Choosing which dog food is right for you and your pup can be confusing. There are many different options, ranging from commercial to natural. What’s more is that most companies have tricks to deceive you. For instance, products that are called organic may only include a token amount of organic ingredients.
With so many choices, how is a dog parent supposed to know what is the best organic dog food for their pup?
That’s why we have made a list of our five favorite all-natural dog foods.
In this dog food buyer’s guide we will cover the most important things to consider when choosing an edible dog food.
Plus we will list the top five best organic dog foods for 2019, which includes a video review of each.
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein||Best Overall|
|Instinct Be Natural Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food Formerly Prairie by Nature's Variety||Budget Pick|
|Newman'S Own Chicken & Liver Dinner||Upgrade Pick|
1. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein
- Made in the USA with USA sourced ingredients
- No by-products as fillers
- Whole grains for nutrition
- High quality nutrition for active adult dogs
- High protein content
- Moisture locks in nutrients for fresher food
- Meat and vegetable recipe
- Natural antioxidants replace what is lost as dogs age
- Transition from wet to dry food
- Affordable price point
- No product for pets above 150 pounds
- Slight fishy smell
Small Breed Chicken.
If you want your dog to have a nutrient dense diet with quality protein and nutrients and you’re willing to spend a little more, the Wilderness High Protein by Blue Buffalo Wilderness is the way to go. Its brand of dog food has been around the block and is recommended by vets.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness uses real meat as the first ingredients with no artificial flavors or fillers. It packs a punch with protein from chicken meal and a decent amount of essential vitamins and minerals, mainly for vitamins B6 and C.
2. Purina Beyond Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- Chronic joint pain relief
- Promotes a shiny, healthy coat
- Strong Adult and Puppy bones
- Dogs are likely to develop an allergy to this product
- Some dogs become sick and vomit after consumption
The first dog food brand I always reach for is Purina Beyond Natural Super Foods Blend Dry Food for Adult Dogs and Puppies.
It’s an incredibly healthy organic dog food that can be given to both adults and puppies without any issue, providing both young and older dogs the energy they need to play for as long as they want.
Purina Beyond Natural dog food is made from fresh ingredients that are rich in fiber and protein, making it easy to digest and highly effective in providing a balance of nutrients in one tasty meal.
3. Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Dog Food
- High-quality ingredients
- Gives your dog a shiny Coat
- Reasonable price
- Hearty food meant for dogs with terminal illness or a compromised immune system
- Bland taste that may not be suitable for young pets
- No preserved ingredients
- Can be hard to find in stores
Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Food is a high-quality and well-balanced food made of natural ingredients for your pet and it will make their coat shinier. This food will promote your dog's health by giving them balanced nutrition for their different stages of development, so you can rest assured that your dog is getting all the nutrients it needs.
The food is available in 12 different flavors that are sure to appeal to your dog's tastes. It is available in different packaging options to fit your needs and preferences and it can also be ordered online.
There are around 1445 reviews on Amazon for this product, with an average of 4.7 out of 5 stars. Many of the reviewers have praised it for its high-quality ingredients and for the nutritional content appropriate for dogs with specific health conditions.
4. Castor & Pollux Organix Organic Small Breed Recipe
- No artificial ingredients
- Grain-free recipes
- Organic ingredients
- Grain-free formula has less protein & fat than competitors
Beneful has made quite a name for itself in the dry dog food industry. This well-known dog food was developed by Purina, the same team who brought us Fancy Feast and Snausages.
When all is said and done, this dog food does make for a good choice due to its availability. They've got every flavor you and your pet could hope for. And they're reasonably priced too.
We listed this particular dog food as an honorable mention because it is free of artificial chemicals, grains and binder. It is also free of meat byproducts, fillers, corn and wheat. This Beneful dog food is made up of 40 percent protein and 12 percent fat. It has also been pre-digested to make it easy to digest for your pet. It's free of scary ingredients. It's not a bad product by any means, but if you're looking for the best kind of dog food, this one is not for you.
5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Excellent price
- Some dogs have had upset stomachs
- Small kibble
Rice & Vegetable Recipe.
The best-selling dog food for 2017, Pet Naturals dry formula is made with premium ingredients that include a wholesome blend of organic vegetables and fruits, which deliver high-quality essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
Nutro doesn’t mess around with artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. It’s a grain-free formula that’s hypoallergenic and formulated with Omega fatty acids to help maintain a healthy and active lifestyle for your dog.
6. Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed Turkey
- 100% Organic & Natural
- Grain free formula with real meat
- Added probiotics
Purrfect Bites Lamb, Whitefish & Salmon.
The Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food is one of the best organic dog foods on the market.
For the 25% of dogs that suffer from allergies, this kibble is completely free from grains, corn, wheat, soy, and other fillers. It’s also non-toxic and made entirely of real chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, and whole eggs which makes it an ideal choice for dogs with food sensitivities.
7. Solid Gold
- Vets recommend Solid Gold
- No preservatives
- Brown rice, barley, and organ meats are the main ingredients
- A more expensive dog food
- Not made by Solid Gold
Solid Gold is the original dog food brand from the good old US of A and still goes strong thanks to their top-notch products and services.
Their Wee Bit formula with real bison as the main ingredient utilizes brown rice, barley, and organ meats and doesn’t have any added preservatives to it. It will give your dog the energy and help it remain healthy throughout its life – making it a good dog food to feed.
Solid Gold understands that providing a dog with quality nutrients and ingredients is very different from usual dog food and that’s why they “see all animals as preventative healthcare patients with specific nutritional needs. This affects how we farm, formulate, and cook every Solid Gold product.”
8. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
We chose Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food as the best organic dog food after taking into consideration their high protein content, multiple sources of protein, and affordability.
Each serving of this dog food packs 26.4% protein, which is slightly higher than the 25% industry standard. It contains four sources of protein, which are deboned chicken, deboned turkey, chicken meal, and turkey meal. All these sources are easily digestible and highly palatable.
In addition, the high protein content helps Blue Buffalo Dog Food stand out from the competition as it promotes lean muscle mass and other benefits.
9. Halo Natural Dry Dog Food
- Great For Dogs With Food-Related Allergies
- Good Value
- Excellent For Dog Digestion
- High Nutrition For Active Dogs
- Great For Growing Puppies
- Bag Design
- Cage-Free/Free-Range/Vegetarian Feeding
- Ingredient Sources
Nitrate-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Antibiotic-Free and Grain-Free formulations make these foods go as far as possible in maintaining the health of your dog without any unnecessary extra ingredients.
Dry Dog Foods are best for dogs with allergies, as they are less prone to developing allergies as opposed to the wet dog foods.
10. Diamond Naturals Dry Food
- High quality ingredients
- Easy to digest
- Flavorable and tasty for your loyal furry companion
- Only works for medium sized dogs
Your furry friend is craving some delicious grub so we decided to take an extensive look at some of the best organic dog foods you can find right now.
The Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs, Chicken and Rice Formula is an exceptional option made with a delectable blend of natural ingredients that your loyal companion will relish and enjoy.
This holistic formula is made to boost your pooch’s immune system and support key brain functions so he can focus on more important things.
11. Newman'S Own Adult Dog Food Formula
- Made with human-grade ingredients
- Good for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Can be a bit pricey, but it’s still cheaper than many other quality dog foods
- Might not be suitable for high-performance dogs
When it comes to food for your dog, you want to make sure that what you’re feeding them is as healthy and nutritious as it could possibly be. Unfortunately, not all dog foods are even close to this standard. Many dog foods contain meat byproducts, fillers, salt, and chemicals to keep them looking “fresh.”
Newman’s Own adult dog food formula is different than many other dog foods available on the market. The first and most obvious difference is that it’s organic. The company that produces Newman’s Own also produces organic pizza sauces, vinegars, dressings, and more.
12. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Grain Free Small & Mini Breed Adult
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- The food is delicious, you will have to set up a time for your dog to go outside
- 70% of the ingredients are sourced from the U.S. and delivered in an airtight bag to ensure quality
- It doesn’t seem to like cheese, so avoid it if your dog is allergic.
This food is amazing! I know when I post a review on dog food, a lot of people will say that fresh food is the best, and I absolutely agree. However, I know some people don’t have the time to make fresh food, or even the money to afford it.
This dog food gives you the best of both worlds; fresh ingredients at fair price. I bought this food for my husky that is highly allergic to grains and has a sensitive stomach.
She is having three to four accidents a day and has red puffy eyes. I changed her wet food to this food and have noticed a huge difference in her! She is here control, her red puffy eyes are almost gone, and she isn’t having accidents as much as before.
13. Instinct Be Natural Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food Formerly Prairie by Nature's Variety
- Natural ingredients
- Clean, wholesome, yet nutritious
- Probiotics promote healthy digestion
- Grain and meat-free…for dogs with allergies or sensitive digestive systems
- Slower-digesting protein sources promote healthy skin and coat
- No corn, wheat or soy
- USDA certified organic
- Not guaranteed free of chicken, eggs, dairy, beef, tree nuts, or peanuts and may contain small amounts of fish or shellfish
- Very small kibble (1/2" to 11/2")
- Some complaints of constipation
- Slower to hydrate than some commercial foods
Although it's not particularly hypoallergenic, some dogs with allergies or even sensitive digestive systems do well on this formula.
Low-fat, grain-free, and considered high protein for an organic formula, it's an excellent choice for dogs with allergies.
14. Purina Beyond Grain Free
- Great Variety
- High Quality Ingredients
- Extensive List Of Ingredients
- High Volume, Low Quality Protein Sources
- Low Calorie Intake
If you’re looking for an affordable, high-quality wet dog food formula, you may want to consider Purina Beyond Grain Free Natural Dog Food.
Made with turkey, salmon, eggs, and potatoes, this formula features a high-quality animal-based protein blend that won’t put your dog in harm’s way.
Grain-free is a great choice for most dogs, particularly those with food allergies. The starch in typical dog food recipes can be difficult for some dogs to digest, resulting in a variety of reactions, most of them unpleasant.
15. Newman'S Own Chicken & Liver Dinner
- Satisfying and healthy
- Taste great
- Made from over 100 natural ingredients
- All profits support the Ms Neeson's Own charity
- Suitable for all dogs
One of the best qualities of this meal is that it uses over 100 natural ingredients, which is a lot more than most other similar products out there. Not only are these ingredients all natural, but they will also give your dog the best possible nutrition that they can get.
This food is recommended for all dogs, from big dogs to small dogs, from healthy dogs to sick dogs. It can even be fed to dogs that are pregnant and nursing puppies. You can give this product to your dog for every single meal, or you can use it as a rewarding treat to get them to do what you want.
The only action that you need to take to prepare this food is to add it to warm water.
16. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food
- Organic, human-grade quality
When it comes to the best organic dog food in 2020, the Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food is probably the most healthy choice.
When you’re feeding your dog millions of dollars of processed dog food each year, you should be happy about Honest Kitchen’s Human Grade Pet Food. Instead of feeding your dog empty calories, Honest Kitchen’s recipe is 100% natural with over 90% organic ingredients, and has no added by-products, artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
Flaxseed is a powerhouse ingredient in this organic dog food, providing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants. The recipe contains one of the most protein-dense foods – whole brown rice. This dog food formula contains only 4% carbohydrate and 15% protein. It meets AAFCO standards and delivers the high-quality nutrition that your dog needs.
17. Castor & Pollux Organix Organic Canned Dog Food
- Great company
- All natural
- Reasonable price for 12 cans
- Flavor variations
- BPA free cans
- Can be messy
- Some other dogs may not like the taste
This is a well-balanced dog food that contains protein from chicken and egg. This recipe is easily digestible and is supported with an antioxidant blend. This healthy food also contains nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that will keep your dog healthy.
This product comes in a 12-pack of 12.7 ounce cans. These cans are also BPA free to provide you with a light and safe can to provide your pet food. This dog food is so great that it is made in an allergen free facility that does not test on animals. This recipe is gluten free, organic, and grain free.
This company also uses 100% renewable energy, recycles, and waters crops that are used in the food. This is a unique pet food for dogs, that contains no artificial colors or flavors.
18. I AND LOVE AND YOU" Naked Essentials Wet Dog Food
- Free from grains
- Free from fillers and hormones
- Taste great with natural meat flavors
- Proprietary method to keep the food fresh
- Prevents nausea, gas and diarrhea
- Avoids inflammatory properties of grains
- Packaging could be better
- Can be purchased only online
We have found that I And Love And You Dog Food is the best organic dog food for our little fellows. It is really hard to find a dog food that does not contain ingredients that are harmful to your dog and that is specially made for your beloved dog. Now, you can use this I And Love And You Dog Food for your dog because this food is specially made for your dog so you don’t need to worry about your dog.
We have found that this Dog Food is the best quality dog food and it does not contain any ingredients that can harm your dog. So, you can easily use this dog food for your dog without any worry and it also taste great for your dog.
19. Whole Earth Farms Adult Recipe
- Available in several sizes
- Can be a tad expensive
- Easy to find
- Great quality with no additives, fillers, by-products, corn, wheat, or soy
- * Available in only one flavor
Whole Earth foods offer USDA certified natural dog food with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives that’s 100% human-grade, and they believe that dogs are not wolves, and they need to make all the necessary nutrients they need to live.
The company was developed in 1991 in order to offer organic natural dog food that would meet all the nutritional needs of your dog. The company provides you with food that’s freeze-dried, dehydrated, and organic. These foods are manufactured using the finest raw materials…
The Whole Earth Farms Adult Recipe comes in a 12.7-ounce and weighs 9 pounds. This dog food is ideal for dogs of all ages. It’s made using human-grade ingredients of the finest raw materials, and it offers you a dry dog food that has no fillers or by-products and offers complete and balanced nutrition formulated for your dog’s life stage.
20. Instinct Original Grain Free Recipe Natural Wet Canned Dog Food
- Made with NO Corn, Wheat, Soy, By-Product Meal, Artificial Preservatives, or Animal Digest
- Highly Digestible
- High in protein and amino acids
- Contains low glycemic carbohydrates
- Contains probiotics & prebiotics
The first pick is Instinct Original Grain Free Recipe Natural Wet Canned Dog Food.
This canine meal is made with no grains, wheat, soy, by-product meals, synthetic preservatives, or animal digest. This dog food relies on a rich combination of fresh natural ingredients including tasty venison, sweet potatoes, and peas, to create a meal packed with natural ingredients and free of any synthetic additives. This tasty meal is enhanced with the addition of natural ingredients such as blueberries, cranberries, and apples which are all rich in antioxidants that are crucial for maintaining healthy and young skin and coat.
This dog food for puppies is also high in protein, amino acids, low glycemic carbohydrates, and probiotics, whereas it lacks any substances that could cause digestive discomfort. The addition of prebiotics to this dog food provides your dog with a healthy dose of probiotics, while also providing them with a rich supply of essential vitamins and minerals.
21. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dry Dog Food
- No corn, soy, wheat, chicken or poultry
- Animal protein source as the first ingredient
- Made in the USA
- Some find it hard to digest
- Some find it hard to get the dog to eat it
- Small size kibble
With so many options of dog food to choose from, the decision isn’t easy. Different dogs have different needs and of course you want your dog to be very healthy. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dry Dog Food is good for your dog’s skin and coat, digestion and immune system. It’s among the best selling and overall most popular dog foods.
It’s grain free with sweet potatoes, peas, chicken, lamb meal, duck meal, bison and salmon. There’s 27% protein and 23% fat with 3.5% fiber. Dogs needs can change and there are different needs as your dog ages. In that case it can be a good idea to switch to one of the other varieties and then maybe switch back to High Prairie when you dog grows older.
22. Natural Ultramix Grain Free Poultry Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- Easy to digest
- USDA approved organic
- Grain free
- 100% Organic, gluten-free, and non-GMO
- Carbohydrates are higher than expected (50%)
- High fat content
- Some dogs did not respond well to this dog food, especially dogs with allergies.
The Natural Ultramix Grain Free Poultry-Free Adult Dry Dog Food is one of the most well-rated dog foods on the market. The wide range of reviews cover everything from what the food does and doesn’t help with to what the dog’s overall coat felt like after switching over to this food.
This grain free dog food promotes healthy teeth and bones. It is USDA-approved organic, gluten-free and non-GMO. The dog food contains dried chicken meal, peas, potatoes, sunflower oil, pea starch, pumpkin, and canola oil.
23. Natural Planet Organics Rabbit & Salmon Entree Dry Dog Food 15 lb
- Contains zero grains, fillers and harmful ingredients
- Easy to digest
- Made from 100% organic ingredients
- No GMOs, no artificial flavors or colors
- Highly digestible
- Contains no animal protein before processing
- High in Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Contains low levels of protein
- Contains extra preservatives and chemicals
- No bioavailability
- Strictly for small breeds
The natural Planet Organics dog food is made from organic ingredients that are good for the dog. The dog food is filled with nutrients that are needed by your dog. The nutrients will keep your dog fit.
Your dog will also get the best nutrition in the natural Planet Organics dog food. The nutrients will promote the growth of your dog. Your dog will also have a beautiful coat due to the nutrients. The dog food is also good for maintaining your dog’s coat. The nutrients will improve the look of your dog.
24. Natural Ultramix Adult Dry Dog Food
- Contains fresh chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, and barley
- Contains no pork, dairy, wheat, or corn
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Contains no added growth hormones, antibiotics, or steroids
- Contains no GMOs
- Rated 4.5/5 stars by Amazon's customers
- Includes probiotics for healthy digestion
- Large bag can last for several months
- Can be a bit pricey
- Some dogs might have health problems with certain ingredients
- No supplements added
- Might not support a longer healthier life
- No meat proteins added
This food receives high marks from customers as well as from experts for its high level of fresh meat, including chicken meal and chicken. Oatmeal is added to make the food healthier, and barley is used to make the food easier to digest.
The food uses proteins so people are less likely to develop allergic reactions, and it doesn’t use any kind of filler to extend the product.
The meat sources are humanely raised and are sourced from farms in the United States. No hormones, chemicals, fillers, or additives are added to the food. Beef is also a great source of protein and helps dogs build muscle. It also helps provide dogs with much-needed energy.
25. Spot Farms Whole Grain Dog Food
- Wheat free
- Made with grass-fed lamb
- 100% Organic
For Medium Breeds (28.8 pound)
Spot Farms dog food is a great dog food that offers your pet the purest, raw, and natural diet that they can get since it’s dehydrated food. The main ingredients in this organic dog food are grass-fed lamb and freshwater fish.
The product is prepared in a facility that also prepares human food. The manufacturing process is controlled in every step with the security of consumers, nutritionists, food experts, animal nutritionists, and veterinarians. The end result is human-grade product that great for dogs to eat that they love.
There are 5 main components of a pet food. The meat/meat meal as the protein source; the carbohydrate source (typically grain in dog food); the vegetable matter and fiber sources (calculated as a percentage of ingredients before cooking); the fat source (all fats are not the same); and the water content.
Wegmans Food Markets offers a wide selection of dog foods, including organic dog food, in its stores. Wegmans’ organic dog food contains zero byproducts and no ingredients that have been tested on animals. Also, Wegmans’ dog food is sourced in or near Pennsylvania or North Carolina, depending on the brand.
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein||Best Overall|
|Instinct Be Natural Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food Formerly Prairie by Nature's Variety||Budget Pick|
|Newman'S Own Chicken & Liver Dinner||Upgrade Pick|