of your typical vacuum cleaner head, we recommend that you buy the Bissell SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner -17N4.
19. Woolite InstaClean Pet
- Does a thorough cleaning job
- Leaves no residue behind
My top pick is the Woolite InstaClean Pet Carpet Cleaner for obvious reasons. Your car is your pride and joy, and it’s built at least partly with carpet. So, what better way to keep your vehicle clean and looking new for longer than to clean the carpet?
Given that dogs can still be in the car with this cover, the cleaner doesn’t just eliminate pet foul odor but also leaves your car smelling fresh and smells like no animals were ever even there. The most I’ve needed to use of the spray was once on the most messed up area, so doubling the number of applications isn’t unreasonable.
Something that really surprised and delighted me was the fact that the cleaner not only cleans the carpet but the floor lining, too! My car is a manual, so I need to keep the clutch clean to prevent slippage, so having a spray that not only cleans the carpet but also the floor lining is an amazing bonus!
20. SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner
- 3-in-1 formula
- Automatic scrubbing action
- Cleans carpets as well as hard floors
- No batteries required
- Heptane-free formula
The SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner with Deep Reach Technology 33N8A is a great vacuum for pets thanks to it’s three-in-one formula that cleans carpets as well as hard floors and no batteries required! It is SpotBot’s most advanced and advanced deep cleaner to have the best cleaning ever for floors and carpets!
The Spotbot Pet has a heptane-free formula that is safe for both you and your pets!
Carpet and hard surfaces that are familiar to you and your pets become even more familiar thanks to the OdorKlenz Pet solution.
21. Bissell Pro Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet
- The removable brush tool can be used for extra deep-cleaning and to remove pet hair
- The system comes with a special formula that works effectively on pet stain and odor removal
- Automatic release valve allows for quick and easy filling and emptying of the tank
- The assembly is complex and requires a lot of effort to install.
- The product is heavy, so some have trouble lugging it around and using it.
Bissell Pro Oxy Stain Destroyer with Brush Head is a machine that can help you look forward to cleaning. It has two wash cycles: the powerwash and the deep clean. The 4-quart tank is ideal for cleaning a large area. The machine can be used on both carpet and upholstery. It has a tank filter that keeps debris from clogging the spray head. It has a scrubbing brush that is able to tackle stains and remove pet hair. The spray nozzle adjusts to overspray, so there is no need for any other vacuum cleaners.
Bissell Pro Oxy Stain Destroyer with Brush Head cleans deeply into the carpet. It is highly recommended for multi-cat households. The Deep Cleaning mode is perfect for heavily soiled areas.
22. Hoover FH50150 Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner Machine
- Great customer service
- 10 year warranty
- Hoover is a trusted brand
- Lots of features
- Takes time to put together
- Some people thought it leaked
The Hoover FH50150 is one of the most popular carpet cleaners in 2019 due to its versatility, functionality, and high levels of customer satisfaction. It has a powerful 12A motor, which provides 1750 rpm of water extraction power. This powerful motor also means that you can clean through all that sticky stuff without stopping to change cleaners.
The FH50150 portable carpet cleaner comes in an attractive red color. It has a 20 ounce detergent tank that lifts out when you want to add detergent, then pushes back in when you ve finished. The control panel is water resistant (unless you drop it in the sink) and has a convenient on-and-off slider switch that helps prevent accidental activation.
This carpet shampoo machine has a quick connect detachable hose that attaches to either a 1- or 2-quart Hoover solution bottle so you can choose the size you need for the job at hand. It also includes three steel front wheels and two rear wheels to allow you to easily maneuver the Hoover carpet cleaner in your home. It even has a low profile front wheel that allows you to clean under furniture.
23. BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet Upright Carpet Cleaner Machine and Carpet Shampooer
- It comes with a carpet shampooer
- It’s a powerful and quality machine
- It’s friendly to your wallet
- It comes with a long hose and a wide-mouth, detergent tank
- It works great on my carpet
- It is heavy
- The assembly is a little frustrating
The machine rinses and vacuums at the same time. So you won’t have to lift a heavy wet carpet cleaning machine on a step. The pull-out hose is 35 ft long so you can clean the areas that you can’t reach.
The cleaning path is 12 inches, and it will clean easily wherever you push it.
You will be able to use your carpets soon after as it doesn’t leave any residue on your carpets.
24. Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover Trigger Spray
- Odor elimination capacity
- Doesn’t use harmful chemicals or fragrances
- Works on pet stains
- Doesn’t work on certain staining materials
- Doesn’t work on large or old stains
Nature’s Miracle has been the go-to brand in pet stain removal products like their Stain & Odor remover Trigger which got 4.5 out of 5 stars from more than 2,520 PetMountain customers and is rated as ‘Highly Recommended’ by Pet Mountain. We have also used it in our own households on tough kitchen and bathroom stains.
The Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor remover Trigger removes more than just dog and cat urine. It can be used on all the marks, and spills pets may leave behind. It even works on feces, vomit, blood, grease, oils, food, wine, baby formula and more.
It does not use harmful chemicals or fragrances, which can be associated with allergies and lung damage in pets. Instead, this product relies on enzymes, including bacillus subtilis and bacillus proteolyticus, to break down stains and odor-causing soils.
25. Nature's Miracle
- Spray and walk away
- Natural enzymes eliminate odors and stains for good
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Maybe not for every stain
- Cleaning process is long
- The bad smell of the product might be hard to take
If you have a dog in your house you know it’s a product you have to keep stocked as our furry friends are the biggest cause of carpet stains.
Carpets are one of the most costly pieces of furniture you need to replace.
If you have a dog, you unconditionally know the struggle of removing bad odor and stains from your carpet. Carpet stains are a pain to remove as they can get into fibers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best pet carpet shampooer?
Carpet shampooers only clean carpets, whereas carpet cleaners also clean furniture, upholstery, and even hard floors. Using these two terms interchangeably is a big mistake.
A carpet shampooer is a self-propelled cleaning tool designed to tackle modestly dirty carpeting. Some can deal with deep stains, but they are not designed for removing them. For heavy duty cleaning, you’ll need a carpet cleaner.
Carpet shampooers are also mainly designed to be used in small spaces because they generally feature a smaller cleaning path and tank than carpet cleaners. If you have a small cleaning area, then a carpet shampooer is likely to be the ideal type of tool to suit your needs. But if you expect to clean larger spaces or handle more extensive cleaning projects, then a carpet cleaner is the way to go.
Which is the best carpet cleaning machine?
There are a lot of carpet cleaners available in the market, from steam cleaners to regular hoovers, there are various brands…. But there’s one machine, that features a lot of features, has the best suction and cleaning power, and which is hard to clean: Pet hair.
What do we mean by that? Well, one of the best features if this machine is that it doesn’t need you to pre-treat the stains in order for the cleaning to go smoother. This feature, called Smart Carpet Technology gives you the opportunity to clean a large area in the quickest time possible. You just simply click on the cleaning mode that you wish, and you are ready to go. Let’s check the features of this cleaner!
Are Carpet Cleaners Worth It?
Even though carpet cleaners are expensive they are definitely among the best purchases that you can make because they are not a one-time-deal. Proper carpet cleaning can prolong the life of a carpet and even repair areas affected by small accidents.
Carpet cleaners can also make a carpet look like new. After a deep and good cleaning, you can easily freshen up your carpet without spending lots of money.
The best carpet cleaner is also a great tool for removing pet odors. This means that in the long run you might be able to save yourself from buying new carpet because deep cleaning could remove any odor or damage that has already occurred.
Still, there are some pet carpet cleaners that are better than others. After hours of research, testing, and evaluation, we’ve decided that the best among pet carpet cleaners is the following: Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Remover.
Bissell Pet Carpet Cleaner Gets Rid of Odor, Pet Stains, Pet Pee, Pet Accidents, Pet Odors. You can order it in either the 8 fl. Oz. or 16 fl. Oz. variant.
It is the top rated carpet cleaner from customers who have bought the product and left a review. Keep reading to learn more about the product, its design, how it works and why it is the best!
|Woolite INSTAclean Permanent Pet Stain Remover||Best Overall|
|Woolite InstaClean Pet||Budget Pick|
|SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner||Upgrade Pick|