A great chew helps to keep teeth and gums clean. It gives your dog something to do. It keeps them entertained.
What’s more, a good chew may just be one of the most important tools you can have for maintaining your dog’s oral health.
Of course, it’s important to find a chew that’s good for your dog. The last thing you want is your dog to have a bad reaction to the product, or for it to break up poorly during chewing.
Luckily, we’ve done the legwork for you with our list of the best dog dental chews.
|Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats||Best Overall|
|N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring Chicken Chew Treat||Budget Pick|
|GREENIES Grain Free Natural Dental Dog Treats||Upgrade Pick|
1. Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats
- * Over A Million Sold Every Year * Here’s A Dog Owner Testimonial: “Helped clean her teeth and she still loves the taste!” * Comes With A Money Back Guarantee * Cheaper Than Other Dental Treats * Top-notch Ingredients * Not Allowed In Pet Food And Treats
Another dog brand on my list is Greenies, one of the best pet brand in the market today. In terms of reviews, it’s rated 4.5 out of 5 stars with over a million positive reviews. Why? Well, the real question is why not? Greenies is a great brand that has taken dog and cat dental care to a whole new level thanks to its original dental chew treats. Greenies has been a trusted brand in the local pet industry for years thanks to its natural ingredients made from plants and other ingredients that dogs will surely love.
2. Checkups- Dental Dog Treats
- Good for dental hygiene
- Easy to digest
- Aids in digestive support
The Checkups dental chew is the top choice that will actively combat plaque and tarter build-up in the dental area. Used once or twice a week along with a proper home care routine can give your dog teeth that will sparkle.
Use these chews after meal time and after a great chew session to get a gleaming smile that will impress everyone.
If you’re looking for the best dog dental chews, then this is an ideal choice. It’s made from all natural ingredients including vegetables, fruits and minerals. The fiber in these chews help control the movement of waste through the colon and digestive track.
3. GREENIES Original Large Dog Natural Dental Treats
4. GREENIES ScaryBerry and Blueberry Natural Dental Dog Treats
- Available at 6 oz and 12 oz
- Available in both blueberry and scary berry flavors
- They’re tiny so they’re easy to eat
Greenies are one of the most popular dog dental chews right now, and it’s no surprise why. They’re packed with proteins, good carbs, and vitamins that help keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy.
The patented, soft, tasty chews easily break up into smaller pieces that your dog can easily chew on, and they’re great for canines of all ages. Even better, these dental chews come in multiple flavors: berry blast, regular, strong mint, and green apple. Additionally, you can buy Greenies via subscription. This means that you’ll get a regular shipment of the chews, without having to restock or remember to buy regularly.
Greenies are made by Novitech, a Greenville, SC-based company that believes in creating safe, natural pet articles that benefit both you and your dog.
5. Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats
- The Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats are the best dog dental chews for teeth because they reduce a number of oral diseases and help with bad breath as well as plaque.
- A combination of chews and dental treats this dog dental chews are made with a crunchy texture which is great for cleaning and polishing the teeth during chewing.
- Our top pick helps reduce tartar, plaque and bad breath to keep your pets dental health as best as possible.
- This dog dental chew helps keep teeth clean and breath fresh especially if your dog doesn’t get enough dental care from a veterinarian.
6. GREENIES Grain Free Natural Dental Dog Treats
- Hypoallergenic formula is recommended for dogs with food sensitivities
- The anti-microbial properties keep your dog’s breath fresh
- The chewy texture helps fight plaque and tartar buildup
- Gives your dog a healthier gums and teeth
- A perfect treat for dogs with tartar or plaque buildup and no cavities
- Designed at a size that’s easy to chew
- Promotes your dog’s dental health
- Comes in a re-sealable bag
- The price can be expensive for some
- To prevent choking, always make sure your dog is done chewing these and has swallowed them
7. Purina DentaLife Oral Care Mini Adult Dog Treats
- Budget Friendly – Even Though The Flavor Is Great
- Unique Gripping Texture That’s Great For Massaging Pearly Whites
- Whitens Teeth Over Time
- Some Dogs Do Not Appreciate Them
- Available In One Flavor (Steak)
- Can Be Hard For Some Dogs To Break Apart
Purina DentaLife Oral Care Mini Adult Dog Treats are made with real beef for a delicious flavor. Each treat is specially designed to help reduce plaque and tartar build-up which helps to keep your dog's teeth white.
The tasty flavor also adds to its performance, as most dogs will appreciate the flavor.
A unique and patented crunching texture also helps massage teeth and gums in small and medium dogs. Thankfully, there are no added colors or flavor enhancers.
8. Pedigree DENTASTIX Adult & Puppy Toy/Small Treats
- Veterinarian Recommended
- Relieves Dental Caries (Cavities)
- Will entertain for hours
- Recommended by Vet and Dentists
- Easy to carry around
My top pick is the Pedigree Dental Chews for dogs, primarily because of how beneficial they are for your dogs’ health.
These chews come in different sizes to help with the growth of your dog, for example, there is a small sized chew for dogs that weigh 2-7lbs. A medium sized chew for dogs that weigh 8-12lbs, and a large sized chew for dogs that weigh 13-20lbs and bigger.
The larger the chew, the more calories and vitamins are available for your pet to digest and as a result of this, your dog will stay in shape and more healthy.
9. Whimzees Natural Grain Free Dental Dog Treats
- Chew safe
- Assorted combinations of flavors. Some flavors are chicken, pork, and beef.
- Grain Free
- A little expensive
- Can wear down teeth
Whimzees grain free dog treats are not only safe for your dog’s teeth but they are also tasty and safe for the dog to chew on.
These dog treats can aid in the prevention of digestive problems and softening of your dog’s stool.
10. Pedigree DENTASTIX Treats
- 30 Dental Treats
- Smaller Dental Treats For Smaller Dogs
Pedigree DENTASTIX is a multi-layered dental chew. While many of the treats on the market only feature one or two layers, Pedigree DENTASTIX features three layers – crunchy center that your dog will love, a soft, chewy outside layer, and a toothbrush scrubbing layer in between that scrubs away plaque and tartar as your dog chews.
The three layer design enables pedigrees DENTASTIX to tackle and remove plaque and tartar even in hard-to-reach places.
Also, DENTASTIX treats for large dogs are specifically designed to meet the dental needs of large breeds. The larger size of DENTASTIX treats ensures your dog will get the right dental care he or she needs.
11. Purina DentaLife Adult Large Dog Treats
- Excellent flavor and supplement content
- Made in the USA
- High in fat (linoleic acid/omega 6)
- Large in size
Dog dental chews are an essential part of your dog’s dental health routine. If your dog is a heavy chewer and loves to rip up toys, then you should get some of these as they will help massage and scrap away plaque and tartar buildup from your dog’s teeth, and also freshen their breath.
One of the best dog dental chews out there that’s worth a good look is Purina DentaLife which includes an excellent blend of flavors and essential minerals to help massage and remove plaque and tartar buildup.
These are great for dogs of all sizes and will help keep your dog’s teeth fresh, neat and clean, and (somewhat) squeaky clean. The chews are large in size, and the package recommends breaking them in half for smaller dogs.
12. GREENIES Fresh Natural Dental Dog Treats
- Fun shape
- Effectively removes tartar and plaque
- Works great as a snack, or as a treat after a brush
- Tough for dogs that don’t like textures
If you’re looking for a dental treat that actually combats the plaque and tartar that’s destroying your dog’s teeth, this is the one for you. The formula of the Greenies dental chew actually makes the plaque and tartar in your dog’s mouth dissolve and be flushed out, removing those harmful substances.
Greenies also adds wheat germ oil, which has been proven to slow tartar growth. It has a great smell and taste as well, your dog will be begging for more. You can give them as a snack to your best friend, or as a treat when you brush their teeth.
13. N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring Chicken Chew Treat
- Made in the U.S. with 100% all natural and chicken flavored rawhide
- Helps Puppy Train and Teeth For Healthy Gums
- Easy to chew on durable bones
- Cleaner, Easy and Convenient to use
- Doesn’t make a mess and always works when you need it to
- Only big enough for medium to small sized dogs
- Can be a bit hard to swallow if your dog is a bit picky eater
This product is a non-toxic alternative to plastic. The N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring Chicken Chew is made in the USA with 100% all natural rawhide chew toys and chicken flavored.
The toy is not only good for your dog teeth, but also helps puppy train and provide a healthy chewing experience. The N-Bone is easy to chew on and great for teething puppies that are easily bored and would love to have something to play with with.
You can even give this to your dog to have something to chew on whenever you are not home to keep them occupied, so they don’t chew on things they shouldn’t. This chew toy is made in the USA, so you know it is top of the line.
14. Nylabone Original Dura Chew Dog Chew
- Your dog needs to maintain its dental health properly to prevent and further dental issues
- Chews keep teeth and gums clean
- Yielding to their power bite
- Extra tough
- Can be a little too hard for dogs with sensitive teeth and gums
- Some dogs may have difficulty chewing them
- Owners may find that they have to buy these over and over.
The best dog dental chews are Nylabone Dogs. This company makes really good bones for dogs that help in maintaining the dental health of your dog.
The Nylabone Chews come in many sizes for different sized dogs. You can get the dog dental chews in sizes from 1.00 inch all the way up to 4.00 inches.
The Nylabone Dog Chews also come in several different flavors. You can get them with flavors like beef, chicken and fruit.
15. Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews
- Digestible and highly palatable
- Great for 2 dogs over 20 lbs
- Very Affordable
We chose Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs, our Best Dog Dental Chews that also have a nice price tag.
We usually add a little cheese or other tasty dry pet treats to their food, but sometimes it’s hard to get their teeth clean and they do start to smell. No matter once a month or maybe two times a month, we use these dog dental hygiene chews.
They say their teeth get cleaner and we believe them. Plus they smell a lot better too which is nice. We use these dog dental hygiene chews instead of a toothbrush for their teeth. Oravet’s dog dental hygiene chews are the best and we recommend them very highly for dogs that don’t mind the taste.
16. Benebone Maplestick/Bacon Stick Durable Dog Chew Toy
- Very durable
- Good for dogs that chew on hard toys
- Keep dogs busy for hours
- Their smell
Large, 90 Chew Toy (Natural).
Ever since Benebone hit the market, other bone-like dog chew toys have been trying to compete with this elite dog bone. However, we’re still sticking with Benebone.
If you’re looking for a chew toy that’s incredibly strong and durable, this is the one to go for – it’s guaranteed to keep your dog busy for hours.
17. Nylabone Twin Pack Power Chew Flavored Durable Dog Chew Toys
- Multiple packed chews
- Healthy for dogs' teeth
- High quality ingredients
- Best for puppies and smaller breeds
- No preservatives
- Available in chicken flavor
- Environmentally sustainable
- No BPA, phthalates or PVCs
- Available in different sizes and bulk packs
- Tasty and fun for dogs
The Nylabone Twin Pack Power Chew Toys is a product that is specifically made for dogs that are teething and need to chew on something. It’s a chew toy that is made to satisfy your dog’s natural urges to chew while also making sure that they don’t swallow a piece of the product.
This particular chew toy is flavored with chicken so it should be fun for your dog and they’ll enjoy chewing it with something other than your furniture. It’s also a better alternative than your shoes or lamp shades because the product is healthier for your dog’s teeth and you don’t have to worry about any pieces breaking off.
18. Nylabone Power Chew XL Dog Chew Toys
- Best dog dental chew for aggressive chewers
- Durable; virtually indestructible
- Great for powerful jaws
- Comes with different textures to satisfy all dogs
- Dishwasher safe
Nylabone is the best dog dental chew you can find. This company makes the strongest toys for the toughest dogs, which is why Nylabone makes a dog dental chew for dogs who are deeply obsessed with chewing and love playing with nylon toys.
My dog’s name is Thor and I had no choice but to introduce a good dog dental chew into her life. I had bought many toys for her and she surely tore them all apart, but when I got her the Nylabone Power Chew, I knew it was a match made in heaven.
All dogs chew things from time to time. In fact, it’s one of the most primitive ways to help your dog relieve stress and settle down. When your dog chews hard items, this action releases endorphins in the brain which leads to a mood boost.
19. Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew Dog Toy
- Dog approved
- Long lasting
- Helps prevent tooth decay and tarter
Nylabone is a premier choice in dog toys for a reason, and it’s not because the company spends millions on celebrity endorsements.
Nylabone’s tough, durable chew toys are the real deal. They’re designed to stand up to time, and they’re the same toys that veterinarians recommend to keep dogs busy, chewing, and out of trouble.
The Wishbone Power Chew is made from hard nylon and features three rows of bristles on the top for a fun texture that every dog seems to love. It’s incredibly durable. The special wishbone design is great for dogs that like to chew.
20. Get Naked Grain Free Puppy Health Dental Chew Sticks
- Completely homemade
- Contains safe natural ingredients
- Doesn’t contain any additives or ingredients of animal origin
- Can be used to for dogs of all ages and sizes
- For oral health maintenance only
- The flavor hasn’t changed over the years
- It’s both a grain- and gluten-free product
Dental sticks can contribute to the overall health of your dog just as much as the food you give them. These Get Naked puppy dental chews from Naked Pet Food are a good choice to have on hand, as they are completely natural and 100% homemade with no additives or animal-based products.
This combination of ingredients makes it a good choice if your pet is suffering from digestive problems, as these ingredients relieve the stomach and provide an overall calming effect.
21. Greenies Weight Management Dental Dog Treats
- Long-lasting finish
- Useful for weight management
- Great value for money
- Wide variety of flavours(other than beef)
- Provides good dental hygiene
- Easily digestible by dogs
- Some dogs may prefer the other flavours and not these
- Greenies are a bit pricey(lower quantity per bag)
Greenies could be the best dental dog treats if you are looking for weight management products for your dog. These treats are available in 2 different sizes:(XS2,S4,M5,L6,XL7) and in different flavours(6 flavours).
Greenies are small dental treats which treat the dogs' teeth. They are made of pure natural ingredients with vitamin C and calcium for better and healthier teeth. These treats are made for adult dogs and they are clinically proven to effectively clean the teeth of dogs, by reducing plaque and preventing the accumulation of tartar.
They are made of highly digestible ingredient to help increase the nutrients intake of the dog and to reduce the intake of calories to help in weight management.
22. VetIQ Minties Dog Dental Bone Treats
- Vet recommended
- 100% natural
- US made
- No artificial preservatives and flavors
- VetIQ full year money back guarantee
- The size may be too large for small dogs
- Chunks may disintegrate if the dog eats too quickly
The VetIQ Minties dog treats are the perfect treats to give to your dog for a healthy mouth and clean teeth. Made in the USA from ingredients sourced from all over the world, VetIQ makes sure that only the best wholesome ingredients make their way into these healthy treats.
The VetIQ Minty treats utilize the power of chamomile to promote good overall health in your dog. VetIQ also utilizes the natural power of parsley and mint, which help to freshen and clean the teeth with two daily treats.
What I love about VetIQ is their dedication to health and their dedication to making sure you get 100% of your money back if their product does not do what they claim it would.
23. Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats
- Contains no artificial flavors or colors
- Available in a variety of sizes and flavors
- Not as many positive Amazon reviews as other types
- Larger dogs need a larger treat
The Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats for Small and Medium-sized Dogs are some of the most popular dental chews for dogs available on Amazon today.
With over 12,000 reviews and an average rating of 4.5 stars, this product is extremely well received by dog owners.
24. Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews Daily Dental Dog Treats
- Good for large dogs as well as small
- Keeps breath fresh
- Easy to give
- Cheapest product in this niche
- Suitable for dogs of most sizes
- Helps prevent plaque and tartar buildup
- Beware of allergic reactions
- Available in only one flavor
- Entirely natural
- Easy to digest
- Recommended by vets
25. VetIQ Minties Dog Dental Bone Treats
- Small, petite size ideal for small dogs, puppies, and toys
- Smaller treats are perfect for training
- A variety of flavors which makes it more exciting for the dogs
- A longer texture which makes it great for cleaning dogs' teeth
- Made in USA
The VetIQ Minties Dental Bone for dogs has rave reviews on Amazon and is the top pick for many dog owners who are looking for a great way to make brushing your dog's teeth easy and fun.
These dental bones are made with all natural ingredients and are safe for dogs of all ages.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dental chew for dogs?
You’ll want to find dental dog chews that are made with a big grain count. Dog dental chews with big grain counts will slowly dissolve over time. The small grain count will dissolve too quickly and the "meat" content will be quickly gone without a lot of benefit. Chews with big grain counts are the best dental chews for dogs.
You also want to look for chews that are specially formulated for your dog. For example, fattier bones are great for small dogs as they don’t take a lot of chewing. Rawhide bones specifically designed for dogs, are great for dental care for dogs. Remember you'll need to replace these chews regularly as they will decrease in size over time.
Are dog dental chews effective?
That depends on what you mean by effective. There is pretty much no way to effectively brush a dog’s teeth. You can use a water based dog toothpaste, which is considered good because it doesn’t contain any abrasive chemicals, and can be applied with a circular motion around the teeth and gum line.
Something like the oral asceptic gel could come in handy to clean your dog’s teeth. However, the only way to really effectively clean your dog’s teeth is to do it yourself. You should not feed your dog treats or hard toys that encourage bad behaviour or chew their toys too hard if you do not plan on cleaning their teeth yourself.
Are Greenies good for dogs 2021?
Yes. Many dog owners love the Greenies brand of dental chews for their dogs.
If you are trying to decide between Greenies vs. Pedigree Dentastix or Dentley's, this Greenies vs. Pedigree comparison will help you.
Greenies vs. Pedigree Dentastix:
The two similar products are similar in that:
- they contain the same main ingredient, a type of bran (psyllium)
- they have different flavored crusts
- they both are made for cleaning the plaque from dogs' teeth
They are available with different flavors and sizes.
Greenies vs. Dentley's:
They are very similar in formula and texture, and pliability. They even come in some of the same sizes.
In the end, deciding between Greenies and Pedigree will come down to personal preference.
How often should you give your dog dental chews?
Anyone that has dogs knows that monitoring the oral health of their pups is an important and ongoing task. Dog dental chews are a great way to help maintain your dogs dental health. This one is a well-known dental chew that is great for dogs that want to chew and have a naturally healthy mouth. It can be used as often as once a week or as a more occasional treat.
To make the best use of these dog dental chews, it's best to use them alongside regular brushing. However, these treats will leave your dog's breath smelling fresher between teeth cleanings.
In terms of frequency, your dog's life and needs will determine if, when, and how often you give your dog a dental chew, just like it’s always important to use sizing guides in picking the right size toy for your dog.
The reason we chose these as the best dog dental chews is because they help to put the fun back into brushing your pet’s teeth and they are highly rated by dog owners.
These chews come from a company that is committed to making quality products for pets; however, some people do experience some digestive issues with the chews, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your dog.
Overall, this is a great product that will have your pet salivating when you show up with the treat jar.
|Greenies Original Regular Natural Dental Dog Treats||Best Overall|
|N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring Chicken Chew Treat||Budget Pick|
|GREENIES Grain Free Natural Dental Dog Treats||Upgrade Pick|