Have you ever experienced a dog ear infection? A condition known as otitis, it is very commonly seen in dogs and can be quite painful.
While dogs can get ear infections from a variety of reasons, they are commonly caused by irritation of foreign objects — like grass seeds, allergens, mites, molds, and fungi — and can often be a symptom of a chronic underlying condition.
If you want to find out how to help your dog with an ear infection, read on.
Download this guide — it’s free.
|ZYMOX Ear Solution||Best Overall|
|Vet's Best Dog Ear Relief Wash||Budget Pick|
|Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution||Upgrade Pick|
1. ZYMOX Ear Solution
- Quickly Cleans Sensitive Ears
- 100% Natural Formula
- Effective Against Bugs, Ear Mites, Dirt, Flakes, And Odor
- Particularly useful In Reducing Slight Discharge And Scratchiness
This item is great for general ear cleaning of small to medium sized dogs. It seems to work fine for most people, but if you have a larger dog or think the solution is too runny, you might want to try the Vet-A-Pet Ear Cleaner instead.
If the above dog ear cleaner doesn’t work for you or your pet, you might want to try Vet-A-Pet Ear Wash. It contains a much smaller amount of alcohol, so you can use it to clean your pet’s ears on a more regular basis between vet visits.
2. Aurocin cm Ear Cleanser w/Aloe
- Non-irritating and non-sensitizing
- Made with safe and natural ingredients
Choosing the top dog ear cleaner is a difficult task, especially if the ear cleaners you’ve tried before either didn’t work well, or caused your dog pain.
While I’m not going to delve into the science behind if and for how long you should clean your dog’s ear, I’d like to sum it up by saying that household cleaners, for example, and alcohol can be bad for your dog’s ears, while some other natural ingredients can be far better.
The Aurocin cm Dog ear cleanser is a product that uses natural ingredients to clean and hydrate your dog’s ears.
3. ZYMOX Pet King Brand Otic Pet Ear Treatment
- Discounts and Promotions Available
- Made in the U.S.A
- Fast and easy to use
- Treats infection, itching, and water build up
And Antibiotics, 3.5 ounces
Founded in 1994, Zymox is a family owned business, which is proud of creating premium products with high quality standards. First they came up with Salenas, dog sore fighting spray to prevent itchy bottoms on dogs. This product was a great success, which lead to other products, like Zymox, the otic pet ear treatment that endeared Zymox to thousands of pet owners all over the U.S.
This specific product is a medicated ear cleaner for dogs. The formulation consists of hydrocortisone, which relieves itching, and antibiotics to fight infection. The intended use of the product is to clean the dog’s ear and provide relief from itching, inflammation, and water build up. Hydrocortisone and sodium chloride, the main ingredients in the formula, act fast on those problems. By killing and preventing bacteria growth, the product keeps dogs’ and cats’ ears healthy.
4. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser
- Cleans and conditions the ears
- No harsh chemicals
- Ships same day
- Great for dogs with chronic ear infections
- Taste to some dogs
- May turn to ear to watery
- Less effective if dog won’t keep ear still
The Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser is a liquid formula that’s used to treat yeast, bacterial, and some fungal ear infections. It’s also is a fantastic ear cleaner to clean and condition the ears of dogs.
It can be used as a solution for dogs who suffer from recurrent ear infections, a common condition that's hard to prevent since the ears are always damp and therefore more prone to overgrowth of bacteria and yeast.
With this ear cleaner, your dog will have a healthy, strong immune system; also, it goes deep into the ear canal to loosen dirt and improve overall health. Furthermore, this cleaner removes excess cerumen and softens the ear canal so it’s easier for your dog to shake his head and remove dirt, excess cerumen, and other stuff that can get stashed into the ear!
5. Vet Organics Dog Ear Cleaner. Natural Multi-Symptom Formula.
- Features 5 Different Causes of Infection
- Comes With 10‖15 Days Supply Of Treatment
- Has A Natural Ingredients List
- Will Not Have Any Side Effects On Your Dog
- Is Very Costly
- Needs to be Applied Twice a Day
If you love spending time with your dog and you are in love with it, then you certainly need to make sure that they are as healthy as they can be. As much as you might love and cuddle with your beloved dog, there are times when they will certainly look very sick. Looking at their ears can sometimes make you look for the best ear cleaner for dogs 2020. This usually happens when they have hair growing around their ears or when they shake their head from time to time. Ear infections are caused by different reasons, and it can be quite difficult for you to pinpoint what is causing the infection. The best dog ear cleaner should however contain herbal ingredients that can help to dry the ear of your dog.
Something that will help to keep the ear dry is Vet Organics Dog Ear Cleaner which is made in the USA and is a product that that comes with plenty of benefits:
- Is Very Costly
- Needs to be Applied Twice a Day
6. Pet MD
- Made without alcohol which can irritate tender ears
- Cheap and available at any pet store
- Easy to use … just wipe and clean dog ears and you’re done!
- Contains aloe and eucalyptus to calm down your dog’s itching
Your dog is constantly in contact with numerous different things like grass, mud, leaves, dirt, and so on. Clean ears are necessary to ensuring that your dog’s ears are healthy.
Pet MD’s Otic Cleanser contains natural ingredients to fight off dirt and ear mites, including salt, aloe, eucalyptus, and peppermint oil.
This product has been designed using pharmaceutical grade ingredients to clean and soothe your dog’s ears. Because it contains no alcohol, it won’t cause your dog’s ear skin to dry. Also, because it’s quick and easy to use, you can use these wipes to clean your dog’s ears daily.
7. Project Paws Dogs Ear Wipes
- Vegan, non toxic, cruelty free
- Safe for humans and dogs
- Has a soothing smell and aloe and eucalyptus
- Easy to use
- No need to rinse
- 100 wipes
- Ear cleaning wipes are hypoallergenic
- Great for dogs with allergies and those with sensitive skin
- Dogs with ear mites, yeast, and ear infections will benefit from these dog ear wipes
- Safe to use on dogs under 12 weeks old
- Some dogs may not like the wipes.
Dog ear cleaners and ear wipes are popular with pet owners. Some dogs don't like ear cleaners being inserted into their ears. Other dogs might get sick from the chemicals and bacteria in ear cleaners.
These dog ear wipes do not need to be rinsed. They have natural aloe and eucalyptus oil that is safe for humans and dogs if they get in their mouth from licking their ears, but the wipes are made for cleaning ears.
This set comes with 100 towels. Dogs with ear mites, allergies, and ear infections will especially benefit from using these wipes.
8. VetWELL Dog Ear Wipes
- Available for all dog breeds and puppies
- Easier to use than cotton swabs
- Medicated cleaning wipes
- Strictly for dogs
- Not suitable for use on cats
Ear Cleansing to Reduce Ear Infection, Ear Mites, Ear Yeast & Dog Ear Odor Control for Beagle, Boxer, Boston Terrier, Pitbull, Schnauzer, Poodle, Schnoodle, Jack Russell, Yorkshire Terrier and more.
While I love my dog very much I’m not always comfortable touching his ears. I’m sure that you understand the feeling … if you do then you’ll love this pack of VetWELL’ ears cleaning wipes.
These wipes are highly rated with over 300 customer reviews. The product promises to kill all kinds of mites, bacteria, fungal bacteria, and viruses present in your dog’s ears.
- Good for ear mites, irritation, and infections
- Affordable price tag
- Suitable for dogs and cats
- Reasonably sized packaging
- Very soft so it doesn’t irritate dogs’ ear canals
- Washes away easily
- Not as strong of a smell as some other ear cleaners
- Incredibly easy to apply, but can also be easy to over apply
- May not be strong enough to get rid of very bad ear infections
- Some customer said they had to use it a few times before it had an effect
- Doesn’t come in a resealable bag
10. Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution
- Fast & Effective
- Veterinarian Recommended and Trusted Brand
- Easy To Use
- Natural & Herbal Ingredients
- Good For Furry Dogs
Zymox is a trusted brand of dog ear cleaner with more than 10 million bottles sold. Customers report that Zymox has a good combination of being safe and effective for ear cleaning.
Zymox is a safe and effective solution to treat inflamed and itchy dog ears. It contains 1% Hydrocortisone, which is the exact percentage needed to treat mild ear irritation, but in a low concentration to prevent over-drying.
With Zymox Otic solution, your dog’s ears will experience faster healing time and less pain. You may not notice that your dog’s ear infection is gone until he stops shaking his head and stops scratching.
11. Dechra MalAcetic Otic Cleanser
The Dechra MalAcetic Otic Cleanser is a right product if your dog is suffering from infection, itching, and inflammation of the ear canal and ear drum. It removes the excess oil, pus, and the excessive hair in the ear canal. It also safeguards the sensitive and delicate ears from other infections.
It exfoliates the ear bump using the malic acid. It also removes the bacterial growth and soothes the inflamed ears. The bacteria will not be able to continue the reproduction after using this product since it has a very unique pH.
12. Bodhi Dog Ear Cleaner Solution
- Does a great job cleaning earwax and wax buildup
- Powerful and effective natural antibacterial components
21 Reasons why it's a great buy:
13. TrizULTRA + Keto Flush
- Does What It Promises – Cleans and Reduces Ear Wax
- Helps Avoid Ear Infections and Also Helps Your Dog’s Hearing
- Non-irritating & Safe For Dog
- Small Bottle
- Need To Be Consistent With Usage
This is a great product that you can use to clean your dog’s ears of gunk and excess wax. It’s safe and does what it promises. I’ve tried many ear cleaning products for dogs and wasn’t too impressed with any of them. This product is very different though. It worked almost instantly for my dog.
The reason I give this product a 4 star rating is the bottle is small and I tried it on different dogs and they didn’t all like the smell of it. This won’t work overnight so expect to keep using it to maintain healthier ears.
14. Curaseb Veterinary Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment
- Relief from ear infections, infections from ear mites, yeast and fungus as well as bacteria.
- Considerate for use on both dogs and cats safely.
- Advanced delivery system to get rid of ear infections quickly.
- Contains Selamectin, a medication that helps stop the growth of ear mites and fleas.
- One bottle can provide 6 weeks treatment for serious infections from different ear mites, yeast and fungus.
- Safe, effective and convenient. No other side effects.
- Conditions ears, relieves itching and restores hair growth.
- This does not cure deafness, which people sometimes mistakenly blame on ear mites.
- Some dogs experience a minimal amount of discomfort during the early days of treatment.
The Curaseb Ear Treatment solution is one of the most powerful ear infection solutions available for dogs. It is an oral treatment for dogs that is made in such a way that it can treat infections in the ears, be it from ear mites, yeast, fungus or bacteria. It is also legit. It is not just some other fraud product. It is recommended by vets. It’s a broad spectrum veterinary formula that can treat infections that stem from different causes.
15. Pet MD Otic Clean Dog Ear Cleaner
- Removes excess dirt, wax and other debris
- Keeps ears smelling fresh
- Non-toxic formula best used cold and can be used under anesthesia
- Quick and convenient
- There is no way of diluting it enough, so it is most effective for cleaning the insides of the ear and not so for the outer ear
- You should not use it for more than two days in a row
What We Liked About Pet MD Otic Clean:
The Pet MD Otic Clean is a great dog ear cleaner that contains 3 active ingredients: benzalkonium chloride, salicylic acid and zinc oxide. While the first 2 ingredients are for cleansing and removing the excess dirt and other debris, the last one is an anti-inflammatory agent.
What We Did Not Like:
16. Seamus Otic Ear Solution
- Dermatologist recommended
- Great for dogs with long hair, as it comes in a spray bottle
- Non-toxic, alcohol-free
- Some difficulty using it
This dog ear cleaner is for dogs with regular to long hair that live in an environment where their ears may become dirty from hair or dirt.
The spray on all-natural formula is infused with essential oils, which is a great way to keep the inside of your pet’s ear healthy.
The formula cleans plugging wax, debris, and some forms of infection which makes it a great cleaner to use as your dog’s ear stays healthy. Good ear health is important for your dog as it is where they get a lot of their information about the world.
17. VetWELL Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner
- A must for your dog or cat
- Easy and effective to use
- Makes your pet look and smell better
- Helps to prevent ear infections
- Safe to use; no caustic chemicals present
- Easy to use and safe to administer daily
- May burn your dog’s or cat’s ears if water is too hot
- Ingredients may not be the best for dogs prone to ear infections
Albeit I know nothing ‡bout the science behind this, I’ve heard through the grapevine that the best way to clean your dog’s or cat’s ears is with a solution of vinegar and water. This way you not only clean your pet’s ears, but also keep them protected from infections.
An ear infection in dogs can result in a plethora of things: ear pain, redness, discharge, and an increased propensity to itch. None of these are good. They can be caused by foreign substances being introduced to the ear canal, which your dog or cat will most likely introduce into your home on his or her fur.
18. Doggie Dailies Pet Ear Cleaner
- Tea tree oil cleans your dog’s ears
- Soothing Aloe soothes and reduces redness
- Removes wax and debris
- Reduces odor
- Maintains clean ears
- Vet formula
- A bit more expensive than other ear cleaners
- Doesn’t reduce excessive ear wax build-up
Doggie Dailies pet ear cleaner works to remove wax and debris from your dog’s ears. Tea tree oil and aloe reduce odor and redness, so your dog is comfortable.
This pet ear cleaner is pH balanced for your pet’s delicate skin and is made in the USA. It’s also non-toxic and cruelty free.
19. Vet's Best Dog Ear Relief Wash
- Hydrating and soothing for dogs with itchy ears
- Effective pain relief
- 100% All Natural Ingredients
- Does not relieve external ear infections
- The smell may not be pleasant to some ears
What do you get when you combine the natural, soothing powers of naturally derived Aloe Vera Gel and organic plant oils with soothing homeopathic compounds? You get a dog ear wash, that’s what. If you’re looking for an ear wash that can help relieve itching and serve as a painkiller, this is a great choice.
A lot of dog ear cleansers are alcohol-based, which can really dry out and irritate your dog’s delicate ears. Vet’s Best uses a gentle formula with 100% natural ingredients, and it contains no alcohol at all.
This non-toxic formula is completely free of parabens as well as Dyes, grease, sulfates or silicones. Instead, it’s made with completely natural ingredients, including Aloe Vera Gel to hydrate the delicate skin of the ear canals.
20. Mister Ben's Original Ear Cleaner
- Good value for the money
- No rubber smell
Our top pick, Mister Ben's Original Ear Cleaner for Dogs Care Kit is the go-to solution for general ear hygiene. The product consists of a bottle of the original formula and a bottle of the Tonic to be used in two separate steps.
The ear cleaners are applied using a hypo-allergenic applicator right into the ear. You can push the cream or liquid gently down to the back of the ear canal using the provided pusher.
The cleaners shouldn't be left in for longer than a few minutes. I would recommend leaving in for no longer than 5-10 minutes. I know it can be tough but remember, dogs are very sensitive to smells.
21. Cat & Dog Ear Cleaner Solution
- Safe and effective for most of your furry friends
- There’s no smell so you don’t have to worry about air fresheners or other sleep disruptors
- It’s easy to apply in just two steps – add water and apply to the ears
- The artificial pain reliever works wonders for meowing and scratching
- Many customers report this product is suitable for animals with sensitive skin or ears that are prone to infections
- Since this is a safe 100% veterinary product, you don’t have to worry about any side effects
- Some customers have a problem with the spraying mechanism
- A bottle can last you for 6 months at most, so make sure you do your budgeting first
- It’s a chemical odor neutralizer, which is a bit harsh for some animals
- Larger dogs may need to take breaks in between applications
Cat and dog ear cleaner solution for otitis externa is available in a handy plastic bottle that’s easy to handle.
The hydrogen peroxide content in the formula helps to disinfect the ears and removes the fungus.
The solution also contains other ingredients, which address the itching caused by ear infections and excessive buildup of wax.
22. PPP Pet Aroma Care 100 Count Ear Wipes
- Highly effective
- Non-toxic, non-irritating, non-sensitizing, and alcohol free
- Good price
- Bottle design makes it very flimsy
- Spring cap shows lack of engineering
Pet Ear Care, 100 Count Ear Wipes comes highly rated, seeing as there are nearly 4,000 reviews online. PPP Pet Ear Wipes are made from high caliber aloe, rose extract, tea tree, and other delicate ingredients.
The wipes themselves are infused with a refreshing essential oil a dog can smell and find comforting. They eliminate dirt, debris, and wax from inside your dog’s ears while healing and eliminating infection.
Pet Ear Care is the perfect wipe for cleaning your dog’s ears, and the fragrance they leave behind is wonderful, too. Your dog’s ears will be left fresh and clean to help ward off infection.
23. Liquid Health
If you want to keep your dog healthy and most importantly, ears funk-free, then you have to clean them regularly. The good news is that you don’t have to go the vet to make that happen.
The best way to clean your dog's ears is to use the Liquid Health for Animals K9 Ear Solutions. It's a completely natural and safe product that cleans earwax and dirt from your pet's ears.
While this is a very effective and gentle solution for cleaning your dog's ears, it's important to keep in mind that the product is a bit costly. Plus, your pet will have to sit still for a few minutes for the cleaning solution to work its magic.
24. Vetoquinol Ear Cleansing Solution
- Very fast acting
- Painless to use
This is some great ear cleaning solution for your dog. If your dog has problems with their ears this is a quick and painless way to clean out the dirty and clean, plus it helps to remove the wax and irritations inside the ear to relieve any discomfort your dog might feel.
This is something that should be done at least once a week to keep your dog's ears healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog ear cleaning solution?
The Dog Ear is a complete and natural solution to help dogs with various ear problems. Dog Ear cleaning solution is made from a special blend of natural and organic ingredients like olive oil, Aloe Vera, chamomile, and rosemary extract. It helps reduce inflammation and itching and prevents infection.
Can I use wet wipes to clean my dog's ears?
Made with gentle ingredients such as aloe, these wipes are great for cleaning your pet’s ears. Some of them even contain tea tree oil, which will help Fight infection and keep your dog free from any parasites.
Some dog parents also use baby wipes for their puppies. They are usually not as effective at removing dirt and cleaning the ears, but they are much gentler. Baby wipes are not, however, suitable for all dogs. On the plus side, they are usually very cheap and easy to find.
Cotton balls can also be used if you don’t have any washcloths or Q-tips. You can also buy a special dog ear cleaning solution that you can use to clean the ears. These solutions are often made specifically for dogs to ensure a gentle cleaning.
Should hair be removed from dogs ears?
There are two different types of wax in dogs’ ears. Ceruminous wax, which is the same wax as the wax you have in yours and the wax exuded by your ear when it’s infected. Then there’s the waxy secretion made by the Ceruminous gland. Most veterinarians recommend cleaning dog’s ears once to twice a month to remove the excess exuded wax.
Some dog breeds have hair in their ears, excessive hair can serve as a medium for the growth of bacteria, and this hair can stick to the wax within the ears. So if your dog has shorter hair and you use an ear cleaner that is formulated with a dissolvable agent, it will be sufficient to clean the outside of the ear.
What is a good solution to clean dog's ears?
To clean your dog's ears, you can buy a specific dog ear cleaner or make one yourself. Simply buy an ear cleanser, put a few drops in your dog's ears, and then massage the ear. The ear should then be wiped with a cotton ball or cloth. Repeat the process with the other ear.
There are many options when it comes to finding the best dog ear cleaners. Just how many choices do you have? According to our research, the best dog ear cleaners are usually the ones that have one of the following characteristics:
- Anti microbial properties for dealing with the nastier types of ear fungus
- Ingredients that can help prevent itching and inflammation
- Ingredients to help stop redness and pain
- Natural ingredients for sensitive dogs
|ZYMOX Ear Solution||Best Overall|
|Vet's Best Dog Ear Relief Wash||Budget Pick|
|Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution||Upgrade Pick|