We all want to be able to trust our dog. After all, there’s nothing more relaxing than having your buddy around. However, not all dogs are friendly, trustworthy, or even well-behaved. This is why, one of the best ways to deal with dog training is with a dog training collar.
A lot of people would rather not have their dog wearing a training collar because it makes them look like they’re bad dogs. However, it’s a great training tool that’s been around for decades.
I grew up using them and I specifically remember my German Shepherd and Rottweiler wearing them (though they were of course much bigger than the dog training collars they make now! ).
With so many options to choose from and the difficulty of knowing which one is best, we created this dog training collar buying guide to help you get it right.
|Dog Training Collar||Best Overall|
|PetSpy M86N Dog Training Shock Collar||Budget Pick|
|Dogtra 1900S E Collar Training||Upgrade Pick|
1. Dog Training Collar
- Large Charging Port
- 40-mile range
- The dial is a little hard to turn
- Some of the cheaper models are unsatisfactory
For those of us with more than 1 dog, a specialized dog training collar to help train multiple dogs at once is a huge bonus. This dog training collar is extremely effective at helping you train your multiple dogs at the same time.
The wide range is a godsend for any dog owner. With an effective range of 40 miles, you can train your dogs no matter where you are without having to be right next to them. This huge range can be increased even more by the addition of more training collars (ensuring they all registered to the same remote, of course.)
2. TBI Pro Shock Collar
- Simple and easy to use
- Waterproof and lightweight
- Perfect for small, medium, and large dogs
- Vibration feature allows the user to manage the shock levels until they are comfortable
- Can be used both for training and for separation anxiety
- Collar is not to be used for dogs weighing less than 5 pounds
- Dogs older than 12 years are not recommended
Best Value Quality Dog Training Shock Collar for Antivicing, Runaway Dog Training, Stop Separation Anxiety, Bark Control (Black).
For a lot of dog owners, the search for an ideal training collar can be a long and tedious process. It is not a secret that dog training collars are among the most controversial topics in the pet world. And an important thing to consider while choosing a dog training collar is that it has to deliver the right amount of punishment without harming the dog.
The Petlover Pets TBI Pro Shock Collar is the ideal choice for dog owners, who are looking for the right balance between convenience and safety.
3. Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar
- Very durable and sturdy
- Very comfortable and efficient
- Range up to 1500 feet
- Many awesome features like vibration levels, shock levels, and beep
- Takes some time to get used to
- Not recommended for very big dogs
If there’s one thing you can say about the Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar is that it’s an all-around great trainer. It’s affordable, easy to setup, and takes the guess work out of electrical collars.
If you’re looking for a dog training kit that will instantly start teaching your dog from the moment you get it, then this is definitely the collar for you.
It comes in a wide variety of sizes and the remote attaches easily to the collar with a Velcro strap. These are just some of the features that make it one of the top choices among dog owners all over the world.
4. Dogtra 1900S E Collar Training
5. SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers
- Charger and e-collar are waterproof
- Elegant design
- Comes with a sound and vibration alert that can be adjusted to three levels
- Vibrate mode helps with training new dogs
- The remote has a long range
- Available in two sizes
- Both the remote and collar are rechargeable, with rechargeable batteries included
- Range of 500 yards
- Solid customer support
- Power button on the remote can be accidentally triggered
- Has a short battery life
- Not intuitive to use
- No rechargeable battery pack
- Difficult to see the battery charge
And Long Range – Best Dog Training Collar.
When it comes to dog training collars, there’s probably no name more respected than SportDOG Brand. The manufacturer has built its reputation on incredible product quality and the first-rate customer service to back it up.
The SportDOG Brand 425X REVIEW is no exception to the rule, offering a durable collar that’s entirely waterproof, shock, remote, and a range of up to 500 yards.
6. PetSpy P620 Dog Training Shock Collar
- 100% Waterproof
- 100% Safe
- 100% Professional
- Accurate Selectivity
- REFUND GUARANTEED
- 7 Tones and 5 Vibration Modes
- 24 in 1 Collar with Free Leash
- Automatic Power Saving
- Power On/Off Button
- Super Sensitive Receiver
- Battery is included, but must be charged separately.
For Small Medium Large Dogs
The PetSpy P620 can be used to keep a dog trained and obedient. It features 7 tones and 5 vibration modes. It can be used with small, medium, and large dogs weighing less than 140 pounds. It is convenient to use as it is waterproof and shock resistant. You can use it even in rain or snow.
You can use it for dogs of a living area or a yard. It has a working range of 400 yards.
7. WOLFWILL 100% Waterproof Rechargeable Humane Remote Dog Training Collar 1980ft Blind Operation
- Waterproof for rainy days – IPX7 rating protection
- One-time charge lasts up to 70 days
- No shock or wireless transmitter
- Safe, soft, and durable
- Non-slip surface
- 29 levels of static electricity to prevent pain
- Can be buggy for some dogs
- Takes 15-30 seconds to deliver
- Somewhat large
- Long charging time
You're probably wondering why I added this in the list of the best training collars you can get. Well, it's because this is specially designed to train your dog without physically hurting it.
The WIldwolf 100% waterproof remote dog training collar (which isn't shocking or using wireless signals) offers 29 levels of static electricity, which is adjustable. This will prevent your dog from feeling pain. Moreover, the shock level starts at the lowest and can go up to 29, with the 29th level being the strongest.
The remote isn't the only thing that makes this humane, because the collar is also waterproof. And guess what? The collar fits dogs from 22 to 88 lbs! So, go ahead, get a collar for your furry friend now.
8. Puss and Pooch Dog Training Collar
- 300-Meter Range
- 8 Adjustable Shock Levels
- 3 Learning Modes
- Vibrate/Beep Option
- Safe Static Shock No Negative Effects
- Free 2 Pcs Deeply Padded Collar Straps
- Can Cause Burn Marks
- Collar Receiver can Fall Off
No Negative Effects for Dogs, Best Utility Tracking Collar for Small and Medium Dogs up to 44kg.
For first time dog owner I would recommend Puss & Pooch Dog Training Collar. This is because it is safe and effective training tool for your pet dog. It is waterproof, safe static shock no negative effects for dogs, made of durable material. It has humane vibration & beep functions. This dog training collar has 8 adjustable shock levels when dog bark it provides static shock as a deterrent.
In this age of hyper-individualism it’s getting increasingly difficult to replicate the sense of community that once-upon-a-time served as the foundation of many neighborhoods. One of the major reasons for this is the fact that people simply don’t know their neighbors anymore.
9. PetSpy M86N Dog Training Shock Collar
- Waterproof Collar System
- Rechargeable Remote
- Adjustable Strap
- Shock Level Adjustment
- Easy Installation
- T-Shape LED Indicator
- Static / Electrical Shock
- Vibration / Tone Shock
- Low Battery Level Indicator
- Frequency is Low (140-170HZ)
- LEDs are Dim
- Collar Sizes are Small
- Shock Levels are Low
Our best dog trainer review is for the PetSpy M86N. Affordable and very easy to install, the PetSpy M86N looks as good as it performs. The collar strap is easy to adjust and holds up to a 140lbs dog.
The PetSpy M86N uses a 6-level shock system with several static and vibration modes. There’s also a tone function that lets your dog know when he or she is doing something wrong. The rechargeable remote packs an impressive 30m range, but the recharge time could be longer.
You’re sure to train your dog the right way with the PetSpy M86N dog training collar.
10. PetLevelUp Shock Collar
- Remote training collar with bark trigger
- Quality material
- Waterproof collar
- Includes remote control, collar, and long cable allow for extended range up to 3.3 miles
11. A+ TRAINERROOPZ Dog Training Collar
- Training collar that is rechargeable and waterproof
- Various modes that you can use to train your dog
- Works within half a mile of the remote, which will be out of your dog’s sight
- Voluntary and involuntary functions
- Can be used to keep dogs in a designated area
- Lightweight material that is easy to wear
- Training will be a hassle
- Doesn’t fit very large dogs
Our top pick as the best dog training collar that you can currently buy online is the A+ trainerroopz dog training collar.
This dog training collar comes with a remote control that is used for training your dog from a distance instead of using verbal commands. This product comes with its own rechargeable system. You do not have to buy new batteries or pay for any purchases after unboxing. It is also waterproof. The shock and vibration levels are comparable to most of those found in a dedicated remote system.
12. No Bark Collar dog Training . NO SHOCK . Vibration & Sound Humane Device
- Waterproof & can be submerged under water
- Can provide tone, vibration, and shock stimulation
- 7 stimulation levels
- 16 feet remote control range
- Non-invasive and safe
- It has a shorter lifespan compare to other shock collars
- You have to point the remote towards the dog.
- Only suitable for dogs up to 55 pounds.
- Some customers complain about the tone being heard outside the house.
- Some dogs become immune to the shock and tone feature.
The Petsafe No Bark Collar is ideal for dogs who suffer from separation anxiety and have impulse control problems. This dog training collar can help train the dog to stay away from distractions which helps them better control their impulses. This can lead to the dog having better focus and attention.
When your dog starts barking, you just need to push the button and your dog will recognize the warning signal. The sound and vibration give them the signal to stop barking.
This device is waterproof which means your dog can wear it even if they enjoy swimming.
13. Bousnic Dog Training Collar 2018 Upgraded 1000ft Remote Rechargeable Waterproof Electric Shock Collar
- Comes with a charging station
- Super easy to charge and control
- Good price for its features
- Has a beep mode, vibration mode, and shock mode
- Triple stimulation on shock (more effective)
- Upgradable to a 2nd dog
- Has both China and America adapters
- Easy to clean
- Waterproofing seems cheaply made
- The battery is a little difficult to take out but not impossible
- The shock is a little hard to set up accurately
- Not as high quality as other Dogtra models
This remote dog shock training collar is the most popular dog training collar on Amazon. Features such as the water-proof, shock, vibration, and neck size settings made it a very popular choice for dog trainers. The range is also really impressive, testing it out for myself it worked out to be about 1,000 ft. Within the first five minutes of watching the included tutorial, I was able to get everything assembled and functional.
After setting the dog training collar remote up correctly, I wanted to see for myself how effective electric shock dog training collars actually were. I followed exactly the steps in the manual including standing 20 ft away, and setting the collar to a lower level than I usually would. I then gave my dog a soft verbal command to come with me.
14. A+ Trainer 800 Yards Range Remote Dog Training Collar,(5 Years Warranty) Rechargeable and Waterproof Dog Shock Collar
- Invisible fence for dogs
- 800 yards range
- Three modes of correction: beeping, vibration, and shock
- Two charging ways
- Can fit small dogs, medium, and large dogs
- Large collar
- Short lifespan
Our top pick is the A+ Trainer, the package includes a trainer collar, a receiver collar, a remote control, and a manual. It’s a remote control dog collar that has an amazing range of 800 yards and comes with three different modes of corrections – beeping, vibration, and shock. You can also wirelessly recharge the receiver collar and the remote control as well with the included USB charging cable.
The microcomputer in the collar monitors the dog’s vitals and automatically adjusts the stimulation level according to the dog’s size and temperament. The collar can easily fit dogs weighing between 5 and 150 pounds.
However this collar also has a few minor issues with the plastic build quality, lack of waterproofing, and a short lifespan.
15. Mothca Dog Training Collar
- Budget Friendly
- Low-voltage system, so it will never give your pet a harmful electric shock
- No battery memory so that it will retain its battery charge for 300 incorrect triggering at less than 4.0V and will not degrade or get damaged over time
- 100% waterproof and submersible design to use even with heavy rain or showering the collar
- Special ping sound and beep levels to scare off your pet’s prey if he chose to ignore your annoying noise or electric shocks
- Replaceable battery and adjustable remote neck strap for a convenient and easy battery replacement
- 11 different adjustable sensitivity levels
- Up to 1200 meters long range for training
- Remote transmitter contains an anti-theft and water protection technology for a safe training
- The transmitter can work normally when under 4.0V discharged voltage
- Very limited selection of training collars on offer
- Limited power settings
- A few reports of the remote being too bulky for smaller pets
- A small number of buyers have reported issues with durability and functionality after minimal-to-moderate use periods
The Mothca Dog Training Collar with Remote is a top choice if you mostly want a training collar with a basic but effective design.
16. DogRook Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar
- Doesn’t cause pain to the dog
- Visible LED light to notify the dog, owner, and other nearby people of the barking
- 3 different modes – vibration, shock, and beep – to help you customize your training with your dog
- Adjustable collar to fit dogs of different sizes
- Remote for the collar is not included. However, it’s not too difficult to find one that will fit the collar.
- Some dogs have been known to easily out-smart the collar as in using their paws to turn it off.
The DogRook Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar packs a lot of value for its price tag. It’s a high-quality dog collar that is not only quiet and humane, but can also be used at night thanks to its LED light feature and will send signals to both the dog and the owner.
The collar uses a combination of three different methods to curb irresponsible and excessive barking in dogs. The first two are vibration and light to notify the owner and the dog that the excessive barking is causing the collar to sound off. The last one is the shock, which is only activated after the first two notifying methods have failed.
17. Meyoung Dog Training Collar
- 8 adjustable modes
- Rechargeable collar
- Waterproof collar
- USA customer service
- Short collar length
- Handheld transmitter doesn’t feel as sturdy
The Meyoung Dog Training Collar is a pretty versatile one, capable of eight different modes of sound and vibration to try out depending on the training scenario. This collar also comes with adjustable collar spacing, a good thing for dog owners who have mixed-breed dogs or different sized dogs. It is also waterproof, which makes it convenient for stormy walks.
The Meyoung collar has a nice range of shock and vibration levels, as well as a voice interruption mode and a beep mode. This is great for dog owners looking for a single collar that can do it all. The cloth carrying case that comes with the collar is also a nice bonus, being a handy storage space for the collar, extra batteries and remote transmitter if needed.
Another pro of this collar is its affordability. It’s definitely cheaper than many brands in its class. It may even be considered pricey for some customers. However, this collar has an IPX7 waterproof shell and rechargeable battery, which is not common for collars in this price range.
18. VegasDoggy 2018 Smart Chip Dog Shock Anti-Barking Collar
- One-button operation
- Voice-activated control
- Smart microprocessor chip
- Automatic protection
- Comfortable design
- Waterproof & rechargeable
- Hits without chemicals
- Low battery consumption
VegasDoggy 2018 Smart Chip is a popular dog product which has over 15,000 reviews on Amazon. As one of the best dog training collars it comes with an ultimate quality any dog owner would like for its pet to have. It is an essential tool for training pets as it prevents excessive barking.
This dog collar has an 8 adjustable size settings to fit dogs with neck sizes from 10 to 33 inch. Specially designed for small and large dogs it has a rechargeable battery which provides up to 12 days of working life and supports a month’s long training, that’s why you have more time to enjoy with your dog.
The VegasDoggy Anti-barking Tool comes with the newest rechargeable battery which replaces the old ones. The installation of the battery is easy, and you will be able to use the dog collar right away. The collar has a long lifespan with a practical design.
19. GUANGZIYI Anti Bark Collar
- Provides a safe and humane solution to annoying yapping and sleepless nights
- No more harmful chemicals
- No anti-shock device harmful to your dog
- Features an advanced vibration sensor to reduce false alarms and over-correction
- A safe, humane and convenient solution to train dogs in the neighborhood
- Effective up to 900 meters
- Can control multiple dogs from the same remote
- Can shorten the collar's range with the volume control
- Includes a handy remote control, with a built-in LCD, powered by 2*AAA batteries (Batteries not included)
- The batteries are not rechargeable
- Some say the distance isn’t that great
- The batteries it uses can make it expensive to operate
- The sound and vibration mode of this collar are not adjustable
- The collar is not waterproof
One of the best dog training collars in the market today is from Guangzhiyi. This dog collar will not only get the job done without hurting your dog, but will be the single most effective tool you can buy for your dog training efforts.
20. Shock Collar
- Completely adjustable, so it can be customized as needed
- Remains effective even in adverse weather conditions
- It features waterproof design, so you can use it regardless of the weather
- Shock and vibration available
- More features added: beep, shock, and static stimulation
- It is affordable and versatile
- Effectiveness guaranteed
- Five stimulus modes for accuracy
- It is made with an ergonomic design
- It has been tested and approved by veterinarians
- Controls need to be more responsive
- Control box is easily attached to the dog’s collar
- No reason to use the last few shock levels
Vibration and Feel Control, OrPus Shock Collar.
No collar is better than the other … each one has its advantages and disadvantages. These are the most popular training collars and there are some pretty unique features on this list. After taking a look at the pros and cons of each one, it's easy to see the appeal.
If you’re a dog owner looking for a quick, easy way to communicate commands, teaching tricks, rewarding good behaviour and correcting bad behaviour, then this kind of pet-trainer is for you.
21. MASBRIL Dog Bark Collar
- More humane than products using shock or water
- Super lightweight
- Easy to use remote
- You can use it even with a treat in your hand
- Sufficient capacity to dampen the noise from the dog
- Considerable price
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- Sometimes it works in the opposite way
- Not weatherproof
The Amazon customers have voted this the best bark collar for dogs and it also deserves it. I haven't tried it myself, but based on the testimonies of many customers, I dare to call this the best bark collar for dogs. It has a number of advantages: it's cheaper than the collars that use shock, doesn't cause any discomfort to the dog's ears, can be applied on dogs of any size, and the pets never get used to it.
So the device does not cause any pain, but still can get the dog to stop barking for a while. Of course, the dogs apply themselves to the test of taste, but do not like the device. As soon as a dog starts barking, the device emits a high-pitched sound that only the pets can hear with the device or stops the vibration of the neckband. The dog can then get used to any sound and vibration that it hears and feels because his own barking drowns out the intolerance.
22. Dog Bark Collar
- No need to remove collar to charge
- Very effective in training
- Can only be used when in training mode
- Very reliable, used daily for walks
- Less expensive than other brands
- Great customer service
- Only works if the collar is expanded and tight
- No manual handle for, off and on
- Open button should have a cover
My dog bark collar reviews include this model because it has been the best one so far for us. Even though it seems to be a bit on the expensive side, it is very affordable compared to other brands of the same quality. T
His collar works with the simple touch of a button. The off, on and training modes are located on one button and it is a touch of the button depending on what mode you want to use. This is a completely waterproof collar which is good for long walks in the rain. I’ve had it 4 months and I can say I am pleased with my purchase. This collar is very reliable and safe. As all dog owners know, no training collar is easy to use but we have gotten used to this and it’s easy for us now.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog training collar?
In general, the best training collar will depend on what training techniques you’ll be using to teach your dog. If you’re using behavioral techniques, that may mean you’ll want a remote training collar, whereas if you’re using obedience training, that may mean you’ll want a more traditional e-collar.
In our opinion, if you don’t yet have a specific training method in mind, but you want something that’s adjustable, will likely work for many years, and will be in the long-term best interest of your dog, then a general-purpose collar such as the Dogtra YS300 would be a great choice. Using this collar, you can start to implement any of the various training methods if and when you choose.
Which dog training method is best?
The truth is that it really depends on the dog and situation. For instance, an older dog who is more set in his or her ways will struggle to be successful with remote training while a younger dog will be flexible and more willing to learn.
Bottom line is that you'll want to choose the training method that best fits your dog. If you're trying to reinforce a command you taught with positive reinforcement, then an electric collar might be the best option. Alternatively, if you're looking for a training aid for a very young and uneducated dog, you might want to choose a whistle or halter instead.
The one thing to keep in mind is that reinforcement is key. So, you'll want to only use the training aid you choose when the dog deserves it. Discriminate and use the training aid only when the dog deserves it for a bad behavior. Don't use or allow anyone else to use a training aid when the dog is good or behaves.
What is the best e collar?
There are a lot of options on the market, but here we recommend as the best e collar Dogtra 1900NCP. The Dogtra 1900NCP neck collar is waterproof. You can even submerge it up to 25 feet. It’s also very ergonomic. It’s made from high-quality and durable nylon. It features four different strengths and adjustable levels.
Furthermore, the Dogtra 1900NCP is a no-bark e-collar so you can direct stimulation toward areas that produce positive results, such as shaking or scratching, and away from areas that produce no results, such as panting or grunting. And of course, you can also use it as a regular e-collar if your dog only barks when you’re not around.
Do dog trainers recommend shock collars?
The answer is yes. There are probably plenty of dog trainers who do not recommend training collars to dog owners. But highly qualified, professional dog trainers can easily identify the major issue between a dog owner who is desperate to train their dog and one who uses the right approach. It’s not the dog in most cases, but the way they’re being handled. You can avoid using shock collars or any training collar if you can establish proper communication and understanding with your dog. However, if you do decide to use one, and you do find it necessary, it’s really up to you to decide. There are certain shock collars that come with an automatic shut off feature that only work when you are holding the controller. This can save you from accidentally shocking your dog. If you choose to go ahead and buy a shock collar, always consider your dog’s health and safety.
This is probably my favorite criteria to use for selecting a dog training collar because dogs aren’t like us humans. They don’t understand things like social norms and they really don’t appreciate being out of control. A good dog training collar is one that will earn the dog’s trust when it’s used.
Not only are these collars a bit cheaper than others, but they’re simple in design and are easy to take along with you because of their lightweight. Due to their simplicity, finding replacement batteries won’t break the bank.
|Dog Training Collar||Best Overall|
|PetSpy M86N Dog Training Shock Collar||Budget Pick|
|Dogtra 1900S E Collar Training||Upgrade Pick|