I have been a proud dog owner for more than 10 years. My choice of dog crates have changed a lot during these years. I have moved from wooden crates to plastic crates and even metal crates. I managed to find the best dog crates for different purposes.
These dog crates are full of functionality and are good in different situations. We are going to have a look at them in our buyer’s guide to the best dog travel crates.
Of course, I had to pick these three:
- Aspen Pet Pet Porter Plastic Kennel
- Petmate Two-Door Top Load Pet Kennel
- ProSelect Empire Soft-Sided Collapsible Crate
And why you should choose these three? Simply because, I have tried lots of brands, models and sizes and I can say they are the best dog travel crates.
|AmazonBasics Two-Door Top-Load Hard-Sided Pet Travel Carrier||Best Overall|
|Midwest Spree 22 inch Pet Carrier||Budget Pick|
|Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier||Upgrade Pick|
1. AmazonBasics Two-Door Top-Load Hard-Sided Pet Travel Carrier
- Lightweight: less than 10 pounds
- Top and side door with dual latches to prevent escape and excess moisture
- Comes with removable divider panel that allows you to configure your pet crate depending on the animal’s size, age, and temperament.
- Polypropylene pan with 4 rubber feet at the base to prevent the crate from sliding around.
- Airline approved and carry-on suitable
- Additional pet pads not included
- Available in 3 sizes
- Pan is located on top with holes; you may find water accumulating on the floor during travel
- AmazonBasics is a rarely used brand and this is only one shipping option available on select models
- Amazon shipping is often delayed
- The three-piece design is vulnerable to breakage
- Customer service lacks in terms of pet safety knowledge and guidance
I would attest that the AmazonBasics travel crate is the best dog travel crate on the market today. It costs less than most of its competitors, but it may not last as long as other high-quality dog crates out there.
2. Petmate Two Door Top Load
- IATA certified for international air travel
- Easy to assemble
- Pet door is included
- Provides your dog with a good amount of comfort and security
- Affordable price
- Fabric gets dirty rather easily
- Doesn’t come with any extra accessories
- Some dogs are better fit for them than others
This crate offers a secure and comfortable den for your dog. Assembling this crate is fairly easy and shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes. The top door ensures that you’ll be able to enter and leave the crate a lot more easily, without having to lift up the whole crate. Plus, the tension-mounted door keeps the door in place and makes it harder for the dog to pop out of the crate by accident.
The extra-large door measures 7 inches by 7 inches and works with most size dogs out there. The crate comes with a ventilating system and a slide-out plastic pan for easy cleanup. The removable plastic pan comes in quite handy when you’re training a pup and is good for keeping the dog dry during transport from place to place.
The crate features a rectangular wire door and an alternating black and silver coloring that will hide most of the dirt and hair shed by the dog.
3. A4Pet Soft Collapsible Dog Crate and Kennel
- Soft and lightweight travel crate
- Leak-proof bottom on the kennel
- Easy to setup and clean
- Product comes with a lifetime warranty and the manufacturer is very responsive to consumer feedback
- Produces some plastic fumes when it is sewing
- The door assembly is a little flimsy
If you are looking for a soft and lightweight dog crate, this one from A4Pet will serve you well. The dog kennel comes with a waterproof bottom that will protect your dog from accidents both indoor and outdoors. The kennel is also collapsible, soft and lightweight. This dog crate does not require any hard assembling.
This set comes with a mesh door. The door flap covers the top of the crate and is zipped on the top for a safe and secure seal. The door also has a locking mechanism which makes it easy for you to open the door and get your pet out and put it back in safely. This dog kennel is brightly colored and can be used for both indoor and outdoor use.
This dog crate is also spacious enough for large dogs. It can easily accommodate dogs weighing up to 60 pounds. The dog kennel can also be folded, which makes it easy to store. This dog crate comes with a lifetime guarantee.
4. 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
- Easy to use and fold
- Great for travel
- Has a lot of ventilation for your dog
- The zippers wear down quickly
- Some of the stitching also frays a bit too quickly
- Not easy to carry when folded for long distances
( for Large Dog,Puppy, German Shepherd )
Are you looking for the best dog crate? I can tell you that this is yet another amazing product we reviewed. While I was reviewing this, I had to consider its design and style.
When it comes to design and style, these are top sellers. They are highly rated due to the great features that come with these crates. When it comes to design, it's actually one of our favorites when it comes to the breeds.
5. Midwest Spree 22 inch Pet Carrier
- Sturdy with a Triple-Grip Sliding Door.
- Highly Rated on Amazon
- The handle is made of a slippery material, which can throw off your balance if the dog is struggling against you.
- The latches are a little tricky to engage.
- Not 100% escape proof.
Twenty-six states including the District of Columbia prevent this convenience by restricting the sale of pets in pet stores.
However, pet stores in those states are still allowed to sell animals from other states or countries where laws may be less restrictive.
In order to prevent the sale of pets that may have been obtained illegally, some states impose restrictions that require pet stores to purchase animals from local animal pounds and animal protection agencies.
6. Petsfit Sturdy Wire Frame Soft Pet Crate
- Available in 4 sizes
- Lightweight, but sturdy for pets that tend to be aggressive or destructive
- Lots of ventilation, with or without a machine
- Smallest crate may be too small for a dog
- Side walls are higher than the front or back of the crate, making it difficult for large dogs to get in and out
- Higher price than many competitors
While this crate was knocked in some of the reviews because of its price, it simply is the highest rated dog crate when we ordered it. We were considering ordering a cheaper crate but we decided to order this crate after reading some of the reviews of the cheaper crates. This crate is very sturdy. It has a wider base making it harder to tip over but easier to handle. And while some of the less pricey crates were rated higher, many users of these crates reported the crates were not sturdy at all, and they broke upon use. If using a pet crate for travel, you want a crate that can handle being tossed around and being put into and taken out of a vehicle. The Petsfit Sturdy Wire Crate is that crate.
The Petsfit Sturdy Wire Crate is compatible with almost all air conditioners, or it can just be parked in front of the window or in front of a fan to keep your dog comfortable even in extreme temperatures.
7. Aspen Pet Traditional Kennel
- Comes in 4 different sizes
- Easy to set up and use
- Features a strong door latches
- Lightweight and portable
- Approved by veterinarians and car manufacturers
- Not rolled or folded and must be completely assembled each time you want to use it
- The bars don’t line up to form a grid
- Doesn’t feature walls with enough excess material to give your pooch enough room to squirm
- The door sticks sometimes up when opening
- Not enough ventilation holes in the roof
If you’re looking for an affordable crate, the Aspen Pet Traditional Kennel Crate is a great choice as it’s airline approved and can even be used in the car for road trips. This fantastic option scores high for its durability and a combination of safety features – including the indicator that shows the crate is locked and the safety latch on the door that prevents it from being opened.
The crate comes with a carrying handle on the top, a latch on the door for security, and a divider for crate training – making it a great option for training new puppies or older dogs.
8. Petmate RUFF MAXX KENNEL 24" 10-20LBS
- Affordable price
- Plenty of positive feedback
Our top pick is the Petmate RUFF MAXX Kennel, which is one of the most versatile dog travel cages around.
The Petmate RUFF Max Kennel can be used for small, medium, and large dogs weighing 10-20lbs, and ideally, it can be used for dogs weighing up to 18lbs.
This dog crate comes with four secure points to ensure a customized fit for your canine buddy, and it doubles up as a car seat, so your dog can enjoy his/her journey with you.
9. Premium Pet Carrier Airline Approved Soft Sided
- Car Seat Friendly
- Super Safe
- Easy to keep clean
- Easy to travel anywhere
- High quality door
- Plenty of room
- Plenty of color options
Fits Both Small and Large Dogs, 20 x 15.2 x 11.8-Inch
As dog owners, all of us want the best for our pets, which is why you might be searching for the best dog crates for travel. This is a rabbit hole that you can fall down pretty rapidly.
So, instead of wasting your time, check out this dog crate review where I cover a wide variety of options to make sure you and your pup end up happy.
10. PETS GO2 Premium Small Pet Carrier
- Top and side openings
- Comes with a small and removable bed
- Can use for airline travel
- Some complaints of the plastic being brittle and cracked
- Leaks during storms
And Leash Included.
Pets Go2 has been rated as one of the best dog carriers because it offers top and side opening doors.
The pet carriers also come with a wheels, which make it easier for you to pick it up and move around.
11. EliteField Soft Sided Pet Carrier
- Five sizes are available for all sizes of pets
- Great Airline Approved model
- Noticeable plastic smell for the first two weeks
- Some buyers report it's not the most durable model available
Available in three sizes and five colors, the EliteField Soft-Sided Dog Crate is an excellent option for most dog owners. The size ranges from extra small to large. The smallest model comes with a removable top tray that opens up and allows for one side of a two-door model. The larger crates come with a two-way top door, which gives a larger opening but is slightly harder to use.
My favorite feature is the collapsible design, which makes it easy to travel with or store in tight spaces. Many other soft-sided options do not collapse down, which takes up more space and is less convenient when your corgi can't be packed inside. The collapsible feature is also a key benefit for dog owners who travel a lot.
12. JESPET Soft Pet Crates Kennel 26"
- Very Sturdy
- Can be put together/folded in a few minutes
- Offers a good amount of ventilation
- Comes with convenient straps and a fleece mat
- Some reports of it not being quite big enough
(X-Large: 36"), (XX-Large: 3 Door)
The JESPET Soft Pet Crates Kennel comes in two different sizes – 26 inches and 30 inches – which means it will fit dogs weighing between 12 to 45 lbs respectively. The XX-Large crate will fit dogs between 45 to 85 lbs.
It’s made with a steel frame and high-density EPS foam panels, meaning it will feel and function like a normal crate when not folded.
13. Mr. Peanut's Soft Sided Portable Pet Crate
14. Go Pet Club Soft Crate
If you are the owner of multiple dogs, the Go Pets Club soft crate is an excellent option. It has a 600D fabric with a double stitched form. For better durability, it comes with a padded base panel. The top of the crate includes a mesh grate for better ventilation. Its side door is perfect for a convenient entry and exit. Also, your dog will always feel safe inside this crate because the door latches securely and securely.
The Go Pet Club soft crate comes with a set of two base and a carrier handle. That way, moving it from one place to another is a breeze. With the included base and carrier handle, you can be certain that your dog will always travel in comfort. Also, the set includes a convenient carrying bag that comes in handy.
The mesh grate on the top of the crate helps maintain proper ventilation of your pet.
15. Henkelion Cat Carriers Dog Carrier Pet Carrier
- Cute and trendy design
- Plenty of venting opportunities
- True to size
- Very lightweight and compact, making it easy to travel with your pet
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Extremely spacious for your pet to move around inside
Our comprehensive review metrics calculated the overall size, warranty coverage, design, security, ventilation, materials, and quality of the carrier.
For the security metric, we focused on the latches of the carrier and its ability to resist tampering and provide a safe shelter for your pet.
In the ventilation metric, we deemed the venting suitable for hot and humid climates where pets can be kept in their carriers for relatively long amounts of time.
16. AmazonBasics Portable Folding Soft Dog Travel Crate Kennel
- Affordable and durable
- Sturdy – no chance of your dog pushing his way out and bolting to freedom
- Easy to disassemble and store
- Pretty easy to set up and fold away
- Comes with a removable soft bed and a carrying case
Picking a Top Pick in dog crates is difficult when you consider the number of options that are available. Not only do you have the option between soft and hard dog crates, but also a considerable amount of brands. The AmazonBasics Portable Folding Soft Dog Travel Crate Kennel impressed us with its durability and overall quality, as well as the brand name.
If you’re traveling and need a soft dog crate at an affordable price, this product from AmazonBasics is an excellent option. It can be folded up and stored in the carrying case, and includes a soft bed and other accessories. The removable grab handle and lightweight design make this a convenient product for travel.
The ventilation isn’t the best, as it gets a bit stuffy if your dog is left in it for long periods of time. However, this issue could be easily solved by adding accessories like a crate pad or a dog hammock.
17. Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Home
- Easy to clean with soap and water
- Fairly lightweight considering its size
- Has ventilation on all four sides
- Assembly can be tricky at times
- The plastic bottom has a tendency of breaking
- Has been known to overheat
The Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Home for Pets is a highly versatile product that allows you to house your dog even when there is no place indoors for them to stay.
This is one of the few crates that has both indoor and outdoor uses, which make it great for pet owners who live in areas where the weather changes frequently.
The fact that it is also highly portable makes it the perfect crate for traveling with your dog and keeping him safe and secure.
18. IRIS Medium Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier
- The 360deg swivel top door with slide bolt latch
- A dual security slam latch
- Spacious enough for 2 small dogs
- Comes with a 2 year warranty
The IRIS Medium Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier is the best dog travel crate for your furry friends. They come in three different sizes, Medium, Large, and X-Large. This carrier is made by IRIS for the lowest price possible without compromising quality. Aside from the affordable price, IRIS also made sure to make sure the carrier is easy to set up and clean. Some carriers require you to assemble everything, but IRIS cut a few corners and made it super easy to use. To assemble, you simply slide the rod into the slots on the sides then attach the ‘pet door’ on the side of the carrier.
The door is perfect, it can be opened fully and you can have 2 escape holes if needed. This crate attaches to the included tether and you lock it down on your seat with the included seat belt or airline/train seat belt connector. The crate comes with a removable insert that attaches to a steel frame. This enables you to adjust the size of the crate to fit your pet. The frame can be loosened with a simple twist and pulled out and adjusted. This keeps your pet cozy and safe.
19. Aspen Pet Porter Heavy-Duty Pet Kennel
- Sturdy, stable, and durable
- Easy to wash
- Great for long distance travel
- Doesn’t collapse
The Aspen Pet Porter Pet Kennel is a heavily rated indestructible dog cage that you can put your beloved pet in during road trips.
This carrier is made from molded plastic, which makes it sturdy enough to not allow your dog to escape. This plastic is made to last for a long time and can be easily washed making it perfect for long distance travel.
Some dog owners were concerned that this carrier is heavy and not easy to carry around even though it has handles.
20. Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier
- Very sturdy
- Not as much light leakage for day trips as other kennels
- Locking mechanism is somewhat difficult to use
- Not as functional for larger than mid-sized dogs
This crate is a good pick for pet owners looking for a kennel that can become their dog’s home away from home. This pet kennel features a significant amount of flexibility, durability, and visibility.
The Petmate Sky Kennel is made for both dogs and cats of most sizes. The steel materials and metal hardware mean it will last for years to come.
There is a metal door in the front of the kennel. The door also has a transparent window for your pet to look out and see you.
21. Petmate Vari Kennel
- Easy to maintain, clean, and store
- Lightweight materials make it easy for transport & storage
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Easy to remove rolling wire frame for cleaning
- Comes with a divider panel to easily adjust into 3 different sizes
- Easy to train puppies to use new kennel
- Includes 3-year warranty
- Good for transport by vehicle, boat, train, or plane
- The door has to be manually shut and locked
- Putting the divider panel back can be challenging when rolling frame is included
- The door latch can be extremely finicky
A dog’s kennel is an important investment as it is where they can sleep, relax and even travel. When you’re a owner, it’s important to choose the right one that can fit many functions.
The Petmate Vari Kennel is suitable for pets of all sizes and doesn’t limit you to one breed. It’s designed to work for all dogs, including large dogs, and even small dogs.
This specific kennel comes with a removable rolling wire frame that easily detaches and reconnects from the metal doors. The door latch is also easy to use with one hand.
22. Plastic Kennels Rolling Plastic Wire Door Travel Dog Crate
- Excellent build quality
- Very easy to assemble
- Good price
- Good size for dogs
- Wheels for easy transportation
- Can be attached to the top of a car
- No tools needed for assembly
- Durable and high quality materials
- Dog’s claws cannot tear it apart
- Removable floor for easy cleaning
- It is not a happy camper with a pet dog.
- Some dogs can escape from the wire crate
- Not suitable for long-distance travel
- Not suitable if you have more than one pet
- You should be careful to open the door of the wire crate off-road when installing on the roof of a car or truck so as not to be injured by the door.
With all that said, let’s get into the review of the top four maxi dog crates currently available for sale.
If you own a particularly large, hairy, or even surly dog, getting them into a car may seem more like a wrestling bout than a simple journey to the vet. If this sounds like you, it’s time to invest in a larger canine travel kennel. Recommended by veterinarians and used by dog show competitors, plastic dog carriers provide an easy way to transport your pet in the car.
23. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
- Plush & Comfy
- Easy Cleaning
The EliteField Soft Dog Crate is a versatile and collapsible dog crate that comes in multiple sizes. The best part is that you can choose an EliteField Folding Soft Crate that will best suit your dog’s needs. It has a 3-door system that provides easy access for your pet while also giving it total privacy. Your pet can have fun in its own private space in the house, or you can choose a bigger option if you want it to be used as a carry crate. It’s also ideal for use in the car or for RV travels. The crate can be easily set up or folded down for storage or for travel, and the fabric can be removed and machine usually for easy cleaning.
Our top pick in travel dog crates is the EliteField Folding Soft Dog Crate. We took into account multiple factors such as materials, durability and price and found that this product has all the features we were looking great price.
It’s a soft crate – so no sharp edges or tall walls for your dog to bang against when it gets to excited. It was designed to give your pet plenty of room and be easy to set up and clean..
24. Petmate Compass Fashion Kennel
- Easy to set-up
- Can be used with pet safety harness
- Allows natural light to enter the crate
- Easy to clean
- Perfect for short term and long trips
- The plastic tray might be a bit flimsy
- Needs a lot of space when set-up
- A bit difficult to re-assemble
Our top pick for best dog travel crate is the Petmate Compass Fashion Kennel. This dog crate / carrier is great for trips both short and long because it makes the experience of traveling with a pet that much less stressful.
The Petmate Compass Fashion Kennel is a portable dog crate that can be used for both short and long distance travel. It features a metal front door with dual locking features that can lock the door into either a closed or open position, and it also has an integrated section so that you can attach it to the outside of your luggage for more convenient traveling.
It has a removable plastic tray that’s very easy to clean, and it also features ventilation so that your pet stays nice and cool on hot days, and it has a soft rubber grip on the bottom so it doesn’t slide around. The Petmate Compass Fashion Kennel also has metal clip-on handles makes it really easy to transfer your pet from the crate to the car to inside your home.
25. PET4FUN® PN950 Foldable Pet Puppy Dog Cat Carrier & Travel Crate
- Perfect Size
- Easy to put together and clean
- Great deal compared to other crates
Our best dog crate is the PET4FUN carrier which has the best combination of value, quality, and customer reviews. It comes in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large, and has a removable carry bag so you can take your pet with you on the go and not worry about what you’re going to do with the crate after.
The crate folds down for easy storage, and is available at a great price, making it a good choice for anyone wanting to transport their pets in something that’s easy to get in and out of. It’s pretty spacious thanks to the measurements of 31x20x20, and includes a removable washable floor mat, a soft foldable pad, and safety locking zippers.
The construction is made with high quality 600D oxford cloth which gives it the appearance of being much more expensive than it is. It also has soft cord handles on the top and side, and mesh windows as well as airy ventilation slots, making it perfect for long car rides.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best travel dog crate?
The most important criteria for any travel crate is it should provide a safe and secure environment for your dog. It should also be versatile for use in your car and when you’re staying in your accommodations.
The features to look for in a travel crate include a sturdy yet collapsible frame, and a door that locks in place, a secure latch, and nice ventilation. It should have enough room for your pet to turn around and lie down comfortably. A comfortable, non-slip bottom layer is also important. It’s also essential for your dog’s crate to be easy to clean.
What is the strongest dog crate?
You may think that the crated is a place where your dog spends most of time in it, so you would need a quite strong crate.
However, it does depend on your dog breed. Some of the strongest dog breeds breeds are highly active and need to keep training, that is why they are put in crates. If you have this type of dog and you need a strong crate, the best option is wire dog crate. It will not be able to collapse or get damaged.
If you have destructive dog breed, you can choose dog crate with divider. This feature will help you to control dimensions of your dog crate.
If your pet is stronger than you expect or dog crate is not for your needs, there is also dog crate with wheels. It has a bottom tray, that can be easily wheeled. This crate is great for people who want to use their crates in different places, for instance, when they are traveling.
What is the safest dog crate for a car?
Every situation and every dog is different, but you really can't go wrong with the ProSelect Empire Dog Cage (Pet Store). However, if you are driving on long road trips, then we do recommend strongly a shock-absorbing crate like MidWest Quiet Time Crate (Pet Store). For most people, the MidWest is greatly superior.
If you plan on doing more hiking, camping, or backpacking with your dog, you might want to consider a different style of crate. These crates are specifically designed to allow dogs to easily escape should they become lost, or in case of a natural disaster.
The dog crates listed above are not safe in this situation, and should not be used to house your dog if you plan on taking it into these situations. Please see our Best Dog Crate for Hiking and Camping guide for more details.
If you want to know more on how to choose a crate, please see the section below.
Are wire or plastic dog crates better?
The answer is mostly personal preference. Plastic crates are lightweight and easy to store, but they are also susceptible to scratching and more cheaply made. Wire crates are heavier, and more challenging to move around.
Based on our experiences and recommendations from other pet owners, we recommend a heavy-duty plastic crate that can be folded and is easy to store. An example is the Arf Pets Pet Tube. However, if you know you will want to be able to move the crate around a lot, then you may want to look for a lighter wire crate.
We recommend avoiding soft-sided crates as they have a tendency to fall apart faster and limits visibility for your dog.
Here are some of your best options and why we think they make the best crates for dogs:
|AmazonBasics Two-Door Top-Load Hard-Sided Pet Travel Carrier||Best Overall|
|Midwest Spree 22 inch Pet Carrier||Budget Pick|
|Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier||Upgrade Pick|