Not every dog is built in the same way. Some breeds are taller, leaner, sturdier, or have longer snouts than others. If you’re in the market for a new harness for your dog, you likely want something that will fit perfectly.
Our guide will take you through all of the factors to consider when it comes to picking the perfect dog harness.
Some dog breeders recommend that some dogs should not wear harnesses at all, while others say they should wear them in conjunction with a collar at all times. Whatever the case, let’s dive in.
We’ll take a look at some of the top harnesses on the market and explain which ones are the best for each situation.
|WINSEE Dog Harness No Pull||Best Overall|
|RYPET Small Dog Harness and Leash Set||Budget Pick|
|RUFFWEAR, Front Range Dog Harness||Upgrade Pick|
1. WINSEE Dog Harness No Pull
- Comfortable and adjustable
- Breathable material
- Great value for the price
The WINSEE dog harness comes in an army green and a reflective black and is a great option for bigger dogs. It can be used as a walking or training harness.
It has a 2-in-1 design that gives you the option to either use the well-made handle or the front/back clip leash. The handle, in particular, is equipped with a comfort-padded, anti-slip material so that you can control your dog easily.
The handle can be folded and you can hang the harness on a hook when not in use. The max weight of dogs that the harness is suitable for is 50 pounds and it fits necks that are 22 to 26 inches in circumference.
2. Voyager Step-in Air Dog Harness
- Manufactured by a trusted and reliable brand that specializes in equipment for dogs
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Adjustably padded chest plate
- Quick and simple to put on and take off
- Durable, convenient, and secure quick release buckles
- Heavy and bulky
- Does not come with a fitting chart
- The D-ring handle can be tough for some dogs to handle
First and foremost, I picked this product from Best Pet Supplies that I’m about to show you because it’s one of the most popular models on the market for dog vests. Add to that the great number of positive reviews that this harness has and the rock solid reputation of this brand when it comes to outdoor products and you have a pretty solid choice. Another thing that makes this product stand out is the fact that it comes in nineteen different colors.
3. Petacc Dog Harness No-Pull Pet Harness Adjustable Pet Reflective Vest Dog Walking Harness
Morpheus is the darker and more silent of the two and has sharpened smelling abilities. Despite the fact that he relies on his sense of smell, he’s very skilled in arts, which probably comes from being able to like the senses. He’s a part of the Elder Council.
Trinity is a more “talkative” type, very much in contrast with her husband. So much so that she even goes to the extent to show physical affection to her husband. Trinity sits on the Balance of Judgment, where she contributes to the maintenance of the scales of justice and the weighing of souls.
Neo is the youngest of the three. He has a good heart and is friendly to all machines. He is a good listener and often puts others before himself.
4. rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- The Package Comes With Matching Leash
- Perfectly Fits Most Dogs
- Plenty of Pros to Choose From
- Very Easy to Use
- Some People Have Complained About the Velcro Stitching Coming Apart
- The Plastic Buckle Could Be a Bit More Stronger
- The Harness is Not Good for Winter, Dogs That Shed or Dogs with Allergies
The Rabbitgoo dog harness is an adjustable and comfortable harness vest for dogs with a soft padded interior and a safety lock on the vest buckle. You can put the dog harness on your pet quite easily by clipping the lock to the D-ring.
If you want your dog to wear the harness vest regularly, you can easily remove the safety lock to make it easier for your dog to wear on a daily basis.
The vest comes with two leash clips that have been tested to hold over 80 lbs of weight. The leash clips are also great for attaching accessories which include bags and a water bottle for your dog.
5. ANWA Dog Walking Harness No Pull
- Easy to put on and take off
- Unlike chokes, shock, and prong collars, there’s not that whole ‘dominance theory’ thing going
- 90-day money back guarantee
- Quick Disconnect design – no hassle
- Quickly change its size to fit your pet
- Heavy duty material for all-weather use
- Lifetime Warranty
Anwa Dog Walking Harness No Pull is without a doubt the best dog harness you can find today in terms of value, quality, and results.
While most of the dog owners prefer to put their dogs on choke, shock, and prong collars, they often overlook the fact those kinds of pet products can cause great harm to them.
The Anwa Dog Harness is designed to control and train your dog without choking, straining, or injuring it in any manner. It has adjustable straps and it comes in a variety of colors and sizes for large, medium, and small sized dogs.
6. Chai's Choice Best Outdoor Adventure Dog Harness. 3M Reflective Vest
- Two leash attachments to prevent pulling
- Reflective Leash Available
- Quality Material
- Watertight Zipper
- Adjustable Straps
- Easy To Use
- Monkey Can See Reverse Image
- Unisex Harness
- Maximum Comfort
All-Terrain Dog Vest Harness. Watertight Zipper Built-in Pet Leash
If you and your pet love to spend time together out in the open, then you could both benefit from a vest harness. The Chai's Choice Best Outdoor Adventure Vest Harness’s four points of adjustment give you a custom fit for your dog. The vest is also ideal for smaller animals like cats and rabbits.
7. ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness
- Made of top-quality webbing
- The stitching is strong enough to resist considerable pulling pressure
- Durable hook and loop closures and D-rings
- Very secure and comfortable to your dog
- Easy to adjust
- Lot of extra padding in critical areas
- No hesitation, pulling or choking
- Some malfunctions have been reported in the design of the D-ring
- Straps are a tad long
The Icesfang Dog Harness is designed in a special way to get to the root of your dog’s pulling issues. It has a unique design utilizing a sturdy O-ring placed higher than traditional dog harnesses. This is to encourage your dog to stand and move in a more comfortable position. Meaning your dog will not have any neck discomfort, breathing issues, or back problems from the pulling forces.
As the O-ring is very high up, it eliminates practically all the contact with your dog’s diaphragm. Some people believe that this is an unsafe location for your dog’s leash attachment point. But it’s actually a better option as it keeps the pulling force from pulling too much on the dog’s neck.
8. BARKBAY No Pull Dog Harness Large Step in Reflective Dog Harness
- Easy step in harness
- Reflective material for when walking at night
- Easy front clip for a variety of control positions
- Comfortable and soft material
- Less control positions than girth belts
- Only suitable for dogs weighing more than 15 pounds
Out Door – Great for Medium and Large Dogs, Front, Back and Sides Control, Soft and Comfortable.
The BARKBAY No pull dog harness is a fantastic choice for active dog owners who wish to walk their dogs without physical force.
The harness is incredibly easy to put on and fit with an easy front clip, unique positioning of the control handle at the bottom of the harness, and a simple step-in form.
9. metric usa / Comfort Fit Pets No Pull Small Dog Harness Vest ● Easy to Put on & Take Off ● Soft Padded Interior & Exterior Puppy Harness ● Ensures Your Dog is Snug & Comfortable
- Made of high-quality materials
- Comfortable for the dog
● Perfect for Hiking, Jogging, Walks & More! – Black
The metric-usa Comfort Fit Pets No Pull Small Dog Harness is my top pick because it’s available at a fair price and the design is exactly what a modern dog owner is looking for. If you want to take your pet out for some fun, but don’t want to deal with a loose lead that can strangle them by accident, this product is perfect for you.
This harness comes with some useful features and some of these have been commented by lots of customers and all of them are happy that they got this product. One of the biggest features that talk about this item is the strong and durable material, but what you are really interested in is how it will fit. It’s actually a hassle to find the right size for your dog, but this one has a good fit no matter if your dog is a Labrador or a miniature poodle. There aren’t any unnecessary tags that can irritate your dog, so you are free from the worry.
10. Copatchy No Pull Reflective Adjustable Dog Harness
- Sturdy and strong
- Easy to adjust
- Soft and comfortable
This adjustable dog harness from Copatchy has a soft padded chest and belly with adjustable straps to make it as comfortable as possible and ensure maximum safety for your pet. It also has a handle that is perfect for carrying your dog or providing added support during walks.
It has a back clip for securing a leash and reflective fabric to ensure that you have maximum visibility when walking your dog at night to make it more visible to passing vehicles and pedestrians.
It comes in four size options to ensure that there is a perfect match for your dog and it is available in four colors – black, blue, red and grey.
11. Embark Adventure Dog Harness
- Comes in a wide variety of colors
- Made of high quality, nylon
- Adjustable to fit your dog well
- Bright and colorful for increased visibility
- Has a safety handle on the back
- Optional leash not included
Design, Good for Small and Medium Dogs.
This dog harness is great for small to medium dogs. It is designed for those who do not want their dog to pull when walking or learning orientation work.
The Dog harness is comprised of nylon and fiber mesh. It has a strap that comes across the body and connects at the chest and waist. The harness has a handle on the back to help control the dog.
12. SELMAI Puppy Cat Small Girl Dog Dots Vest Harness Leash Set Mesh Padded No Pull Lead
- 30-Day Full Refund
- Pet Hut Club Return Policy
- Excellent Service and Warranty Record
The Selmai line is well-known for producing high-quality, stylish pet products and the superior fantastic design, making them one of the best dog harnesses you can find online.
The breathable mesh material keeps your dog from getting too hot, but it also makes it highly visible; these harnesses are perfect for night walks.
The straps are made from high-end nylon, while the design prevents chafing and is easy to get on and off. It is also easy to clean, being both machine washable and waterproof.
13. BABYLTRL Big Dog Harness No Pull Adjustable Pet Reflective Oxford Soft Vest
- Highly adjustable – fits dogs from 25-120 lbs.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Configurable to your dog’s exact fit
- Made of 100% polyester and is machine washable
- Reflective material allows for better visibility at night
- Affordable price tag
- Not as strong as the plastic-coated harnesses
- Thin and doesn’t last very long
This harness from BabyDeLIRL is well loved by dog owners all over the world and consistently gets top marks from our readers in reviews.
The BabydeLIRL harness is ideal for dogs who pull and is recommended for dogs weighing 25 to 120 lbs. The adjustable fit and soft material also makes this a great harness for dogs with longer fur.
Besides the great fit, the flexibility of this harness allows people to remove and add layers very easily. Just un-clip the back buckle, and you can easily put a sweater on under this harness.
14. PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness,
- A heavy duty dog harness
- Perfect for pulling
Additional Loop Strap for Puppies Leash Training (Black).
The PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness is a heavy duty dog harness that comes with the following vital features.
This dog harness comes in 3 different sizes; XS, S, and L. These different harness sizes fit the following dog sizes;
15. RUFFWEAR, Front Range Dog Harness
- Available in 5 sizes: extra small, small, medium, large, x-large
- Is reflective
- Made with an ergonomic design
- Easy to put on
- Padded areas make it comfortable for your dog to wear
- Affordable price
- Available in black and grey
Ruffwear, as expected, has made an excellent dog harness. This harness is strong, comfortable, and provides you with an easy-to-use option for walking your dog. The padding makes this harness comfortable enough for your dog to walk in all day. Ruffwear's Front Range harness is made for dogs between 22-70 pounds. Available colors include black and grey.
This harness is made in the USA, this harness comes in sizes from extra-small to x-large. It's designed to reflect light and is made to be easy to put on with an ergonomic fit. This harness is reflective, machine-washable and made to be durable with a low-profile design. The Front Range harness is made to protect your dog's neck from chafing and is padded to make it comfortable to wear.
The harness is made to be strong, but is lightweight and breathable. The Front Range harness has a handle to help you pull your dog out of water and is compatible with a paw protection pad.
16. PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
- Comfy and Easy to Fit
- Safe and Sturdy
- Reflective material helps to keep your pup visible during nighttime walks
Breeds, Pets (Black Chest, XL).
I admit that I didn’t look into this factor fully prior to purchasing a harness for my pup. However, not until I discovered the importance of this feature. So here’s a quick tip: look for a harness that comes with a D Ring at the back!
The PoyPet Reflective Vest harness has this feature which means you can attach it to your pulling collar and use the front handle to give your pup a gentle tug without risking pulling his neck.
17. Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness
- Safe Top Strap
- Guarded Chest connection
Chest Girth: 18", Black, Blue
Here is our top pick for pet safety harnesses, as it easily attaches to seat belts and comes with an adjustable strap and buckled clip to secure your furry friend in place.
It’s comfortable on your pet – no pressure — and it’s totally safe. It can also be adjusted according to dog size.
18. juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness .Best Reflective No Pull Harness
- Available in small, medium, and large for dogs weighing 10-11lbs, 16-23lbs, 27-40lbs respectively
- A leash attaches to the chest strap for greater comfort and control
- The chest strap is adjustable
- Removable chest strap for easy washing
- Durable nylon materials for long lasting use
- Reflective fabric for safe walking even at night
- Fully adjustable
- Available in black, pink, and brown
The Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness is one of the best harnesses considering the price-to-value ratio. It comes in a range of sizes and four different colors – black, red, pink, and brown.
This harness has many great features for new dog owners and older ones alike. The Truelove harness is available in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, and 14 sizes to accommodate almost any dog breed and size. This unique design puts pressure on the chest, rather than the neck, so your dog can enjoy a more pleasant walk.
19. EcoBark Classic Dog Harness Soft Gentle No Pull & No Choke Dog Harnesses Double Padded Halter Ultra Cushioned Walking Breathable Mesh Dog Vest
EcoBark No Pull Dog Harness is a lightweight no pull harness, great for dogs and puppies of all breeds. No matter you are training your small dog or your big dog during walking and training.
EcoBark dog harness for small/medium/large dogs and puppies is designed with the ergonomic soft design, it is comfortable for your dog wear it. The breathable mesh fabric stimulates proper ventilation and temperature with the velcro closure design play an an important role in the safety of the harness.
The Latest Reviews of Dog Safe Toys 2019: Top-Rated & Best Dog Toys on Amazon.
20. SlowTon Dog Car Harness Plus Connector Strap
- Firmly holds your dog in place while driving
- Car seat belt loop with auto lock-hook connector
- Comes with safety test restraint
The SlowTon Dog Car Harness is designed to facilitate easy car travel with your dog by attaching it to the car seat belt. My research shows that it does just that, but there are two things you should know before buying.
First, it’s important to size the harness correctly so the clip (which attaches to the safety belt) can stay put. The installation instructions are very detailed on this.
Second, it’s important to note that the vest style is over-dressy for many dogs. But, if your dog is a fan, he’ll look great.
21. Bolux Dog Harness
- 4-point adjustable
- Comfortable and breathable
- Super easy to put on
- Top quality material
- A little pricey
- Might be too small for large dogs
Bolux Dog Harness is one of the best and most comfortable harnesses (if not the best) you can buy for your pup. And the good news is that they offer it at a reasonable price.
This dog harness is designed to stop pulling and choking, which is one of the most popular problems among dog owners.
The main benefit of this harness is the fact that it doesn’t put stress on your dog’s neck. Rather than pulling on their neck, this harness tightens over their chest, which feels way better for your canine friend and eliminates discomfort caused by pressure around their neck, where the collar bone resides. It’s one of the best dog harnesses you can buy.
22. RYPET Small Dog Harness and Leash Set
- Easy To Adjust
- Fits Perfectly
- Very Secure
- The Leash Is Short
- The Top Part Doesn’t Look That Great
This dog harness is perfect for pets from 7 to 16 pounds. It is very easy to adjust so you will not have any problems. You will be able to make it the right size in just a few seconds.
As a bonus, the straps are very long which allow you to put a leash on it without adjusting the harness. The price is very affordable so if you are just starting to walk your dog that is a great choice.
Your dog will not have any problems with this harness as it is very comfortable and soft. It is made from breathable mesh nylon which is very durable.
23. Dog Harness
- Comfortable for your dog
- Sturdy and durable
- Great for pulling
- Very firm
- No handle in front
It features an efficient outlook and design which is perfect for dogs that enjoy a long leisurely walk outdoors in addition to your regular dog walks.
This product comes with a guarantee which is of great confidence that the product will offer multiple years of service to dog owners.
Do not hesitate to try it out, it performs very well and is of high quality and its price tag is reasonable too considering the fact that it will allow owners to modify dog walking altogether at the comfort of your home.
24. PUPTECK Soft Mesh Small Dog Harness
- Has a leash
- Perfect for small dogs
- Comfortable and easy to adjust
- Comes in a variety of colors with additional options for reflective bands and patches
- Easy to put on
- Comes with a leash that is well suited for small dogs
As much as we all love our furry companions, keeping them safe (and to a certain extent, in-line) has become a priority at many homes.
With that said, the pet parents have been turning to dog harnesses as a safe and effective way of keeping their pets in check.
And one of my picks for the best performing dog harness is the PUPTEK Soft Mesh Small Dog Harness.
25. Eagloo No Pull Dog and Cat Harness Set Walking Pet Harness
- Many colour options
- Five sizes for a variety of dog breeds
- Amazon Choice
- Removable shoulder pads
- Anti-restriction chest strap
- Made of thin nylon material
- Can get rub spots on your dog
This affordable pack is a great option for people with multiple dogs. When I used these for my own, I was impressed with the durability, even with my chewer. I’ve used other harnesses that fell apart quickly, but these held up.
The pack includes three identical harnesses, one in each size small, medium, large, so you can fit them to any dog you want. You can also use one on each dog, or use one on a cat!
The harness is made of nylon and is available in large, reflective lettering. The nylon is the cheapest material for harnesses, but it is lightweight and dries quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog harness on the market?
This largely depends on what your needs are. Without a doubt, the Stunt Puppy 3 in 1 harness is a top contender — and our boot pick.
It’s internally adjustable, meaning it adjusts from the inside. It also can be used as both a walking and climbing harness. Convenient for any dog owner!
The second best dog harness is the Ruffwear Web Master. It’s also a top pick, and favored by many dog owners for its impressive versatility. See all our top recommendations below.
You can also check out our article on the top 5 best dog harnesses of 2019.
What are the best dog harnesses for large dogs?
Large dogs can be difficult to walk, but with a harness you can quickly and easily train them to become excellent walkers. With the proper equipment, you can transform a large dog that pulls on your arm into a dog that walks politely next to you.
Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What is the best puppy harness?
When it comes to harnesses, there's not one best option for dogs, but there are several guidelines to consider when making a selection.
Fits your dog's body comfortably, and you can adjust the girth length to fit your dog's body as well.
Include a handle so you can remove your dog from dangerous situations.
Are harnesses better than collars for dogs?
It depends on the dog. For cats, collars are much better.
You can use a harness on a dog, but it depends on how you want to use it. Most dogs are fine with collars. But there is a technique to use a harness properly.
A harness is very useful for, say, agility and protection training. In such cases, the dog needs to be able to turn around several times to work the task instead of staying in a straight line.
If your problem is that you need to attach a leash to your dog and that leash is long, then the harness can be the better option.
In such cases, if the dog is rushing ahead for example, then the harness will stop the dog from going further.
A harness is also better than a collar if you want to attach a leash to the dog, so that you have your hands free.
Choosing the right dog harness is essential for training and safety reasons, but it is also important to choose one that is right for your dog. Smaller and skinnier dogs may not be comfortable in a harness that was designed for a much larger dog.
The top harnesses for dogs available in a range of styles and prices. You can even find an ergonomic dog harness that will reduce the stress on your little pet. Whether you’re searching for a woven dog harness, one with a leash, or even a leather dog harness, our list of the best dog harnesses includes a wide variety of examples.
|WINSEE Dog Harness No Pull||Best Overall|
|RYPET Small Dog Harness and Leash Set||Budget Pick|
|RUFFWEAR, Front Range Dog Harness||Upgrade Pick|