If you own a car, then you probably know how inconvenient it is when you invest in a dog barrier (safety hammock or pet hammock) to keep your dog safe while you drive.
The majority of dog barrier models available on the market are not very practical. Some are not safe, others do not work well, and some are just ridiculously overpriced.
If you don’t want to waste money on something that won’t work, and you want to get the best value for your money, then you’ve come to the right site.
We have reviewed the best dog barrier for your car, SUV, or RV for you.
|Zookeeper Pet Barrier||Best Overall|
|rabbitgoo Dog Car Net Barrier,13.98" × 15.55"||Budget Pick|
|Sailnovo Dog Barrier||Upgrade Pick|
1. Zookeeper Pet Barrier
- Fits almost any cars, trucks, and SUVs
- Easy to install
- Gates are made from metal tubes, not plastic
- Simple and easy to adjust
- Can be pricey
- Hard to find in local stores
The Zookeeper Pet Barrier is my top pick as this barrier is easy to install and use. It is sturdy and made of metal tubes. Also, it can fit almost any car, truck or SUV. The only downside is that you can only get this pet barrier in local stores.
Installation is quick and easy – all you need to do is slide the pet barrier and the metal clamp into your car seats, tighten, and you’re done. All 4 sides are able to adjust vertical and horizontal so they can fit almost any car seat.
These instructions are printed on the side of the box, so you don’t need to guess how this pet barrier is supposed to work.
2. BarksBar Original Pet Seat Cover
- Made of waterproof nylon
- Comes with an anti-slip rubber base
- Has a storage bag built in
- Available in various colors and patterns
- It completely removes mess with the included wipes
- The hammock-style is designed to fit any vehicle
- Hammock protects from mud, slush, rain, snow, etc.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Available in three sizes
- Has a lifetime guarantee against harmful UV rays
3. Bushwhacker – Deluxe Dog Barrier 56" Wide
- Features a universal mounting system that can be mounted in a few minutes without drilling.
- Designed to fit nearly all vehicles on the market.
- Non-visible pet barrier that takes up very little space.
- Keeps the pet secure without using a dangerous wire cage.
- It is foldable and easy to store.
- Ideal for larger pets and dogs that weigh about 30 pounds and above.
- You can connect it to a seat belt strap or tether for additional security.
- Allows ventilation and also keeps the fleas and ticks away from your pet.
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Comes with a spare cover and full installation kit.
- Some of the users has had a complaint about the plastic clips of buckles breaking under heavy load.
- Does not have the ability to contain larger pets.
- Not suitable for cars with small headroom and limited legroom
- Not suitable for tall owners.
The Bushwhacker is a versatile best dog car barrier that has a universal design. It has been developed using a unique flexible system that allows it to fit a wide variety of vehicles without making a hole in your car. In fact, it is one of the non-permanent barriers for pets.
4. rabbitgoo Dog Car Barrier
- Provides extra security for passengers in the backseat
- Can be adjusted to fit most vehicle types and seats
- Fits glass or metal frames
- Quick and easy installation
- Might not fit cars with slanted seats
- Poor customer service
There’s nothing worse than a dog who’s bored in the backseat of a car. Not only do they can become extremely restless, but they also tend to be much more mischievous. That’s why you need to ensure that your pup stays happy and occupied while you drive. This amazing dog car barrier comes with 2 restraint straps and 2 hooks that will ensure that your dog is safe and sound while driving in your car. Pet owners with larger dogs will be glad to know that this sits 4 inches above your windshield where most car windows are located. The car seat guard pro high-quality material ensures this is strong and sturdy, while protecting you from your dog’s nails.
5. Pawple Dog Barrier
- Sturdy, adjustable and easy to install
- Folds for storage
- You may need extra help from a van to install
- Tubing gets dented on rough surfaces
First off, the Pawple Dog barrier for SUV's, Cars & Vehicles Heavy-Duty pet barrier is easy to install and works great for SUV's. Simply click the car seat clips in and use the included seat belt lock to stop it from moving. Lifting the latch will release the seat belt lock instantly and allow you to pull it out.
The concealed zipper opening makes it much more elegant and stylish and prevents your furry friend from interfering with the zipper and putting his head in the way while you drive.
The Pawple Dog Barrier bars measure 2.75 inches apart, which helps keep your furry friends from trying to jump into your drivers seat.
6. Adakiit Dog Barrier
- Easy to install
- You can adjust the size according to your car size
- Heavier construction than most of the cheaper car barriers.
- The front window bar is longer than most of the other dog barriers
- The head rest bar is too short, and, hence, it can’t secure the head rest of your car.
The Adakiit dog barriers are sturdy and very easy to set up. The package comes with everything you need to secure your dog in the car including seat belts. However, you should know that the barrier is not as big as expected.
It is a good product so far according to the customer reviews, and it can keep your dog safe during your driving. It is a better choice if you do not have a large dog or if you want to carry a small dog in the front seat with you.
Saying something about its installation, the Adakiit is made of steel bars, and you can secure it with the seat belts. However, the headrest bar may not be strong enough to keep the headrest of the front seat, and your dog can push against it and break it.
7. URPOWER 100% Waterproof Pet Seat Cover Car Seat Cover
- Easy to install/remove
- Fits almost all cars
- Great customer service
- No anchor points
- No specific fit for certain cars
- May come off during car wash
For Small, Medium, Large Dogs – Black and Grey.
If you have a dog who’s a tad on the larger side, the URPOWER pet car seat cover is a perfect addition to your vehicle.
The cover fits most vehicles so if you have a more compact car, it’ll still do the job. The fabric is soft and convenient for your pet and the waterproof material keeps up its side of the bargain.
8. C CASIMR Heavy-Duty Dog Barrier
- Strong and sturdy
- Non-slip platform
- Easy to set up
- Can install on the left or right side of the car
- Very lightweight
- Good price
This C-Casimr dog barrier fills the gap in the market where most car dog barriers have been failing their customers. These are durable, strong, smooth designed dog barriers that are easy to install, remove and transfer. This can be installed on either left or right side of the car.
The C-Casimr heavy air dog barrier has a set of hard rubber feet that are attached to the sides. This will keep it from moving around your vehicle.
9. Dog Car Barriers
- The installation is easy and hassle-free
- Suitable for almost any car
- Great for pet parent who wants versatility
- It can be used as a seat belt guard, protection from pets scratches and teeth
- The top panel is adjustable for two sizes
- Some find the mesh is not as sturdy as nylon
- Some reported the barrier not as high as promised
The reason to choose this model is that it can be converted to the seat belt protector and be protected the car interior. That is why the description says its name – SUV car safety belt protector. High-quality material will give a guarantee of smooth operation and long-time service.
The device is sturdy and reliable, but light enough to transport and install in a minute. There is no need to drill holes in the car or use special tools, everything is done using the car seat belt and gear strap.
10. DYKESON Pet Barrier Dog Car Net Barrier
- Collapsible mesh bag for easy storage
- A wide variety of installation options
- Keeps dogs safe and secure
- Easy to use
- Strap can be difficult to undo
- Takes up a lot of space
- A little difficult to install
If you’ve never had dogs in your car before, you may not know why you need a dog barrier … but trust me, you need one!
Until I adopted my two dogs, Loki and Luna, I hadn’t realized just how many road trips I missed out on because I was afraid of trying to keep the pooches safe. It’s the right thing to do, keeping dogs secured in your car. But that doesn’t mean it’s the easiest thing to do. What solution can you trust to keep your pooch safe and comfortable?
Thankfully, several options are available to help. One of my favorite options available to us is a mesh barrier from DYKESON. This barrier comes with several functional components and can be set up in a variety of ways to suit different needs and vehicles.
11. Sailnovo Dog Barrier
- Barrier can lock into multiple positions
- Works with multiple car and SUV models
- Super easy to install
- Folds up for extremely easy storage
- Barrier can be detached from the seat
- No padding included
- Not suitable for tall dogs
Looking for something that will keep your dog happy, safe, and, most importantly, in the backseat? Then the iKamper Sailnovo Dog Barrier is the perfect solution.
This dog barrier not only keeps your puppy in the bloody backseat, you can also lock it into a variety of positions so your dog can enjoy the scenery to their heart’s content.
Plus, the barrier itself can easily be detached from the seat so you can free up space with ease, and the free-standing design makes it super easy to store while you’re not using it.
12. Honest Luxury Quilted Dog Car Seat Covers
- Both functional and stylish
- Has a side flaps for extra security
- Easy to install
- Machine washable
- 2-year warranty
- Available in three color options
(Large – Black)
Why you’ll love it: This is one of the most elegant looking dog car barriers that you can find on Amazon. It’s a two-piece system with a quilted design that looks great in just about any car. The side flap provides extra security especially if you have a hound that can’t sit still or gets anxious during the drive.
It can be difficult to find something that isn’t completely obnoxious to look at in order to keep your dog contained during a long drive. This is a solid option for those who aren’t looking for something that’s really flashy and who want something that’s going to be ideal for most occasions.
13. Vailge 100% Waterproof Dog Car Seat Covers
- Great customer service
- The cover is waterproof
- Reinforced ballistic nylon straps
- Ease of installation
- Quality stitching
- Reasonable price
- A flexible cover that fits dogs of different sizes
- The straps do not lock in place
- The cover can be hard to remove
After going through dozens of dog car barrier reviews, we found that the Vailge Dog Car Seat Cover is the best.
For our list, we checked the prices and read countless user reviews to find the best dog car barrier, taking into consideration the overall quality of the product, the quality of service provided by the seller, and the value for money.
Most seat covers come in a shape designed to fit the back seat of an SUV or a sedan. The Vailge, on the other hand, comes in a hammock design to accommodate the needs of cars that have a covered cargo area. That’s why it’s called a convertible car barrier.
14. AmazonBasics Adjustable Dog Car Barrier
- Very sturdy
- Comes with three separate sizes for a custom fit
- Easy assembly
- Stops dogs from moving backwards and forwards
- Can be a little wobbly with the two side clips
- The headrest can take some time to figure out
The Amazon Basics adjustable dog car barrier is the best choice if you’re looking for a no-fuss and easy to use barrier for your vehicle. The headrest can take some time to figure out but once you’ve got it rigged up properly it works just as you’d expect.
One thing people really love about these barriers is that they come with three different width adjustments, finishing off with a fairly wide 19.5-inch opening.
You can also attach these barriers to both the middle and the back seats on most cars and SUV models.
15. Active Pets Dog Back Seat Cover Protector Waterproof Scratchproof Hammock
- Protect vehicle seats from pet hair, dirt, spills and dander
- Washable, magnetic backing for easy on-off
- 100% anti-skid fabric with integrated seat belt buckle strap, Lower anchor straps included
- Perfect for road trips, family vacations, or everyday use
- Fully adjustable head and neck support for neck and heart protection
- 3-point snout protection to keep the face from sliding past edge of carrier
- High quality nylon product with quilted cotton interior lining, for extra comfort and warmth
- Adjustable shoulder straps for easy handling
16. Pikaon Front Seat Barrier
- No drilling required
- Easy to install
- Safe alternative to using seat belts
- Cozy place for your pets to relax on long trips
- Give your dog some privacy
- There are a number of complaints about the Clip size was too small for most of the seats
- Had to be attached with screws
- The stitching was coming apart in some reviews
- Straps can slip depending on their size
When you are going to an open air concert or just taking your pet out with you on your daily commute, it’s important to have a barrier that will protect your animal from jumping into the front seat and be kept safe. The Pik a Pup seat barrier is just that.
You can use this barrier (that fits in the center of the car seat) by unclipping the top rail and re-clipping it down in one of the three places there are to accommodate different vehicles. The strap easily clips in place and forms an X over your pet and will contain them safely in the backseat.
When your dog has been contained within the barrier, you can also put a small blanket over them if they prefer to feel concealed. The mesh is comfortable for your pet and allows you to see them whether they are sitting still or roaming about.
17. Ruff 'n Ruffus Heavy-Duty Dog Car Barrier
- Incredible reviews
- Very secure latch system
- Easy to install and remove
- Could be sturdier
- Gets dirty fast
If your vehicle is not equipped with a dog guard and you’re looking for a convenient solution for your pet to stick to the passenger seat, then the Ruff 'n' Ruffus heavy-duty car barrier is just what you need. This pet barrier is designed to complement the luxury SUVs and station wagons among others to create a more comfortable seating area for both you and your pet.
The Ruff 'n' Ruffus dog barrier does not require any tools for installation. It comes with a convenient latch system that locks it securely in place. Removing the device is hassle-free thanks to self-locking struts that help you move it aside without wrestling to take it out.
It is a durable option that weighs about 12 lbs and measures 20" x 24" x 43" when assembled while still allowing two extra pet latches to be extended from its sides. The barriers are adjustable with the aid of button hinges which help to decrease the roominess that some dogs prefer.
18. rabbitgoo Dog Car Net Barrier,13.98" × 15.55"
- The metal hooks are sturdy
- The net pockets can be used for storage
- Provides an advantage over other nets
- The mesh enables proper ventilation
- Protects the interior of the car
- The holes are not large enough
- Suitable for dogs weighing up to 35 lbs
19. Dog Barrier
- Universal Fit
- Works on SUV's, Cars, Vans, Trucks
- Easy to Install
- Works with pets of all sizes
- Great for long distances
- Dog stays calm while traveling
- Safe and secure
- Some dogs may jump the barrier
- May require additional straps for larger dogs
- Takes a little time for dog to get used to it
This barrier is fantastic for the dog that wants to stick his head outside or jump around and distract you while you’re driving.
With the adjustable straps that you can loosen or tighten, this barrier can fit any vehicle or SUV.
And because it’s rather heavy-duty, it’s going to work great with bigger dogs.
20. Wellbro Dog Car Backseat Barrier
- No tools required for assembly
- Padded and durable nylon net
- 2 mesh windows
- Easy to install
- Easy to install, quick adjustments in a matter of seconds
- May need help with very large car seats and strange angles
- Window mesh may catch on the seatbelt
The Wellbro Dog Car Backseat Barrier is the best safety dog barrier for your pet.
It serves to:
- Prevent your dog from entering the front seat, hindering your ability to drive, and causing accidents
- Keep your pet safe from pet hair, dust, pet stains, allergens, risk of getting kicked, scratched, and stepped on
- Prevent you dog from eating or drinking anything he/she shouldn't, and especially from drinking any liquid containing alcohol, berry juice or berry juice concentrate
- Keep the dog from getting hurt by your belongings, such as papers, wiper blades, and rearview mirrors
- Allow your pet to look out of the window when he/she feels bored with plain car journeys
- Make you feel comfortable with your pet
21. High Road Dog Car Barrier
- Designed to be very user friendly
- Quality is great
- Keeps dogs secure in the car while driving
- It can be mounted easily
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- May not be the most secure option out there
- Some customers complain about the price
By taking into account the various features, we recommend you to use the High Road Dog Car Barrier with Full View Mesh Cover and Padded Steel Frame. It will hold your dog in the back seat without any worry. It is very easy to install. You can also secure it with the help of the safety belt clips.
This product is designed to be very user-friendly. Dogs will not be able to jump those barriers. The manufacturing material of this product is very high-quality, so many customers are satisfied with this product.
This product is very sturdy. It can hold weight up to 150 lbs. You can use this product with confidence. The installation process is also very easy. You will not have any problem with this product. You can install it in your car in just a few minutes. You should check out the full review of the High Road Dog Car Barrier with Full View Mesh Cover and Padded Steel Frame on Amazon.
22. AUTOWN Car Dog Barrier
For Dog, Pet.
This car dog barrier is another great choice, especially for those looking for a good bargain value.
Available at three different sizes: medium, large, and extra large, the AUTOWN Car Dog Barrier is built based on the needs and size of your dog.
23. GoodStore Dog Barrier
- A Better Way to Keep Your Dog Safe in the Car
- A Better Way to Keep Your Baby Safe in the Car
- Budget-Friendly Option
- Not Very Durable
- Lacks Recline Feature
The GoodStore pet dog car barrier seat is an affordable option to keep your pooch safe in the car. It’s specially designed to work for small, medium, and large size dogs. This dog car seat barrier is a great way to keep your dog contained in one area while you’re driving.
The GoodStore barrier acts as a great dog car seat belt by attaching to the car seat belt buckle on your vehicle. This gives you additional peace of mind about your dog’s safety during your trip.
I love the fact that this seat cover is a do-it-yourself solution and doesn’t require permanent modifications to your vehicle or seat. With just a few easy steps you can have a safe place for your dog to sit in your car.
24. STARROAD-TIM Dog Car Barrier Vehicle Pet Barrier Backseat Mesh Dog Car Divider Net
- Highway Approved
- Seatbelt Compatible for All Vehicles
- Brand Name behind it with multiple star rating reviews
- 300lbs Weight Capacity with Quality Materials
- Can be Difficult to Set Up
- Car Specific
If you are looking for a classic, affordable pet barrier to keep your furry friend safe in the car, the STARROAD-TIM Dog Car Barrier Vehicle Pet Barrier Backseat Mesh Dog Car Dividers Net is the best barrier for the job.
This dog barrier is easy to set up and fits in all vehicles, including SUVs, buses and trucks.
You simply place the rubber band between the seats and the dog barrier is installed. The dog barrier is equipped with a seat belt safety hook, which lets you safely use seatbelts and the center loop, which is for seat belts.
25. Doggie World Dog Car Seat Cover
- Can be easily installed
Dog car barriers & covers are important for many pet owners. They are useful if you have a dog that is a bit rambunctious and wants to always stick his nose out of a window. If you have a vehicle than comes standard with doggie car barriers you might not need to purchase a separate one. However, if you don’t have a barrier or if you have a smaller vehicle that doesn’t have a built in barrier, a cheaper barrier can be more cost effective.
This is one of the Top 3 Best Selling dog car barriers on Amazon for 2019. The material is soft and allows your dog to lie down comfortably while being protected. It doesn’t have anything that can be chewed off or any parts that can loosen and fall apart. And the best part? It’s a barrier you can install quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best pet barrier for an SUV?
The answer is up to your needs. An easy way to choose the right dog barrier for your vehicle is assess your needs, your vehicles, and your dog.
First, consider how big your dog is. Get the barrier that is the appropriate length from front to back. Having a barrier that is too small is a hassle, and there’s a chance your dog could be able to jump over it.
You’ll also want to consider your exact needs.
Do you live in an area with lots of dogs?
Do you travel often?
Do you need to use the barrier in the back seat? The front?
Finally, think about your dogs’ behavior.
Are they trained or not?
Is it difficult to control them in the car?
Are they easily distracted?
What is the best vehicle for large dogs?
Fortunately (or sadly), there is no central organization that can answer to this question.
If you own a large dog, and you are wondering what is the best vehicle for it, here is what you need to know: The best vehicle depends on your dog.
There are a lot of factors you have to pay attention to.
Gracie is a therapy dog with a large frame. She loves to sit behind the driver. On the other hand, Diego enjoys long trips in the vehicle.
This dog bar and hardware installation is expensive, but simple to set up and use. Diego immediately started using it.
It is also a nice tool to keep your big dog close to you. It keeps your pet off your backseat, so you don't have to see (smell) the mess.
The following models are our favorite car barriers for large dogs:
How do you keep a dog from getting in the front seat?
The best way to keep a dog from getting in the front seat is with a dog car barrier. These are seats that fit between the front seats and help prevent pets from getting to the front seat. These are one of the most important safety items to have.
Many people do not realize how much force it takes for a dog to open a car door. In fact, the force needed to open a car door of a truck or SUV is often the same required to break out of the door or window of a house.
So, you need a car barrier to keep your dog in place in case of an accident and to keep them from getting in the front seat.
Are pet barriers safe?
There's no way around the fact that pet barriers represent a risk to your dog. A cat could be crushed between the barrier and another vehicle, or, your dog could be injured or killed by a vehicle when it hits the barrier. It's also possible for a pet barrier to fail, and if that happens, a dog could be thrown from the vehicle.
Since you know about this risk, you're likely wondering if the barriers are safe. When you select a barrier that's designed to minimize this risk, you can be sure you're making the right decision for you and your pet.
The best dog car barrier will help to prevent your dog from jumping into the front seat and distracting you while you’re driving. So there are many factors to consider such as your budget, the size of your dog, and your own preference. Our top recommendation is a set of 1inch wide and 4-inch tall flexible plastic mesh bands. They are easy to install, clean, and will hold up well to your dog’s claws. These are also the best option for car seat barriers.
|Zookeeper Pet Barrier||Best Overall|
|rabbitgoo Dog Car Net Barrier,13.98" × 15.55"||Budget Pick|
|Sailnovo Dog Barrier||Upgrade Pick|