If you can't bring your dog on your next adventure, then a great dog tracker might be your next best option — but there are a lot of options out there, so it can be hard to pick the right one … That's why we put together this guide, so you can learn the most important things to look for to make sure you always know where your dog is.
1. Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle
- Tracks up to 20 dogs
- Includes 430, dog tracking collar and one year base plan
- Bundle includes one-year base plan
- 52MB of internal memory for maps
- Connects to Garmin GPSMAP
- Connects directly to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery
- Updates every 2-5 seconds
- Compatible with Garmin's new free NAIS mapping software
- Minimum of a 7-year battery life
- Longest battery life of any Garmin handheld GPS
- Heavy and bulky when handheld
- No ready to use maps
- Most expensive handheld dog tracker
The Garmin Astro 430/T Dog Tracking Bundle is the biggest dog tracker available with 20 dogs being tracked at once. It is also one of the most expensive handheld devices, but the in-built memory capacity allows extra dogs to be added without the need for SD cards. It is also the most heavy and bulky handheld available.
This handheld is aimed at sporting dog owners and hunters that need to track large numbers of dogs at once. If you have a smaller number of dogs to track then you may want to opt for another handheld.
2. Garmin TT 15 Mini Dog Device
- Comes in five bright colors
- GPS and GLONASS capabilities
- Easy-to-use app
- Battery life of about 12 hours
- Can take a bit of time to get used to how it works
Need some puppy love in your life? Get the Garmin’s TT 15 Mini Dog Device! This GPS tracking collar helps track the exact location of the dog or cat. It is waterproof and super easy to use.
It comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that provides up to a 12-hour use period. The Garmin is amazing, so easy to set up and use. It is incredibly accurate and saves you both time and money.
You can easily track your dog or cat using the free Garmin mobile application. The best part is that you can do so from anywhere in the world where you have internet connection. The app tracks the location of your dog or cat on Google virtual maps. The collar has a green LED light and a mini vibration when it detects something near the dog. Both dog and cat come with a separate device.
3. Eureka Technology MARCOPOLO Advanced Pet Monitoring
- High-quality tracker
- Solid Battery Life
- Fast 2G/3G Connection
- Easy to set up
- Social Media Capabilities
- A bit bulky on the small animals
- Water/Sensors can be temperamental
Eureka Technology MARCOPOLO Advanced Pet Monitoring, Tracking and Locating System (APMLS) is a great piece of kit if you want to know where your pet is at all times. It’s also perfect for keeping tabs on you pet when they’re outside, busy chasing after mice and cats at the park.
The APMLS has a built-in GPS receiver that makes it easy to view your pet’s location on a map, get live updates 24/7, as well as track their movements from your smartphone or a computer.
As well, you can even confer a voice message to the unit, which the pet will hear if they’re within 100 feet of the beacon.
4. Girafus Cat Tracker RF Finder Longest Range up to 1600 ft lightest pet Safety Tracking Device only 0.28oz Small Pets Dog Pro-Track-tor
- Long range up to 1600 ft
- Very Light weight just 0.28oz
- Small & compact design
- Very Affordable
- Two years limited free subscription included
5. Link AKC Smart Dog Collar
- Good battery life
- Good picture quality
- Accurate GPS
The Link AKC Smart Dog Collar is a multi-functional GPS tracker and activity monitor created for dogs who love to go on adventures. While the AKC Tracker may look and feel a little heavy, it packs a ton of useful features and is built to last.
The tracker has an anti-barking feature, which rewards your dog with a treat when he barks at the press of a button. It also comes with water and humidity resistance, so you don’t have to worry about getting caught in the rain.
The tracker is also easy to use. We picked the most accurate AKC trackers from Amazon to make sure you get the best out of your tracker.
6. goTele GPS Tracker
- Easy to use
- Does not require a contract
- Extremely fast shipping
- Can be viewed from anywhere
- The battery dies quickly
- You can not receive notifications if you track the dog from your phone
- They have been known to lose signal randomly
- They can be easily damaged
- They cannot be tracked at night
If you are looking for the absolutely best GPS tracker for your eyes only, the GoTenna is the way to go. They are portable, reasonably priced and group chat is available so you can communicate with others in your group without a cell or internet connection.
The GoTenna is a great tool to bring on hikes, hunting trips and even camping. It allows you to chat with other members of your group without the need to have a cell phone or internet signal. It is a device for 2-way communications, and is an indispensable tool for anyone in the backcountry.
7. BLACK+DECKER Smart Dog Collar
- Have a huge range of coverage which allow you to trace your dog up to 500+ yards (457 meters) in a straight line from the point of activation
- Have a very decent battery life which can maintain the battery between 10.5 to 14 days.
- Along with the above, the batteries are also very easy to charge as it can be charged in just 2 hours to its 100% capacity.
- These products can be easily used as a perfect GPS devices for your dog.
- The tracker is made up of a very high-quality material. The collar and harness are made up of a very sturdy nylon material.
- The tracker also comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery that ensures a long lasting support with proper charging.
- Along with these, it has a number of other things like a dog whistle to call your dog, a LED light for night visibility, separation alerts, etc.
- They also have a toll-free helpline you can call for technical support.
- These devices can be easily used on outdoor trips as well as casual games.
- These are also very much weather resistant.
Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Lasts Up to 14 Days.
8. Smart Tag Bluetooth Anti-lost Tracker Key Finder Pet Wallet GPS Tracker Locator Alarm Patch GPS Tracker Locator
- Multi-purpose use
- Superior customer service
Our top pick is the Smart Tag, currently the best dog tracker on the market. We included it in our list because of several factors including the recovery rate, the affordable price, and the high popularity among dog owners.
This device comes with an extremely high recovery rate due to the proprietary algorithm that it uses for location tracking. You can locate your dog with ease through either iPhone and Android using the Smart Tag app. The anti-lost feature will send you push notifications as soon as your dog strays from your Bluetooth range.
What’s great about this tracker is that it can be used for more than just dogs – you can attach it to your wallet, keys, your child’s backpack, or anything else that could go missing. It’s as versatile as it is practical. So you won’t find yourself buying yet another gadget that will just sit in the drawer.
9. GIBI 2nd Gen Pet GPS Tracker
- Can support 2-5 dogs per account
- Very affordable
- Long battery life
- Easy-to-use app
- Has a bunch of advanced features
- No additional fees once bought
And Live With Timer/Speed Alert, 3 Months Battery.
This GPS tracker offers an impressive feature list for its price. It has an easy-to-use app interface that lets you create multiple accounts for 2-5 dogs per account. It has premium features such as geofence, voice commands, bark control, and even GPS tracking for cats. The SIM card also lasts over a year without recharging.
The accuracy, however, leaves a little something to be desired (100m instead of 10m). The app also has a few bugs but for the money, it’s hard to beat.
10. SportDOG Brand TEK Series GPS Tracking Systems
- High Accuracy GPS
- Extremely Durable
- Long Battery Life
- Excellent Customer Service
- Water and Shockproof
- The innovative system can give you full-time GPS tracking of your pet
- The included remote training collar can help improve your pet’s behavior in a humane way
- Compatible with all-SportDOG Brand dog tracking collars
- Incredibly affordable, considering the quality of the product
- The base station records every function and remains to be seen whether the video will be a pleasant surprise for the customers or a straight-up disappointment.
- The SportDOG TEK Series has gained tremendous popularity among dog owners, who have been testing it out for themselves, and have been giving the product incredible product reviews.
- The Walkie range also offers dog tracking collars up to 2 miles range and 3 dog tracking collars, which can keep track of your pet for up to 15 miles! The collar is adjustable, preventing the risk of your pet’s escape, but it’s also tough and durable.
11. DOTT The Smart Dog Tag
- Pairs with your smartphone via Bluetooth
- The App sends the dog’s location to a web-based map that can be shared with other family members.
- The app comes with a tone that can be set off when your dog is nearby.
- If your dog is lost, the tag will notify you.
- The battery lasts up to 6 months on a single charge!
- Some people have purchased this expecting it to be a GPS tracker
- Some of the functions require the user to purchase new collars for their dogs
- The collar and tag must be purchased separately
- Requires the use of a collar
This is a smart dog collar that pairs with your smartphone and the tag to warn you and others when your dog has gone outside of the areas you have designated as safe.
The app lets you know when your dog has gotten too far from you and gives you the ability to find them on a map. You can use the Dott app to locate your dog using a button on the tag, or you can have your neighbors call you when someone walks by your house with your dog on a leash. Dott has a line of accessories designed specifically for the app and tag.
12. Tractive 3G GPS Dog Tracker
- Long range tracking (800 meters)
- Easy to use and install
- User-friendly interface
- Advanced features like voice notes and proximity alerts
- Reduced battery life while jogging
- Pricey upfront cost
This tracker from Tractive has GPS, 3G, and GSM (cellular) together in just one device. Most dog trackers have to use an app on your phone, which is connected via Bluetooth to your dog’s tracker. This means you have to have Bluetooth on, and the GPS, and cell signal (which typically drains your phone’s battery when you are out and about).
This one has all three separate. So when I use an app on my phone I can choose to turn off Bluetooth and the local GPS and just use the cellular if I want to. This generally improves the battery life of my phone by a couple of days. A really great feature for people who go on longer trips.
The tracker has a range of 800 meters, so if you wish you can be further away from them and still track while they are out running around. The apps are really easy to use and have a user-friendly interface. You can set up custom alerts for just about anything with this one. There are also opportunities for future features to be added via a software update.
13. Pet GPS Tracker
14. Gps Pet Tracker Anti-lost GPS Locating Pet Tracker
- Small size
- Perfect accuracy
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Manual tracking
- App Free
- Low power mode
- No laser pointer
- Limited number of Alerts
- Night Mode
- Doesn’t fit a giant sized dog
Just recently the GPS Pet Tracker gained my attention. The original idea with this tracker was to find your dog or cat. Dog owners quickly realized that this gadget can be used for not only finding lost pets but to track their dog and keep them safe and sound at all times.
Even your cat can use it and you are probably surprised, but yes, you can track your pet cat too. The tracker is small and lightweight. You can attach it to your cat’s collar or harness without any problem.
15. Find My Pet GPS Classic Dog Tracker
- Easy setup
- Lightweight, durable, and comfortable device
The Find My Pet GPS Dog Tracker is easy to set up, with a link that you connect to your smart phone or any other wifi-capable device, and the app is intuitive.
This collar is very lightweight so it doesn’t feel heavy on your dog’s neck. It’s also very comfortable so it’s easy for them to move around without feeling restrained. The package also includes one collar, a USB charger, a female USB charge port, a one-year warranty, and a quick start guide.
The battery that powers the collar doesn’t last as long as you would like, only 7 hours with the GPS on. However, if you’re just using the leash function to track the location, the battery will last longer, around 1 to 2 months.
16. Personal Mini Micro GPS Tracker Locator
- Great Value Package
You need a GPS Pet Tracker that is small enough for your pets to wear comfortably, yet still provides accurate GPS tracking with a durable design that can stand up to all the elements that riding conditions like these can throw at it.
This GPS Pet Tracking Device is specifically designed for the likes of dogs, cats, and other smaller animals. It is easy to install and comfortable to wear. The battery life is pretty decent, making it a good value package overall.
The device is most suitable for:
17. Find My Pet GPS Nano GPS Dog Tracker
- Up to 1 year battery life (Up to 6 months in standby mode)
- Small and discreet nano-sized device weighing under 1 ounce
- Small enough to fit in a pocket or easily attached to your dog's collar
- Uses a SIM card and doesn't require monthly billing
- Ability to call your pet when you're lost/need to find him or her
- Cheap, affordable technology that provides reliable service
- Personalized geofencing that you can set to alert you whenever your pet wanders too far from your home
- Set your pet to play a sound when he or she is found, or receive alerts when your pet stops moving
- You can set the device to record sound continuously or only when it detects an oncoming dog barking or other sound
- While the battery life is 1 year, the GPS tracking part of the battery only lasts for about 2 months before it needs to be replaced. That means that you'll need to have a replacement battery if you ever need to track your dog after the initial 2 months.
- Some pet owners have complained that there's no way to make it so that you can't see your pet's exact location on the tracking app, which means that other people could see coordinates that may reveal your address or make your pet easier to steal.
18. PETCARE New Fashion Design Dog GPS Tracker Collar
- Discreet tracking without Bulky Case
- Free app
The New Fashion Design Dog GPS Tracker Collar Universal is a well-made product for you and your pet. With the free app, it is easy to track and track your own dog. The new concept is very sleek, giving your dog an attractive look. Besides that, this product is a real hands-free. You do not have to worry about charging or connecting. In addition, your dog will never run out of battery. With color memory LED light and sound alert, it easy to identify your dog in the dark.
This collar and bracelet comes with 5 colors for you to choose. As to the size, it is suitable for dogs with thickness between 5.5-270mm and 4.5-315mm for cats. Also, this collar has a waterproof design which is ideal for rainy days.
PETCARE New Fashion Design Dog GPS Tracker Collar Universal comes with a year warranty. To keep your tracking dog safe, you can start tracking your dog now.
19. Pod 3
- Easy Setup
- Long Battery Life
- Long Distance Tracking
- No Attachment Loop
- Don’t Buy Without Research
The Pod 3 is a good option for daily activity tracking that will work on both long and short trips. If you want more advanced features, like geolocation, for your pet then continue reading for our other product recommendations.
This product will keep track of your pet’s activity. It will measure pace, distance, calories, and other physical aspects. It also has the ability to set a virtual boundary, so if your pet leaves this area you will be notified.
What I like about this product is that it uses battery-efficient GPS tracking. Pet owners may use the battery life for over a year. It will also record the time of day and period when your pet has wandered off the property. This unit has an attractive and adjustable design that will fit small and large dogs.
20. PABY Pet Tracker
- Good overall value
- Integrated with social media
- Long battery life
- Requires installation of proprietary app
- Shuts down upon low battery
The PABY Pet Tracker is a great activity monitor that allows you to see your dog’s location, daily distance traveled, and when they last ate or drank.
This GPS dog tracker also includes a virtual fence that notifies you if your pet continues to roam after their pre-set boundary has been reached. The PABY Pet Tracker is water resistant and can be worn on your pup’s collar, on a harness, or even on your own wrist when you’re out and about.
We also appreciate that this GPS dog tracker connects to social media to let everyone know that you’re dog is headed home.
21. Beafup Pet GPS Collar Tracker
- Waterproof collar with long battery life
- Location history – track multiple dogs or cats
- Works great as a leash ‘ relieves pet owner stress
- Very limited customer service
- Somewhat outdated/difficult to use app
(Waterproof, One Color)
You might have heard of Beafup, one of the leading GPS locator brands when it comes to tracking and monitoring your dog or cat. The Beafup Pet GPS Collar Trackers can track more than just dogs or cats, but any pet with a tag between 1.5 and 10 lbs. Of course, your favorite pet needs to have the collar on them to be tracked via GPS.
Beafup specializes in GPS collars for a variety of animals ranging from cats, dogs, rabbits, horses and a lot more … all the way to pets with GPS collars and cameras! In fact, there’s an automatic update that comes with some models that can take pictures and send them to your phone.
22. SupremeLife Pet Mini GPS Tracker
- GPS and LBS dual positioning
- Perfect for cats and small dogs
- Suitable for small to medium-sized dogs with a minimum neck size of 5.5"
- Collar is light, bright, and durable
- Very affordable
- Does not have GPS alone
- Battery life is shorter than some of its competitors
- The GPS signal can sometimes be hard to get a fix on
This model is for small dogs and cats when you’re looking for the highest level of protection for a low price.
The Supreme Life Pet Mini GPS Tracker, Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof, GPS+LBS Dual Mode Position, Pet Dog Cat Kids Collar ID Locator Tracking Loss Prevention for Small Medium Large Dogs and Cats is a favorite among many pet owners because of its versatility. It works as a standard GPS model and a two-way tracker when you pair a mobile phone app.
It has a handy 2.3-inch screen that is large enough to see your pet’s metrics, but small enough to be hidden under your pet’s collar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best GPS tracker for dogs?
The best GPS tracker for dogs depends a lot on what the specific use case is. There are countless options available for tracking your dog with a GPS tracker in 2021.
Since there are specialists in this industry, and different uses for the devices, it is difficult to name one as being the best GPS tracker for dogs. However, we can dive a little into these devices, and explain the pros and cons of each unit.
One of the most popular GPS trackers that we personally use is the PetHub. The PetHub has numerous features. It is a dog GPS tracker, dog activity tracker and a pet camera all in one. It can be used to create an interactive map with the help of their App. It also has zooming features which can be used with its camera. It allows you to supervise your dog and leave them virtual treats, do live streaming from anywhere, and other cool features.
Another great dog GPS tracker is the Whistle 3.
What is the best dog tracker collar?
In our opinion, the PetPace GPS is the best dog collar. It’s a little on the pricey side, but it offers you excellent features and works flawlessly every time you take your pooch out for a run.
It measures all the key vital signs as you exercise with your dog, such as heart rate, temperature, and activity levels. Plus, it doesn’t even bother you if your dog is exercising normally, which helps save on the battery.
This is ideal for those looking for information on how their pet is doing while he/she is out on a walk or run with them. For you avid dog lovers, you want to make more of a connection between the time you spend with your pet because it influences their well-being as well as yours. The PetPace can help you achieve just that.
Do GPS dog trackers work?
To answer this question, let’s first take a quick look at the modern GPS trackers. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It is a system of satellites circling the earth that transmit data about exact locations of both fixed and mobile objects.
Using special GPS handheld devices, we can receive the signals from GPS satellites orbiting the earth and pinpoint our location in terms of latitude and longitude. This technology has revolutionized the way we find and track our belongings.
Owners of outdoor dogs including cats use GPS trackers to monitor activities of their pets while on a walk. They can track their pets right from their smartphones or laptops. In fact, this is one of the hottest gadgets in the electronics market.
What is the best GPS tracker for cats?
The market is just now starting to come around to the fact that cats and other animals can benefit from GPS collars as well. Though GPS collars for cats are still not super common on the market, there are a few good options to consider. These collars are not just a great way to keep track of your cat while you are at work or out of the house for several hours. They also can help you know the temperature inside the cat’s house or under human care. Having access to the GPS will help with this feature.
If your cat stays outside a lot, the best GPS cat collar can easily let you know where they are to be able to avoid any disasters while outside. Since cats can hit windows or doors and run into stationary objects, having a GPS cat collar has helped to keep felines safe.
Buying the best GPS dog tracker isn’t as easy as going down to the local pet store. These days, there’s a plethora of options available online and narrowing down your options can be confusing and frustrating.
The main purpose of dog trackers is to improve your relationship with your four-legged family. They serve as a GPS tracker, activity monitor, and health meter for your dog. The tracker sends you notifications when your dog crosses a pre-set boundary, warns you if your dog is being in a high-risk activity zone, provides and an activity log of your dog, and even alerts you to when your dog is not moving.